Found! and then....Found Again!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
This is the story of discoveries rediscovered after a few years of lying dormant. Every year of detecting I find lots of coins at all the old sites, some are in better shape than others, the better ones go straight into my collection and the lesser condition ones go into the coin jars!
The coin jars have been piling up for about fifteen years now and there's plenty of known coins in them and there were also some that were yet to be identified. Some were in just poor shape and corroded to no value; however some were just not appreciated for what they really were!
I spent an afternoon the other day with Iron Patch and sifted through the jars. It was sort of like coin roll hunting except it had a relic hunters twist to it... coin jar hunting! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455470975.061535.jpg
Plenty to look through!
Hundreds of coins, tokens, and what nots!
I pulled out some winners that will make their way to the proper place in my collection.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471195.026990.jpg
Just a few of the winners!
A counterfeit George lll farthing, a single year issue Bermuda penny 1793 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471314.750869.jpg
a Irish token from 1816
Edward Stephens penny
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471375.899231.jpg
a Scottish bawbee! I found this one at an old Acadian site from the early 1700s
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471456.801042.jpg
And another which I believe to be a Charlesll farthing, not much left on it, the 22 mm disc with the bust and the closest match was this.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471564.200917.jpg
Now there was more but I'll save some of them for another cold wintery day to post up!
We always thought that there was a chance that we could have found rare blacksmith tokens in our many years of detecting; well, the answer is yes!
I was able to pull out a few with very surprising results!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471750.098907.jpg
A pair of Bitit blacksmith tokens! Fairly common I guess but still cool as hell!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471834.232671.jpg
And! The clear winner for sure!
A JB Warehouse blacksmith token!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471894.995783.jpg
Some of you may recall Iron Patch finding and posting one he found this past fall. I believe mine was found in 2013, I have no idea where or when but if I did I will be heading back there looking for more!
It was so much fun revisiting these old finds again and reliving some of the awesome memories of digging up that stuff!
Next, the button piles!! lol

Upvote 34
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bermuda penny was a pleasant surprise and the history behind is pretty good too!
From Steve's link it says they all left the island very quickly , I'm just glad one made its way to here!

I have to tell you, I looked at a lot of coins to try and place the disc I was sure was a Charles ll, the size 22mm was right, and the bust was so close, wear and corrosion may have tricked me a bit; with so little to go on it was the closest probable id but if there's a better argument..I'm listening

But, for you , someone who has held one before, I would tend to trust your judgement
The only other one I had seen posted was bu Leslie in Nova Scotia a while back. Sounds like IP has found or seen a couple too. The guy who says there were only 90 extant in his "preliminary" census probably only counted the ones that were graded.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The only other one I had seen posted was bu Leslie in Nova Scotia a while back. Sounds like IP has found or seen a couple too. The guy who says there were only 90 extant in his "preliminary" census probably only counted the ones that were graded.

Yeah that makes a lot more sense; graded coins would represent a small fraction of the overall population.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, mine were from buying, and that is why these are very familiar to me... have been seeing them for many years and is why only 90 does not seem right or close to right for me. Earlier today I was googling and got a Tnet hit from one found by Hunthicks, so guess that makes at least 4 so far. So no Bermuda for me, but I did dig a Barbados.. 1793 pineapple. There's only 80 known. ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bermuda penny was a pleasant surprise and the history behind is pretty good too!
From Steve's link it says they all left the island very quickly , I'm just glad one made its way to here!

I have to tell you, I looked at a lot of coins to try and place the disc I was sure was a Charles ll, the size 22mm was right, and the bust was so close, wear and corrosion may have tricked me a bit; with so little to go on it was the closest probable id but if there's a better argument..I'm listening

But, for you , someone who has held one before, I would tend to trust your judgement

I'll reserve judgement until I see it again... take it along Friday.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said it was about the closest I could come, but I guess a counterfeit might not be out of the question ??

I'll take it on Saturday!

Yeah extremely unlikely being a counterfeit Charles II Farthing. It's funny they counterfeited the Charles I and King James Royal Irish Farthings a lot, but that didn't seem to carry over into Charles II regal coinage, William III, Queen Anne, or even George I. An obvious struck counterfeit from any of those monarchs is pretty rare.... and a good example of that was the George I counterfeit halfpenny posted a while back.

Saturday, right.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know you hunt good sites when you have that many unidentified big coppers just lying around. SO JELLY! Awesome post.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You know you hunt good sites when you have that many unidentified big coppers just lying around. SO JELLY! Awesome post.

Thanks
Some good and some great, some not so much....you gotta put in the time and effort and don't be afraid to get out of your neighbourhood and knock on a few doors

Living in an area that was first settled close to three hundred years ago sure doesn't hurt either, it helps get back there in time for the oldest stuff!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good project, fun times, and for you a few good results. Congrats !
I went through a hundred old coppers, you know lookin' for the blacksmiths' and nothing so far, but lots more to go.
It is a fun winter project, and you did quite well with it.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Good project, fun times, and for you a few good results. Congrats !
I went through a hundred old coppers, you know lookin' for the blacksmiths' and nothing so far, but lots more to go.
It is a fun winter project, and you did quite well with it.

The nearest thing I could compare it to was like it was a whole new hunt, there just weren't any detectors or shovels!
The only thing I can think of is there must have been some other finds on the days I found those that drew my attention in another direction and those finds just went to a back burner. They never went away, just not high priority. I always knew I'd have time in the winter to sort them out.
Next time I'll look closer and harder and maybe discover another hidden gem!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HOT DAMNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a lot of cool finds to be storage! Send them out our way if ya need the room!:laughing7: Thanks for sharing!!!!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great post. So many of us find things that we don't recognize and toss them in a safe place and save them for a rainy day. You've got some really great finds here and I appreciate you sharing them with the rest of us.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
This is a great post. So many of us find things that we don't recognize and toss them in a safe place and save them for a rainy day. You've got some really great finds here and I appreciate you sharing them with the rest of us.

Thanks Bass
I still hanging on to hope I got another hidden gem in there!
I'll post that up too if it comes to light!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bass
I still hanging on to hope I got another hidden gem in there!
I'll post that up too if it comes to light!

Here's one to look for now. With your Warehouse token being the 3rd to be found here that's quite a bit of evidence to support the theory of them being struck in NS. The coin in this sale is linked through the dies, so if the JB can be found here 3 times, it's possible this one could show up too.

C 1835 1 2D BL 29 BN Genuine VF Details | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions