Best Find Ever! Bestest bestest bestest! Better than gold coins!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's my personal IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1112.JPG best. Was up at Oxford County Maine n the pegmatite region and was surface hunting. I spotted this "thing" thought at first it was a melted blob of plastic. THEN I picked it up. It is a GEM QUALITY MORGANITE (PINK) BERYL CRYSTAL. It's official name is "Tracy's Maine Rose". Named after my daughter. This was from the old Bennett Mine. There was a large one found years ago but the guys who found it, that was the Rose of Maine, well, they wanted to SHARE it and broke it up. As far as I know this is the largest and FINEST Morganite beryl to come out of the East Coast of the US EVER.

And I am certainly not going to break it up into little pieces. There are clear windows in it the size of egg yolks and some place produce natural rainbows. Weighs a few pounds. Battery is for comparison.

Upvote 19

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know heck about gems, but saw some Morganite cuts and they are awesome looking. Love that pink, congrats!

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed, Gods handy work, Its a beaut:notworthy:

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Wish we had rocks around here like that!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, you could make a small fortune selling that at the East Coast Gem and Mineral Show at the Big E this summer. Very nice specimen

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a very knowledgeable dealer quote me a price once, and my eyes about fell out of my head. But no, not for sale. I doubt I'd ever find another. Have a blue green beryl from nearly that's not gemmy but goes about 8 pounds.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a very knowledgeable dealer quote me a price once, and my eyes about fell out of my head. But no, not for sale. I doubt I'd ever find another. Have a blue green beryl from nearly that's not gemmy but goes about 8 pounds.

Wise decision. It won't be going down in value any time soon. Might as well enjoy it and let it appreciate!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice rock. And I thought with that heading, I would be seeing a picture of your partner!

Ohh well. Sweet find.

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
NICE find there! I am curious though... what would it's a current uncut appraised value be? I guess the OP has it insured?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For pricing I was told $7-$12k. Probably get closer to 7k though. Doesn't matter, not for sale. It is unique, even better than a Confederate plate!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7K? Ok switching to gem hunt right now. More seriously, I wil educate myself and try it with what I have in my area (ancient chrome mines, zinc, copper).

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is HUGE and would break your neck if you tried to wear it. I have never successfully weighed it, but even though beryl (Morganite) is a lightweight metal, this puppy is heavy

It's the kind of thing if the bad guys broke in they'd ignore it. What part of Quebec are you in? Mont St. Hilaire is southeast of Montreal. The nickel mines at Orford are still there. There are still big pyrite crystals on the interstate south into Vermont. And Downtown Montreal is about 5 hours from where this was found, the Orchard pit/Bennett Mine in Oxford County, Maine. And then there's Bancroft in Ontario.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions