Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Is your best find so good you wont post it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2003
    Illinois / Oklahoma
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro - Fisher CZ 5
    2785 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I cant post my best find on the forum, because my wife does not want her face on the internet !!

us
    May 2015
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertFox View Post
    I'd post it, but won't post the location unless I had claim on the property.
    I could track where you are because every computer has a sorta location ip, and i can track exactly where you live..

us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Teknetics Omega 8000, Fisher Gold Bug (original), Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune H
    630 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itzyoboyandrew View Post

I could track where you are because every computer has a sorta location ip, and i can track exactly where you live..
    You easily route through another IP so as to disguise one's exact location.
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

us
    May 2015
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicscott View Post
    You easily route through another IP so as to disguise one's exact location.
    I guess thats worth looking into, but im sure if the government wanted to get involved they have ways..

us
    Mar 2013
    Kansas
    Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro
    265 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never posted finds. Never will. Not interested in what others find either unless site specific to what I'm doing locally. But, I've been at it over 50 years. Not much I haven't seen.
    ecmo likes this.
    A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

us
    May 2015
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by foiler View Post
    Never posted finds. Never will. Not interested in what others find either unless site specific to what I'm doing locally. But, I've been at it over 50 years. Not much I haven't seen.
    Are you sure? i thought digging up a meth lab was pretty bad, recently i dug up a dildo to...
    lastleg likes this.

Nov 2015
    260 times
    I wouldn't care at all. I tell anyone where I go and what I find if they ask. I don't go out of my way to broadcast it but I feel it's kind of stingy to Be all secretive. Helping out other people that are interested in any kind of treasure hunting is what " I feel" it's all about!If I find coins I tell people where I found them. If I found a cool Native American spot I'll tell people to meet me there and we can hunt together. The only time I would not tell someone is if I knew something I found was still there and it was too big to take that day and I was coming back for it. Other than that sharing formation can help newcomers or even veterans of hunting get exciting finds. As far as the Gov is concerned. Who cares if the gov sees your post? Couldn't you just say it's fake and you were doing it for entertainment purposes only?
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Teknetics Omega 8000, Fisher Gold Bug (original), Centech Pinpointers, Lesche. Owned: Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gold Bug, BH Fortune H
    630 times

I guess thats worth looking into, but im sure if the government wanted to get involved they have ways..
    No doubt about that!
    Peggy Hill

us
    Mar 2013
    Kansas
    Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro
    265 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nothing "stingy' about minding ones own business. That's the way I was brought up. Doesn't seem to hold up much these days. This is the age of people believing that the world is interested in their every move and thought and broadcast such all day long. They measure their importance in the number of followers. That holds no interest to me.
    lastleg, KandiKlover and ecmo like this.
    A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

us
    May 2015
    229 times
    Nothing "stingy' about minding ones own business. That's the way I was brought up. Doesn't seem to hold up much these days. This is the age of people believing that the world is interested in their every move and thought and broadcast such all day long. They measure their importance in the number of followers. That holds no interest to me.
    I happen to be one of the social media people, but thats not why i do it... Also, not wanting people to know you found 2million $ in gold isnt stingy, its so the government doesnt say "Oh yeah! we lost this 300years ago!" *takes gold* and giving you nothing...
    jasonh939 and Blak bart like this.

us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    630 times
    Exactly. I could give a rat's ass about what my facebook "friends" have for breakfast. Just eat your grapefruit & shut up, nobody cares!
    itzyoboyandrew, sonofdust and ecmo like this.
    Peggy Hill

us
    May 2015
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicscott View Post
    Exactly. I could give a rat's ass about what my facebook "friends" have for breakfast. Just eat your grapefruit & shut up, nobody cares!
    Yeah im not into it like that..

us
    Kandi Klover

Jan 2017
    Kingman, AZ
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
    61 times
    Cache Hunting
    No not when you do TOR network properly. People do much much worse through it. Shown in the wikileaks too. Just careful not to get caught when trying to sell your treasure later.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    4975 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonh939 View Post
    Maybe I am parinoid...... Maybe I am afraid of theft situations.... Maybe I am afraid of someone trying to claim my find.... Maybe I am afraid of taxes, yes taxes. Am I the only one who would not post their best find because of being afraid of the repercussions? I am not a professional treasure seeker so my best of best finds is not on the books so to speak. I think of the people in California that found the 12 million in buried gold eagles. They got a lot of crap they had to deal with in law suits. It seems to me that once something is found everyone wants a part of it. My question is this... At what dollar value would you keep it a secret? What would it take for you to stop and realize you put yourself at risk from others, either physically or emotionally/both, when you post something of larger value. A ring with stones is nice and note worthy, an old relic is great. Heck even an old gold coin or a silver stash is heart thumping, but when is it you stop and wont tell anyone of your find?

(LEGAL: This post in no way implies that the postee/postors have made any discovery/find that would warrant taxes, State/Federal, nor warrant any search and seizes. This post is only for thought provoking conversation only. To all thievies, rats, Government agencies or any "leech" type person "Pissoff"
    Me thinks that people fear those things, have an over-blown sense of caution level and risk assessment. That's not to say that anything's not possible. But at a certain point you have to cross a street. If you worry too much that you might get hit by a car (afterall, newspaper statistic have stories of cars hitting pedestrians often), then you will NEVER cross the street. You will NEVER leave your front door in the morning.

Part of the fun of our hobby, is the show & tell aspect to our buddies and friend, right ? Like golfing: What the heck good and satisfaction is a hole -in-one, if you don't have your buddies to gloat to about it ? And so too do we all like to live vicariously and see what our peers are finding. So as to "pace ourselves" , have goals to set, etc....

And I think people's fears of A) the IRS to come knocking, or B) A contrived "owner" to come say "that's mine" , or C) thieves to come target their house now, is way over-blown.

There's been some MARVELOUS finds (indeed some valuable ones !) over the years on our Today's finds section. Right ? And honestly, can ANYONE ever tell of an IRS agent that came knocking ? Afterall, T'net is a public forum, so what's to stop their agents from monitoring here ?

And can anyone ever cite an incident of someone else coming to say: "Hey, that cache of gold or silver is what I buried there ?"

And can anyone cite an incident of thieves that targeted them strictly because they'd posted a show & tell ? (mind you, a theft could occur at any time, so it's hard to pin it to *strictly* because someone posted).
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    4975 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Foiler, I find it interesting that you say you'll "never post finds". But then you turn around and say that you like to see what other folks are finding (if/when it's specific to your area). Hmmm.

Sure, we ALL like to see how our peers are doing, to set goals for ourselves, lick our chops, etc.... But it seems odd that, if everyone had the "I never show finds" notion" like you do, then .... we would have zero show & tells that we've all come to enjoy. Right ?

Oh well.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links