8.3 KB · Views: 873
  • Reverse Type 1 dollar & widows mite.jpg
    Reverse Type 1 dollar & widows mite.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 857
Upvote 0

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
Re: My oldest Coin & a type 1 gold dollar

That's a beautiful coin! Does it have a date on it? It looks new.... Nothing like finding gold! WTG

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

spotz said:
Widows mite is about 1000 BC.

This is the kind of thing I'd be real leary discussing. I think the Israeli government claims everything people find in Israel, no matter how small.

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Sorry to say that I did not find these with a detector. The gold dollar is a genuine 1853 & speaks for itself. I have great affection for gold coins & this just one of many I own. I have yet to find one detecting, but the day will come. Just takes patience, lots of research & some luck. The widows mite also has documentation but I actually purchased it in Bethleham from the son of the man who found the Dead Sea Scrolls. It was a legal purchase & was declared when I departed Isreal. Spotz

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

You can also buy the widows mites thru Littleton Coin Co.

C

Copper

spotz said:
Sorry to say that I did not find these with a detector.

Always nice to read honest postings.

As for the mite, or any number of other ancient coins found in Israel, they're exported legally by the hundreds (or thousands) every day.

I really like your type 1. I don't have one of these yet. I recently picked up a EF++ type 3 on ebay for about half of what it was worth. They are extra special coins. I've got pieces of eight galore but they don't compare with those beautiful US gold pieces. Each is not only a fabulous work of art, they are a reminder of what we once were as a nation. Sorry to say, those days are gone forever.

knorrski

Feb 21, 2005
Indiana

It Doesn't matter if you detect them or buy them when you collect coins...Nice coins Knorrski

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread