Old holes...new finds

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a little story I would like to share with you folks. I often talk about using newer detectors in old, supposedly played out, holes. Well, about 40 years ago when my oldest son was only 5 years old, my wife and I took him on a metal detecting trip down White Rock Road in Merced County California. At the time I was using a Bounty Hunter TR 550. It wasn't a bad little detector, in fact I still have it and it still works. We went to an old homestead and stage stop that I knew of. There was tall green grass on the hillside, so we placed the boys, we had our 3 year old boy with us as well, on the hillside to play in the grass while I started to hunt with the detector. I found an area where a building of some sort once stood. It apparently had burned down many years before. The were some red bricks from the old fireplace lying half buried in the soft soil. I began to find some old square nails and other junk iron. But the best item I found that day was a clump of silver that was once a stack of silver coins. The long ago fire had melted them into an unrecognizable mass with pieces of the red brick embedded within. I could just barely make out the edge of one coin. So at the end of the day we packed up the boys and the treasures and went home. The clump of silver lay forgotten in my collection for the next 4 decades.

Then last year, that same 5 year old boy, who is now 44 years old, took his Garrett ACE 350 back out to the site for another look-see. He searched the same area I had searched all those years before. And damned if he didn't find another piece of the same silver that I had missed. It just goes to show that you should never assume that a site is played out. Below are two photos of the mass I found, and the smaller silver my boy found 40 years later.
20160128_103421.jpg Marks silver2.jpg

Desert Don

Upvote 1

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story poetic. Nice

money malcolm

Apr 5, 2015
Denver
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can you tell that the clump originated from coins?

OP
OP
D

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell that the clump originated from coins?

Well of course I can't be 100% sure. But there are some rounded edges and shapes that look remarkably like coins. And it definitely is silver.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions