Recent finds, $5.00 gold piece from a Ca. China ghost town.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Forum friends,

George posted a link of this story on the General discussion board, To show others the importance of being honest, doing what's right and I agree with George.

Sometimes the finds we make need to go back to the property owners, And above all be honest with the property owner. Based from some of the replies on the General discussion board, Several misunderstood or don't understand the purpose of giving back the gold coin.....This post should clarify why I'm giving back the gold coin and most of the finds I made during these recent trips to his property, Thanks George and the several others from his post for understanding.

Recently, Discovered my first Gold coin, A beautiful 1852 $5.00 gold piece up in the California gold country. An area I've been detecting for about 20 plus years, An 1850's China town nested on a hill with a nearby Gold Mining town beside....At it's peak, 2500-3000 Chinese immigrants lived on this hill.

The 1850's China town has long been deserted and all that remains are foundations, broken pieces of china, square nails and broken rusty shovels. The owner has allowed me to detect this hill top every year, Always a warm welcome to roam his land as a quest even allowing me to bring a friend or two. And I always said to the owner if I ever find a gold coin on your property it's yours!

Each trip in has always given me plenty of Chinese cache coins and some neat relics, Never a silver or gold coin and always went home happy as a lark....This year, Changed to using newer model single freq detectors and picked up an older Compass GoldScanner Pro. Because of the high amount of iron this area contains, the newer single freq detectors including the older GoldScanner Pro peek between the iron allot better than other detectors I had used before.

This year, We managed to get one gold coin, six seated dimes and about 70-80 Chinese cache coins. Of the six seated dimes recovered, I found three of them and the $5.00 gold coin as well and a pouch full of cache coins....The dates on my seated dimes are 1843, 1853 & 1883 and an 1852 $5.00 gold piece. The three other seated dimes my friends found they can keep, And the owner is ok with my friends keeping the finds they made included the seated coins.

With the owner trusting and allowing me to detect here all these years that is something I will always remember and cherish, The display with the gold & seated coins goes to the property owner along with the better finds from the area made these past two 1/2 months, This is my decision and not the owners, He is very appreciative, deserves the nice display and his family appreciate these finds to share with friends and future generations to come....This is one of those circumstances when the finds belong with the owner and his family, What better way to preserve these finds knowing they will always remain on the property and be well cared for with a family who's family lived here for generations.

Thanks!
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,884
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 5,875
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 5,850
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,833
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 5,792
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,744
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds makes me want to go up in the foothills again.From aa battery in the great central valley ;)

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Awesome post, OC! Great display for the land owners, and what a wonderful thing for you to do. I'd like to think I'd do the same (I can see it now....I hand the display to the land owner, then engage in a brief tug of war with him as the devil on my left shoulder says "keep it, you wuss", while the angel on my right shoulder says "do the right thing"). Guess I watched Animal House a few too many times.

Anyway, congrats on the gold coin and the other great finds. You'll always have the pictures and memories of a lot of great years hunting that spot. By the way, loved seeing the pic showing where the gold coin was dug...that's EXACTLY where I would have looked.

MP

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Wow, very cool of you. I have given away a few of the things that I have dug, but I am not sure if I COULD part with my first gold coin. I guess it would feel better than knowing that I had to "sneak" it off someones property. I usually avoid mentioning gold for that very reason !! Again, GREAT find, really nice display, congrats !!

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Some serious credit goes your way! Thats the most honourable thing I have heard in a dang long time!
People like you make this a great hobby and a better world!

Have fun,
Salvager

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I congratulate you on your integrity.

When I've told other MDers of my feeling that not showing finds to property owners was tantamount to "being invited to dinner and then pocketing silverware", they've pretty much told me I was crazy.
Someone even suggested carrying a low-grade buffalo nickel to give to the owner (while you made off with the real finds).
I guess I'd rather be 'dumb' than that brand of smart.
Good going..

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Old!!!

Thats a great looking display to boot!!!

By the way, the dog can catch but can he hit a ball?? I hear the Yankees are looking for some talent.

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks everyone for the kind words,

I seen a couple of questions and someone from my area,

AA Battery, I may have meet you once at Roeding park? I do remember meeting someone having a garret detector and I shared with him to hunt the oleander bushes beside the tracks, Allot of wheaties and some silver coins came out of this area and I think it may have been you I talked too? Anyway, Since we live so close maybe one of these days we can meet in Fresno or nearby.

Zoyboy, It was not I that had a part with Whites DVD. However, I do have a couple of friends that are on a Whites DVD but I wasn't any part of it.

eathabs, The dog belongs to the owner of the property. This pup has allot of energy and alerts us when rattlesnakes or critters are nearby, I always look forward to seeing this dog whenever I detect the property.

Thanks again gang for the kind and encouraging words,
Paul (Ca)

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
HI PAUL>>>>>>>>

;D

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Tim,

Good to see you attend this forum too, I've been away form this forum but will visit daily now that I have more time.

Take care buddy and hope to see you soon, Watch out for the gold rings with fingers still attached :)

HH, Paul

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul I have known you on the forums for several years...

and always read your posts. I consider you a valued friend and honest person. I wish we did not live at almost opposite ends of the country as I would very much like to spend an enjoyable day hunting with you.

The T2 you loaned to me for some trials here in Michigan is on the way back to you. Its a great machine but the friend we find and make are more important!

Later my friend
Tom

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thank you Tom, I feel the same and even though we've never met and live on opposite ends of the country friends we are.

I'm glad you like the T-2 and made some neat finds, That same T-2 has scored me many seated coins and two shield nickels and I see it bagged a shield for you too :) Darn good detector and loves them old nickels, Can't wait for the smaller coil to come out!

Thanks again Tom and be keeping in touch with you.....You're right.....The friend we find and make are more important!
Talk to you soon amigo,
Paul (Ca)

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Tom, I used to have some mineral rights to gas wells in the Antrim Devonian Shale. Had to sell them several years back.
My grandfather was State Forest Supervisor at Fife Lake from 1912 or so to 1945. I plan to make a trip up to the former site of Forest HQ in July to look for a gold ring my Aunt lost in 1924 (and whatever else I can find). If you want to gang up on the site, PM me and we can set it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread