Found! and then....Found Again!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
This is the story of discoveries rediscovered after a few years of lying dormant. Every year of detecting I find lots of coins at all the old sites, some are in better shape than others, the better ones go straight into my collection and the lesser condition ones go into the coin jars!
The coin jars have been piling up for about fifteen years now and there's plenty of known coins in them and there were also some that were yet to be identified. Some were in just poor shape and corroded to no value; however some were just not appreciated for what they really were!
I spent an afternoon the other day with Iron Patch and sifted through the jars. It was sort of like coin roll hunting except it had a relic hunters twist to it... coin jar hunting! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455470975.061535.jpg
Plenty to look through!
Hundreds of coins, tokens, and what nots!
I pulled out some winners that will make their way to the proper place in my collection.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471195.026990.jpg
Just a few of the winners!
A counterfeit George lll farthing, a single year issue Bermuda penny 1793 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471314.750869.jpg
a Irish token from 1816
Edward Stephens penny
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471375.899231.jpg
a Scottish bawbee! I found this one at an old Acadian site from the early 1700s
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471456.801042.jpg
And another which I believe to be a Charlesll farthing, not much left on it, the 22 mm disc with the bust and the closest match was this.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471564.200917.jpg
Now there was more but I'll save some of them for another cold wintery day to post up!
We always thought that there was a chance that we could have found rare blacksmith tokens in our many years of detecting; well, the answer is yes!
I was able to pull out a few with very surprising results!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471750.098907.jpg
A pair of Bitit blacksmith tokens! Fairly common I guess but still cool as hell!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471834.232671.jpg
And! The clear winner for sure!
A JB Warehouse blacksmith token!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471894.995783.jpg
Some of you may recall Iron Patch finding and posting one he found this past fall. I believe mine was found in 2013, I have no idea where or when but if I did I will be heading back there looking for more!
It was so much fun revisiting these old finds again and reliving some of the awesome memories of digging up that stuff!
Next, the button piles!! lol

Upvote 34

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! My cousin has a lot of accumulated finds and I love to go through them to see what may have been missed over the years.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IH,

Some nice old coppers for your efforts.....good luck with the clean up on them.

Regards + HH

Bill

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds. I'm doing the same thing today. It's too cold to go outside, so I might as well hunt through my old finds!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
IH,

Some nice old coppers for your efforts.....good luck with the clean up on them.

Regards + HH

Bill

I'm very happy with what has shown up so far! I pulled a few more as savers. That handful were some that totally piqued my interest!
As for the clean up of the rest....not in the immediate future, it's an overwhelming amount to consider.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I have all your jars of unknown coins? :laughing7: I can't believe the amount I see in the picture. I can't put my finds out of my mind until they are identified.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You seem to have more unidentified colonials than I have wheaties :laughing7:. Nice problem to have, and good job on those repeat recoveries.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun project going through all those jars to locate good items that have missed in the past.And it appears you all have a lot of them to search through.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool winter time activity. I don't find anywhere close to old colonial stuff like you have.
When I do find something of interest, I will put it in a coin folder.
I date and log location on the coin folder. It's a little extra work but in hunting silver coins, it gives me an accurate record of productive areas.
You have quite a collection of rejected finds. I can just imagine that your keeper collection is huge.
Thanks for the interesting post.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow ! That's just ridiculous.. I keep all my brass and copper metal finds in bags I probably need to go through some of it, but it never occurred to me to
not look and clean and wax and research and file every thing I've found that even looks vaguely like a coin! What a great bunch of finds you had.
It would be pretty great to have those to uncover (again) over the months of frozen ground.
Really enjoyed seeing your recoveries. Sweet!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Can I have all your jars of unknown coins? :laughing7: I can't believe the amount I see in the picture. I can't put my finds out of my mind until they are identified.

Now what would I do with myself if I gave it all away? lol

I think I must have had some way better finds on some of those days and put those behind me; I always knew I'd get back to them someday!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You seem to have more unidentified colonials than I have wheaties :laughing7:. Nice problem to have, and good job on those repeat recoveries.

There's still some in there that yet need identifying but for the most part I'm confident what they are.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm looking forward to having some more to try and figure out!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good stuff I also have jars and jars of coins I wont miss good coins maybe on out of thousands I always know what I have found . I really like your unnoticed coins Sweet!!!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Looks like a fun project going through all those jars to locate good items that have missed in the past.And it appears you all have a lot of them to search through.

Yep, there were some easy ones and no doubt there are still a couple of tougher ones
99% I know what they are, it's the 1% ers that make it a fun project!
It's amazing what information I did pick up while searching for the ones I posted!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Very cool winter time activity. I don't find anywhere close to old colonial stuff like you have.
When I do find something of interest, I will put it in a coin folder.
I date and log location on the coin folder. It's a little extra work but in hunting silver coins, it gives me an accurate record of productive areas.
You have quite a collection of rejected finds. I can just imagine that your keeper collection is huge.
Thanks for the interesting post.

Thank you!
I used to keep records on some finds, but then I let it go by the wayside and ended up with this big mess! lol
The keepers don't number as much as the "rejects"; but there's a good amount of them. As most collectors go, I look for the very best to add to my collection, but I guess we have keep a few fillers in there until the good one comes along!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow ! That's just ridiculous.. I keep all my brass and copper metal finds in bags I probably need to go through some of it, but it never occurred to me to
not look and clean and wax and research and file every thing I've found that even looks vaguely like a coin! What a great bunch of finds you had.
It would be pretty great to have those to uncover (again) over the months of frozen ground.
Really enjoyed seeing your recoveries. Sweet!

Thanks!
I think if I stopped to clean and preserve every find I'd still be at it and never get out detecting at all!

It's mostly junk stuff that got thrown away, but every so often there's the good stuff we find that makes it all worthwhile!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread