Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2180.JPG DSCN2181.JPG DSCN2182.JPG

Found this large Spanish coin years ago and although it is holed and I count it as a jewelry find rather than a coin find, it is my oldest silver. It was dug at a still standing and occupied house yard that was built in 1733. Sadly the site was destroyed years ago in the name of "progress". The half dollar is for size reference. I really like the little pin, love the "keep the babies well" slogan!! Dime is for size reference.

Upvote 8

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Not spanish, it's a King George II Half Crown. An English coin, the word Lima coin means it was struck from silver took from Lima. Very cool, many old coins that were not jewelry have been holed. I think you got a very incredible find, I would have a heart attack on the spot if I dug it.

"The word LIMA below the King's bust records that this coin was struck with bullion seized by Admiral Anson during his world voyage (1739-1743) or by other privateers in the Atlantic. The word LIMA was added to the coin at the request of the Bank of England to commemorate the exploits. Much of the Spanish coin captured bore the Lima mint mark."

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic finds; all of them.
Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not spanish, it's a King George II Half Crown. An English coin, the word Lima coin means it was struck from silver took from Lima. Very cool, many old coins that were not jewelry have been holed. I think you got a very incredible find, I would have a heart attack on the spot if I dug it.

"The word LIMA below the King's bust records that this coin was struck with bullion seized by Admiral Anson during his world voyage (1739-1743) or by other privateers in the Atlantic. The word LIMA was added to the coin at the request of the Bank of England to commemorate the exploits. Much of the Spanish coin captured bore the Lima mint mark."

One of the very first colonial coins I dug almost 20 years ago was a counterfeit 1745 shilling, and it included the "LIMA" under the bust as did the legit coins from that time. Mine was made from pewter and rang in slightly above nickle level. Didn't know what I had at first being a green horn, but I soon figured it out. But a genuine half crown is an awesome and very rare find here in the US as are any milled British silver coins from the late 17th into the 18th century. Exporting silver coinage to the colonies at that time was a forbidden practice, but a few made it over. And gunsil found one of them. Very nice indeed!!

1745.JPG

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super coins. Sometimes the hole was put in coins so they could be sewn onto clothing so as not to lose it. Evidently didn't workout so well considering how many are found holed.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Basically the same story but with specifics as to who were the Captains:
During the War of the Austrian Succession, Great Britain was the ally of Maria Theresa of Austria, and fought its two greatest maritime rivals, France and Spain. In July 1745, Captains James Talbot and John Morecock, commanding two
privateers in the North Atlantic, thePrince Frederick and the Duke, captured two French treasure ships returning from Callao, the port of
Lima. Their haul was £800,000 in silver coins and ingots, plus gold and other goods. When they landed at Bristol in October it took 45 wagons to transport the coin and bullion (which weighed over 78 tons) to the Tower Mint. There the silver was used in the production of the so-called 'Lima' coinage of 1746. It was requested that the word 'Lima' be used on the coins to celebrate the exploit. Here LIMA can be seen spelled out under the portrait of King George II (reigned 1727-60)
Source: British Museum - Silver 'Lima' crown (5 shillings) of George II
Don......

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super coins. Sometimes the hole was put in coins so they could be sewn onto clothing so as not to lose it. Evidently didn't workout so well considering how many are found holed.

I am not one of those who believe coins were holed to sew into clothing. Coins were sewn into clothing in little pockets. I have seen literally thousands of old coins that were holed for jewelry while working for an antique and estate jewelry store. Many of the coins in necklaces and bracelets I have seen were 18th and 19th century silver coins. Defacing coins was a no-no long ago as it is now if they were to be used in circulation. I have several other smaller holed coins from the 1700s that I have found over the years, and I believe they were all holed to wear as ornaments or jewelry. Old time hunters like myself always call coins that were used in jewelry as jewelry finds, not coin finds although that criteria seems to have disappeared with the later or newer hunters. It seems to me to be harder to find early silver coins without holes than to find them with holes. I found that coin and others back in the early 1970s with my trusty Garrett BFO Master Hunter. Thanks to those who straightened me out about it's being an English coin, it hasn't seen the light of day out of my safe for many years, and when I found it I assumed it was Spanish due to the Lima mark.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread