My best coin yet!! Old stone wall yields beautiful coin!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uploaded better photos!!! Hey guys I usually post in today's finds but haven't in quite sometime. Although lately life has been filled with many silvers and Indians. I've always been a huge history buff and have been doing a lot of research of where I live and it goes back to the 1600s...anyways let's get started!
So yesterday my detecting buddy asked me to fix his car and then we were going to go detecting on the quads for a while. Well needless to say we didn't have the right tools for the job so three hours later my buddy had to get some sleep(nightshift) and couldn't go detecting. I already had my quad packed because I rode it to his house packed so I decided I would go without him. There are many trails from my house to his but I took the usual route. On my way back I saw a where a stone wall divided two different properties in the woods. I happen to have permission to be on the properties so I parked off the trail and suited up.
First off let me start this off by saying I've only recently started really detecting stonewalls. When I started a few years back I never had any luck at all just garbage.
Once I got suited up I started towards the wall and pulled 2 shotgun shells or I should say remains of shells. I made my way to the corner and BOOM!! Barbed wire. Go figure more junk. So I made my way past the buried barbed wire to the corner. All the sudden I hear it again but with a a loud screaming 82-83 on the AT. Thank god for target separation. The object was between 2"-4" on the screen so I figured it was probably a piece of copper pipe or aluminum . Well needless to say I carefully removed the dirt and I could see "ONE DIME". Ok great a barber I'll take it. I flip it over and I see the seat ! It is a 1876-cc seated liberty dime!!! Nice but why is it so white and I look closer and the detail is AMAZING!!! I didn't wipe the dirt off I just put it in my cotton ball container and went home. I went home and didn't rub it or wash it I just ran it under slow running water as the most of the dirt came off itself and i let it air dry. I put it in a 2x2 making sure there was nothing abrasive that would damage the coin on the coin.
I'd like some input on the coin although the pictures are a little blurry I can see very fine detail down to her eyes her hair it looks as if there are not worn spots on the coin at all. I could see the all the detail on the leaves and every corn kernel.The edge is extremely crisp too. I'm wonderig why the coin is so white and clean too I found a lot of silver coins since I've been doing this but never found anything the color of this. There are very minor scratches on the flat parts of the seated lady but they are old and that's under 30-60x magnification. I'm considering having it professional cleaned and graded. Like I said you can see all detail but pictures it's tough to see. The last few pictures are the best!!Please feel free to give me input and criticism. Thanks for reading this is what I consider my best find so far this year because of the detail it looks AU!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430357961.412447.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430357979.530430.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430357995.713857.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430358015.049936.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 18

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, hope to find one like that !!! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the seated. Welcome to the 1800's club. :bronzetrophy:

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Seated. The detail is amazing. Congrats!

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses I've been on the 1800s club for a few years with my 1810 holes half dollar and many more but the detail has never been close to what this is.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS A BEAUTY !!:thumbsup:

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! This is an absolutely fantastic 1876-CC dime! Spectacular detail and well done not rubbing off any of the dirt until you got home. You would have given it hairlines otherwise. Not only a fantastic AU condition Seated dime - but a CC mint to boot! Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for replies what's the input on a guessed grade I'm really thinking AU I know it's hard from pics but it's almost like a proof like surface.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old and beautiful coin.

Congrats on a great find and great hunt.

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great story!! I dont even rub roosies... Anyway, from the pictures and my years if grading coins, i would have to save that it is About Uncirculated... Extra fine guaranteed... Better pics or coin in hand would give the whole story though... Thats a winner for sure!! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an extremely nice Seated Liberty Dime and especially one that is 139 years old! It was likely dropped shortly after the original owner received it from a Bank or in change which was likely, not long after it was minted. Even though it is hard to really make a good determination by viewing pics of the coin through the clear mylar but agree that it appears every bit an AU coin. With a potential value of say $100 to possibly $185 or so, I am not sure that you would want to go the route of Conservation, Certification and Grading. You only need to loosen the stuck on crud on the coin and remove it, then a short bath Rubbing Alcohol will like bring a lot of luster back to the coin. I am not sure as to whether Kroll Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil or a warm Dishwashing Liquid and water bath would work the best to loosen the stuck on crud. You might experiment on another less valuable Dime which has similar crud stuck to it's surface to see which works best. If Kroll Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then you would still need to bathe the coin in a warm Dishwashing liquid and water bath to remove either oil, rinse with cold water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, then rinse with Rubbing Alcohol, rinse again with cold water, then pat dry again between the folds of a soft towel before 2x2'ing the coin again. If you need to rub the coin lightly to remove any stubborn stuck on crud, I would advise doing so when you rinse it with Rubbing Alcohol and only with a soft fingertip. If you try these methods and once done and before you 2x2 the coin again, please take some pics and post them here. We may be able to then make a better determination of the condition (grade) of the coin!

Frank

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info dirt digger and Frank. I'm definitely going to try on another dime first to see if I can do this. ONE DIME on the back is also doubled and there are some other things too but I guess there is 30-40 different varieties of the coin. I will try to put better pictures up a little later.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info dirt digger and Frank. I'm definitely going to try on another dime first to see if I can do this. ONE DIME on the back is also doubled and there are some other things too but I guess there is 30-40 different varieties of the coin. I will try to put better pictures up a little later.

I would really like to see pics of the coin you are referring to! Many Dimes and especially early one's have Die Clashing and/or Counter Die Clashing on them, some of which is aligned and some mis-aligned and I have not only found some in purchases but also owned and sold many of these. I wonder if this is may be part of what you are referring!!?? The link below shows images of Obverses and Reverses of coins and how mis-aligned Die Clashes (MAD Die Clashes) will or somewhat look like on coins. Some Die Clashing, Counter Die Clashing and mis-aligned Die Clashing will often be fairly weak on coins where the Dies were polished and/or ground to remove the Clashing while on some coins, the Clashing can be strong, especially if the Clashing on the Dies went unnoticed during a portion of the production process of minting/striking coins!

http://maddieclashes.com/dimes.html

Frank

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank...I was aware of the varities but can't figure it out. If you look at the OF on the coin the O isn't connected on top and almost all of ONE DIME is doubled and the I is very light. Let me know what you think or anyone too...after an hour of trying to figure out better shots...although with a 10x loupe and a iPhone 5s...I got them so here u go ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947404.205123.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947419.755227.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947435.473193.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947448.824371.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947463.342230.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947477.693361.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947516.680089.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947547.966323.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947566.867744.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947577.685671.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947587.386045.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430947597.620558.jpg

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's different varieties of the 1876-cc dime with doubling and what not just google it I think there is like 36 varieties. But any input would help. Also it has a raised rim on both sides but only goes about halfway maybe a little more around the coin. It's so shiny it almost looks prooflike because it's so white. But any input would be great!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you realized its a Carson City mint?? That's a great coin brother!! Congrats. The Mint makes it even more rare. Cheers.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was having difficulty determining which Variety the coin is, so I have included a link below that (I believe) shows all of the Varieties in hopes that someone would be able to identify the Variety. However, I happened to take another look and I am amazed that I actually found it. According to the website below, it is a Variety 103 according to the 1st link below. While I haven't been able to determine for sure the exact Fivaz-Stanton (FS) Variety it probably has the same number. It appears that this coin is highly sought after and valuable, especially in the higher grades which is evidence by the 2nd link below.

Liberty Seated Dimes Varieties 1837-1891 - 1876-CC Pictorial

Archive Detail

Frank

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting