My avatar.....found a few years ago 1668 -1697 1/2 real cob

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=2]I believe it to be a 1/2 real cob based on its weight......it is undated..... and believed to be a Carlos II 1/2 R, minted between 1668 and 1697, Mexico City mint..... I found it in a city park in Florida, near an old Spanish Mission Fort. Thanks for looking.[/h]
1668-1697 half real.JPG 1668-1697 half real mexico city mint.JPG

Upvote 6
OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Ruskinredneck.......Thanks for your comment, and Welcome as a recent New Member......it is an incredible find for most of us.....but many older Tnet members, in some states where there were a lot of Spanish, find coins like this on a regular basis, by hunting areas where the very early Spanish, lived, worked or gathered.....so it is all about research, and then making your own reality by spending many hours/experience behind a good metal detector.......the coin I found is only worth between $75 - $100, and is common in the area I found it. My daughter has been an archaeologist for the state of Florida for over 20 years, and has 2 coins exactly like mine in their museum at the San Luis Spanish Mission site and Fort in Tallahassee, Florida. The Spanish Fort was rebuilt recently on the original site of the original fort, and my daughter helped to excavate the site finding the original huge foundation posts and layout of the old fort that had been gone for over 200 hundred years........If you are ever in Tallahassee, I would recommend taking a tour of it......Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool con buddy. I have a 1664 and it is awesome to have a hammered coin

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cob there, I can only dream of finding one of those

Top Member Reactions