Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Is your best find so good you wont post it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    am
    Apr 2015
    136 times
    Metal Detecting

Is your best find so good you won't post it?

Maybe I am parinoid...... Maybe I am afraid of theft situations.... Maybe I am afraid of someone trying to claim my find.... Maybe I am afraid of taxes, yes taxes. Am I the only one who would not post their best find because of being afraid of the repercussions? I am not a professional treasure seeker so my best of best finds is not on the books so to speak. I think of the people in California that found the 12 million in buried gold eagles. They got a lot of crap they had to deal with in law suits. It seems to me that once something is found everyone wants a part of it. My question is this... At what dollar value would you keep it a secret? What would it take for you to stop and realize you put yourself at risk from others, either physically or emotionally/both, when you post something of larger value. A ring with stones is nice and note worthy, an old relic is great. Heck even an old gold coin or a silver stash is heart thumping, but when is it you stop and wont tell anyone of your find?

(LEGAL: This post in no way implies that the postee/postors have made any discovery/find that would warrant taxes, State/Federal, nor warrant any search and seizes. This post is only for thought provoking conversation only. To all thievies, rats, Government agencies or any "leech" type person "Pissoff"
    Last edited by jasonh939; Dec 09, 2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: miss spelling...

us
    Detector Collector

May 2015
    Madison, MS
    Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
    2206 times
    I mainly coin shoot, but I also enjoy relic hunting and shallow ocean hunting.
    I'll let you know when I find that point. Right now my best monetary value find is a gold ring with melt value of ~$170. I haven't been overly worried about anyone knowing about it.
    Clad - 2 dollars, 274 quarters, 282 dimes, 115 nickels, 787 pennies, 1 foreign
    Older - 1 Barber Half, 1 Walker, 1 Franklin, 1 Seated Qtr, 1 Barber Qtr, 5 Washington, 4 Barber Dimes, 12 Mercs, 13 Rosies
    1 CB Half Dime, 1 Shield, 3 Vs, 8 Buffalos, 4 War Nickels, 10 IHPs, 137 Wheats, 1803 Half Real
    Relics - 1 3-Ringer, 1 Round Ball, Silver fork, 3 pocket knives, Gem Micromatic razor, small compact, Silver bib clip, Silver brush, skeleton key
    Jewelry - 2 Gold rings, 2 Silver rings, Silver bracelet, Silver earring, 3 Silver charms, lady's watch

Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.

Captain Caveman

us
    Jun 2007
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
    162 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yeah, although I love reading the posts about huge caches found and stuff, you sure wouldnt see me posting it on here if I found a significant amount of gold and silver coins or something
    aarthrj3811 likes this.
    Oldest U.S. Coin: 1787 Connecticut Copper, (three of them)
    Oldest non U.S. Coin: 1777 Spanish half reale
    Best civil war finds: Line A confederate button, NC button, Virginia button,3 Connecticut buttons,New York officer cuff button, 3 Union officer sword belt plates, US box plate, union breast plate

SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    6226 times
    Metal Detecting
    why? did you see me find the gold river?
    jasonh939 and lastleg like this.
    ANYONE BUT THE PATRIOTS

us
    Jul 2006
    Western PA
    Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
    977 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I gotta say if I found anything along the lines of gold coins in an amount that might be considered a treasure trove I don't think I would share
    aarthrj3811 likes this.
    Seek and Ye shall find, (not necessarily what You were looking for)

us
    Jul 2006
    Western PA
    Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
    977 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If I had to pick a dollar amount to make the cut off I would say $10,000 or over and I would not go public. That seems to be the magic number that gets the attention of the federal government. I used to work at a bank and any deposits of cash 10000 or over were reported to the feds
    jasonh939 likes this.
    Seek and Ye shall find, (not necessarily what You were looking for)

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    9005 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by relic lover View Post
    If I had to pick a dollar amount to make the cut off I would say $10,000 or over and I would not go public. That seems to be the magic number that gets the attention of the federal government. I used to work at a bank and any deposits of cash 10000 or over were reported to the feds
    I believe withdrawals too.
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

How do you know what is right

IF

You don't know what is wrong? Notice I didn't say ​WHO.

https://www.fhu.com/ ​(Could be what you've been looking for)

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County ; Turn right or left off I-81
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver
    16788 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Name:  tumblr_n4mzo5kO7P1rk8tvco2_r1_250.gif
Views: 1262
Size:  1.28 MB

if I find an Underground Gold City or other extra significant site that someone
    would steal and put off limits to me,

like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	1245532

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treasure-planet.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	1245533

I would definitely think twice about posting. or even advising others of.
    I'd just buy a Gold smeltery (Kidding maybe

Name:  Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif
Views: 2754
Size:  972.2 KB
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Dec 11, 2015 at 05:49 AM.

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    6246 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    If I found a major hoard or cache that was valuable I would not be posting it on a public forum. But yes I did post my best and most valuable find on here....or did I lol
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2016 Best Finds
    -17th C. Seal Top Spoon
    -Colonial Luckenbooth Brooch
    -Rare 1749 Unbarred A Farthing
    -1749 1 Real
    -1653 Spanish Counterstamped Cob
    -1723 Woods Hibernia
    -French Billon Coin
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

Nov 2014
    13 times
    If I discovered something,
    Out in the woods or river,
    Just for conversation,
    Then not only would I
    Keep it, I'd make sure there's no connection to it,
    What so ever, if there's not, then it's mine to keep,
    If there would be a connection to someone,
    Then I would try and find,
    Them, if after no success,
    Then it's mine to do with.
    Regardless if it's, money,
    Coin,gold,what ever.
    It's yours.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    2969 times
    I might post a big hoard if found but only one piece at a time over a long period of time.
    myfantasia1 likes this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

us
    May 2015
    229 times
    I would post maybe the best coin, but not the whole stash.. unfortunately that's the times we live in
    myfantasia1 likes this.

SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    6226 times
    Metal Detecting
    was it this year that couple in cali found the cans of gold coins? I doubt I would talk much about that
    ANYONE BUT THE PATRIOTS

us
    Dec 2015
    Ridgecrest CA
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    295 times
    If I had found a hoard or large cache no one would know it but me. I have made the mistake of telling people things about my finds in the past and ended up with a group of people trying to take over my site. I am doing my own little youtube series about my detecting adventures but if I do find something big I'll make it look like I just found a lot of junk or clad.
    California Kid The Finder and Keeper of treasures. The dirt pirate. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The California Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

us
    Gold Sniffer

Nov 2015
    SoCal
    First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
    85 times
    General Mineralogy
    I'd post it, but won't post the location unless I had claim on the property.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links