Colt 45 cartridge maybe tied to "Buckskin" Frank Leslis

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colt 45 cartridge maybe tied to gunslinger "buckskin" Frank Leslie

Frank Leslie was a Tombstone rowdy. Well-mannered when sober and evil-tempered when drunk. He took his latest amour - Mollie Williams - to a ranch in a canyon along the east side of the Chiricahua Mountains about 20 miles east of Tombstone. He came home drunk one afternoon and ended up shooting poor Mollie in the head. She was buried there at the ranch. Frank was found guilty and sentenced to the Yuma Territorial prison. He gave his Colt to the man who drove him to Yuma. At some point the pistol was donated to the Arizona Historical Society.

After some searching, I found that Mollie's grave was on private property. I went there and the owner was kind enough to let me visit her grave. As it turned out, I arrived in July on the anniversary of her death. Not 20 feet from her grave, I found this cartridge. The owner of the ranch wasn't interested in it so I took it home. I contacted the historical society, maybe they can run forensics on it. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be able to get firing pin ID off of the casing. Interesting! I hope it works out for you. Sub 8-)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately the only way to find out one way or another is to have another casing that was known to have been fired in the pistol.Then the two casings have to have the indentation of the firing pin mark microscopically examined for similarities.

jones11

May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can be so what happened? I'm not exhausted thought full of puzzles
o.png

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will hear on Monday if they will obtain a "master" shot cartridge to compare with mine.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was trying to help with forensics and I found out that in 1881 Buckskin(frank) ordered a 44 revolver from Colt with a 12 inch barrel that would take 44 winchester catridges. It was browned and had a very beautiful ivory handle. This was about 6 years before killing mollie. Colt did indeed make the pistol for him.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, if you are able to tie this shell to the killing of Mollie, the story is complete.
Was Frank sent to Yuma prison, and then hanged, or was it a life sentence for him....anyone know? thnx!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread