Finds from inside my 1858 home.................

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Attachments

• fnd obv.jpg
    fnd obv.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,872
  • home front.jpg
    home front.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 3,863
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fred (S.Indiana)

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
2 V-nickles from outside the house.............

of the many targets pulled from my yard, this property is the insperation for my interest in metal detecting, not shown are the couple of mercs, two antique gold rings that were lost before 1950, more than a dozen indian head cents, more than a roll of wheats,tokens, badges, bullets, casings......there are acres upon acres of woods behind us that is in an area that was part of the underground railroad, my buddy found a 1840 seated dime this winter in the woods, I would like to have 6" bladed off the yard just to see what has slipped just beyond my XLT's capability........fred

Attachments

• home finds.jpg
    home finds.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,813
R

RUDY2003

Great post Fred. You have a lot of history there. I'd bet you
could be diggin for quite a while. Great pics too...
Keep safe...

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Hello neighbor, I purchased a house built in 1890 in Mt Vernon 3 years ago and have found many things hidden under the boards in the attic. You said your coins were found in the woodwork, How so? The house I purchased has tons of wood work. Are you talking about pulling the baseboards away from the wall and you found them, as if they had been swept there? Mary ann

OP
OP
Fred (S.Indiana)

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hey girl........I believe these were tucked away in an inconspicuous place in a closet in one of the bedrooms, you mention where you find things in an old house? I've gone under the baseboards with a butterknife and found wheat pennys, the ductwork from the old gravity feed coal furnace yielded many small items, one place I haven't yet ventured but am very curious about is the window weight pockets, the windows in this house are original with a lot of them having the original glass, you just can't be sure where you won't find somthing in a house this old...............fred

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
It was also customary during construction to place coin(s) above the doorway(s) for goodluck in the new home.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coins :thumbsup:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

I tore my 1891 house down to the 2x4s, and not a thing of note. Just an old lady's button shoe in the crawl space with the rat holes - I always thought the rats got her. Pretty nasty place, dug it out for a basement and found no rats - or treasure either.

I did find a handful of modern pennies down the front sidewalk, and that got me thinking. The previous owners were drinkers, and during a fight, one of them probably grabbed a dish full of pennies and threw them at the other going out of the house. Many folks kept a jar of pennies on the kitchen table.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Back in the 40's I use to get Columbian half dollars for change! So To see one always brings back good memories!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way you can organize all the finds for a post? Would be a great looking collection!
CurbdiggerCarl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread