Dug Marbles

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Here are a bunch of marbles I have found while out detecting. I either spotted them on washed up path's after the rains. Or just found them mixed in the holes with the coins I find. I always like to find them. There all unique and some are even pretty. Just one extra goodie to take home when I find one. You gotta have good vision to spot the clays. They look just like the dirt. Don't know alot about marbles. But I do know they have some value to them. Just one of those perks in the hobby when you find one. How many others are finding them out there. I seen J.D daughter is one hell of a marble finder. That's great to see. My son does the same thing. He's only 4. He'll come up to me with a 100yr old button he finds on the surface. Or an old bottle for me to look over. That's what it's about right. Letting the kids get out and enjoy themselves to.

Take care Just something to look at guys. HH Jer

Attachments

• marbles 2.jpg
    marbles 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 941
Upvote 0

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Way to go! Hard down greety bone nucks! I just love finding these little gems,when I do it takes my memories back to my own childhood and the friends I played this game with! We played a lot of pigtains mostly.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yeah there hard to leave behind. I always like finding them to. I'm only gonna be 24 here real soon and it takes me back. I used to play with them to when I was a kid. Had bag fulls I would bring to school at the age of 5 probably. And spill them all over the floors during kindergarten. Maybe that's why they held me back. But never failed a grade from that point on.

HH Jer

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
I found a clear one similar to the one on the mid left on the upper pic, surprised the heck out of me given I couldn't find anything else in the hole! That's a great collection you have, but I think you're right; JD's daughter will be catching up in no time!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi guys. I find them all over. Alot of the clays I found in a old picnic area in the city of Pittsburgh. It probably dated to the 1870S and was never detected before me. I like to collect them as well. The clays are a little harder to find. I found alot of mid 1800S coins at the spot. Also found some fatty civil war era Indian heads. I need to find another spot like that this summer. There still out there. And this grove was about 100yrd long and about 50 yrd wide. It took awile to get it cleaned out.

HH Jer

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
I have several of those clay marbles, but all mine come off old Indian campgrounds. I can call up three different sites where i have found these and nothing historic was found there, only prehistoric artifacts. So I assumed they were prehistoric. Did you happen to find any arrowheads associated with these? Great looking marbles. KEEP ON SWANGING.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No I didn't find any arrowheads. At least not yet. There was alot of Indian activity in the whole area basically. I assumed kids dropped them during the 1800S. This is one old grove. If that's even what it is. Tree's like 300 yrs old. May have been scouted for a potential fort. The location is perfect for one. George washington was through here a good bit. Not sure it's a mystery. Found alot of foreign coins at this spot from the 1800s to for some reason. Thanks for checking them out.

HH Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jeff. Now I am more familiar with what you are talking about. Did some research on the organization. Found out they did things in southwestern Pennsylvania. I didn't read anything about marbles as one of there ways to mark a treasure though. But there were tons of sites that I didn't get to go over. Thanks for the tip man. I'll keep my eye's open while searching theses area's were I find the marbles. If I dig a couple in a hole I may dig a few feet in that spot just to test out the theory. Even if nothing ever turns up it's neat to know that there were treasure buried by this secret organization. If I ever did find one know one would know. Thanks for sharing it with me. For it said most treasure hunters never heard of them.

HH Jer

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Nice Marbles, ;D I think we all know how you got your name now Diggin. ;D Just kidding.

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"hey grandma got my marble back! :) ;) JK
nice marbles, got some purdy ones

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. I found a very odd one over the weekend while out doing a little detecting. I'll have a pic of it soon. When I find enough other stuff to post with it. I don't know alot about marbles but this last one I found is large. I think it's a Bennington. Made between 1875 and 1910. The funny thing is that I found it at the same location were Jeff told me about the kgc marking an area with clay marbles. I have been getting some really funny signals at this spot were these marbles are randomly turning up while I am trying to recover a target. I just find them in the holes. Sometimes with a coin or artifact. Or just sometimes with a nail. Then other times I dig find a old marble or 2 still be getting a deep hit and not be able to dig deep enough with just a leche digging tool to see what is really down there. This whole thing got me thinking some. I'm going to have to investigate this spot with a shovel in the spring. Let me know what you guys think about it. What would you do. Things like that.

Thanks again Jeremy

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a plan! I would be happy just to find those cool marbles, they're a treasure by themselves.

M

minelabex1000

Ya, you might even try one of those rods bottle hunters use to see if you hit anything that sounds interesting.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
My uncle has a coffee can cache of marbles from the 1960's that he never dug up. He's only been able to give me an area of 20 feet around as to where they could be. My dad thinks that they would be closer to the house because the porch wasn't built yet. What kind of value is in marbles that are only 45 years old at best? I'm determined to find them this year. He said they can't be over a coupla feet down because they were just kids when they buried them. My problem is this, I have a waterline (no longer in use that's prehaps 30 feet long) and made of iron. My grandpa ( get this) Collected and saved every nail he ever came across, as well as nuts, bolts and screws. He would bend as many nails back into shape as he could. He had buckets of nails saved and 4 growing boys who built everthing they possibly could and somehow scattered the nails all over the lawn. I remember digging the plugged sewer up one day. We laid new pipe and the line was 3 feet down. We were finding nails 3 feet down. All round nails? Here's my mixed blessing. The dirt that lays on my grampas property may very well have come from ditch workers that dug the first ditches on that road. That road was called military road at one time and 1,000's of troops march through this area. I could have 200+ year old relics to dig. Here's my curse. At less then a thousand feet square there is at least two cars and a bus (chopped up), and multiple engines and transmissions ect...My question I guess is this? Is it possible to discriminate out nails well still picking up a rusted away coffee can? I'm planning on trying to grid off and probe the area. Seems to me if you hit a pocket of marbles it'd feel different. Any tips on helping me not turn my dad's lawn into a minefield is appreciated and if I find them I promise I'll post them. Who knows maybe I'll pop out a war relic, too. Jason

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Jason what's up. This is a tough one to answer. I would first start detecting the whole yard and get every piece of metal you can out of it with a detector. The marbles may be older than 45 years old. Some are probably picked up along the way and will be older one's mixed in with them. They do have value. The rarer the marble the more there worth. With all the nails you explained there will make it somewhat tough. I don't know the capabilities of your detector because I don't know what kind you use. It would have to be a good detector to hit something at 2 ft. I have a dfx and it would hit it. My machine tells you if you have hit a item that is large. It will register overload on the screen. That would be a good indication to me to dig. You may even find them by accident while detecting for other stuff. You may dig a 8 inch plug and just randomly find one. They may not be as deep as he can remember. Good luck with it. I hope this helps some. Probing the soil may work also. I'm sure you could tell if you hit something other than a rock or just dirt.

Good Luck Jeremy

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
My metal detector is a minelab musky advantage and the spot he showed me I've already detected. I was getting too many signals and I didn't want to tear up my dad's yard. I'll get specifics from my uncle on the size of the can and try to duplicate what it might sound like at different depths through air testing. All I need is a can of the approximate size and decomposition and I should be able to do it. Jason

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few marbles but usually gave them away to kids around. I reckon I should keep them for a while just to see what kind of collection I could get together. Nice collection you have JerDFX!!!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yeah you should hold onto them. Some have good value depending on how rare and the condition. I never leave one behind. My eye's are sharp and I spot them all the time. Good luck with it there out there.

Jeremy

S

SASQUASH

Nice set of marbles. I have about 1000 marbles or more some I have found the clay one's are about 50 cents a pc, I like the glass one's better the green & dark green, Orange & black, Orange. Pearl red green are the best. Good find's keep it up JerDFX. SASQUASH <><

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't actually dug up any marbles but I have a site I work often that I find a few marbles on the surface every time it comes a rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread