Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer piece Steve! I love Spanish to start with....but to find one that was converted is really cool and unique. Then to have one that went back into circulation is even cooler. To me it tells a real story. Somebody had enough money to turn a silver coin into a Cufflink. What changed to cause them to put that back into circulation? Just another md mystery my friend
Thanks Abe. Must have been pretty common practice in Southwestern PA. Here are two others I have found (plus a Spanish Facsimile coin cufflink)

Attachments

• WE Pics 015a.jpg
    WE Pics 015a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 113
  • WE Pics 019a.jpg
    WE Pics 019a.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
4 1/8" inch pristine Clovis Point, surface find from western Mass. Approximate date: 12,800 calendar years before present. Material is Normanskill Chert. Value $7,000-$15,000

IMG_1824.JPG IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1835.JPG

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4 1/8" inch pristine Clovis Point, surface find from western Mass. Approximate date: 12,800 calendar years before present. Value $7,000-$15,000

Crazy. I'd love to see a pic! [emoji2]

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, awesome 2015 finds everyone!

I have two:

First is this sun-coloured amethyst lightning rod ball, recovered in mid-April. I found a lot of great stuff last year, but something about this find sticks out to me. The ground was just thawed enough to dig, I think this was my second or third dig of the year, and it was sunny and mild and I was in a good mood. I was bottle digging in a farm dump and found this thing pretty deep, bundled in a mess of wire and rust. I didn't even know what it was, so I was thrilled when I found out that this particular lightning rod ball is fairly uncommon. It is embossed, "PATᴅ JULY 1878". It's got a chip and some scratches and overall it's kind of shabby, but it takes the middle throne on my shelving display, the central place, and it kinda just pulls everything together in a nice way, with its rich colour and round shape. I put these fitted black caps on either side and it looks great.

Then there's this late 19th/early 20th century candle holder, recovered in late June. I found one or two more of these in pieces on the first day, and left feeling all glum about how they didn't survive, but I returned the next day to recover this one intact. And unlike the others, this one luckily still had the collar held on by some old residual wax (I cleaned everything and added a new candle). The glass has a very slight amethyst hue which this picture doesn't do much for. But yeah I absolutely love this thing. You can just imagine someone eating or reading by the light, or making their way through the dark. I light this candle every once in a while and I eat or read by it, and wonder about the people and who they were and so on. I know that you all know that feeling!

So, for a bottle digger my picks weren't even bottles haha. Let's have a great 2016 everyone!

View attachment 1258299 View attachment 1258300

I love that lightning ball!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread