RING: 81 Diamonds in a 585 (14K) White Gold Setting - Found with ACE 350

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in a city park about 4.5 inches down. My son was with me, and it was an amazing experience! We ended up going to a jeweler straight from the park, and it was confirmed all the diamonds are real. The three main stones have a very unique cut, with a 6 facet top, visible in the expanded view of the ring. Initial evaluations placed the stones at white and nearly white in clarity (there's NO yellowing in the stones, visible that I could tell... any color you see in the photo is due to the fact I took it in a colorful Mexican Restaurant, on a paper napkin using an iPhone! [you can actually see the lights of the restaurant's ceiling near the hallmark!]). The only occlusions I could note in the 20X microscope were pinpoints in the main stones. Each diamond is prong inserted (normal for high quality jewelry), and all larger stones have openings beneath to capture light. In the sunlight, this ring just DAZZLES!

Due diligence was performed: lost and found ads were searched, the city was called, Parks and Rec was called, and Lost and Found was called. In the end, I was explicitly told I could keep the ring, due to the depth of the find and lack of any reported losses. The conversation even ended with "Good luck hunting!" (The city is clearly very metal detectorist friendly!)

Jeweler estimates put the ring value between $4K to $6K, but suggested the price could be much higher, given the cuts of the stones. I did not opt for a full appraisal.

Enjoy!

Skippy
Photo Removed. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 27

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY THERE SHIPPY THAT DIAMOND RING SURE IS PRETTY ......, HECK OF A FIND ...

fladetector

Aug 26, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Whites 4900D Pro plus
Garrett At pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have walked several miles in the parks around here but only found coins. Man I would be me a new detector with that find. I keep trying with my Whites 4900d. That's a beautiful ring

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Very Nice! I can imagine how your heart felt when you popped it out of the ground! I will find one too someday! WTG! :thumbsup:

It actually didn't do anything when it first lifted in the dirt flap. I SWORE it was costume jewelry. Just called my kid over and he said, "cool," then kept detecting, too. I detected for a bit more (there were folks around watching, so I'm always careful), before I turned my back to them and pulled it out to really take a look. When I saw the 585 inside the band, I knew I had gold, but double checked on the phone while my son brushed off the dirt from the diamonds. When he had it cleared out, we were so giddy, we could barely breathe! The rest of the story is just that... Adrenaline for about 2 hours. Was AWESOME... and even better that I got to share it with my son!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have walked several miles in the parks around here but only found coins. Man I would be me a new detector with that find. I keep trying with my Whites 4900d. That's a beautiful ring

Stay on it. I've found gold 8 rings... all in city parks. nothing special to it, other than finding places where people like to lay stuff down (like on a towel or blanket or whatnot.) By best ring density finds are where they do that and are close to their car... For some reason, I think people get up and go and get gone before realizing stuff is missing...

Skippy

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! If I dug that up I'd run forever like Forrest Gump

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this post, Skippy, but that is an awe inspiring find. I have yet to find the gold-diamond combo in a ring. I've found silver-diamond, or gold only. So I have a goal to get one like yours, however small! Congratulations and you have about enough trade value for one semester of college for your son...Sub8-)

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how I missed this post, Skippy, but that is an awe inspiring find. I have yet to find the gold-diamond combo in a ring. I've found silver-diamond, or gold only. So I have a goal to get one like yours, however small! Congratulations and you have about enough trade value for one semester of college for your son...Sub8-)

I would have never guessed I would have peaked at 6 months in. I doubt I'll ever find anything nearly as valuable. I once "detected" a corvette in a parking lot, but the owner was still in it. Apparently, it's not ALL finders keepers. :)

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you tell me what city you were in. Mine has banned all TH'ing in city parks. I need examples of other city that don't in our fight to stop the discrimination against us using public parks like "normal" people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread