1871 GOLD 1/4 Dollar

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I found this recently....My best find so far hands down...

669u2ck.jpg

5ycd76b.jpg

6gckyn6.jpg

4y9bplh.jpg

4ouvzfo.jpg

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dugdigger

Mar 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & fisher 1265
I've never seen or even heard of one of those. awsome find!!!!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
That is definatly the most coolest gold coin I have seen to date! Very nice job on finding that beauty! You must be very pleased! ;D

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Very cool, indeed. I thing you should change your screen name from "outraged" to "elated" I Congrats and here's to many more !!

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
OutRaged,

Great find, but I can't believe no one yet has said to get that coin checked out for value. Octagon shaped gold coins are unique and even with the hole in it, it may have some great value depending on the rarety. I looked around for a half hour and could not find one exactly like yours. I found an octagon shaped one, but it had a circle within it. I would get it checked out. Nice! I love the cross too!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I am surprised no one has pointed this out before, but that is not a real gold coin. It's a fake coin token, and relatively modern at that. There were no gold coins ever made like this. Search for "California Gold Token" and you will find whole websites devoted to these tokens. They are usually just gold-plated.

Jeff

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Looking at that coin, it don't look gold plated. Also, that cross that its attached too looks very old as well. The best thing would be to go get it checked out. Let us know how it turns out!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alnitak said:
I am surprised no one has pointed this out before, but that is not a real gold coin. It's a fake coin token, and relatively modern at that. There were no gold coins ever made like this. Search for "California Gold Token" and you will find whole websites devoted to these tokens. They are usually just gold-plated.

Jeff

Nope...it's real.

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
romeo-1 said:
Alnitak said:

Jeff

Nope...it's real.

OK, let me be more clear. There is a *very* slim chance this is a real California fractional gold coin, and not a replica/token. The real California gold fractional coins are very rare. As for the replicas/tokens, they are actually very common and are often found by people. In fact, here is a thread right here on TNet from someone who found one of these replicas:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,177120.msg1291322.html#msg1291322

There are *some* of these replicas that are made of gold for the jewelry trade, but the bulk of them are not and are gold-plated brass. If you want to learn a little more about them, just use Google. For example, here is a whole site dedicated to collecting them:

http://www.calgoldcoin.com/

And some similar ones here:

http://www.calgoldcoin.com/wreaths.htm

Given the relative common nature of the replicas and the extreme rarity of real coins, I would be highly skeptical that this is a real coin; however, the finder should get it tested to make sure it is not, as if it is a real California fractional gold coin, it would be worth a lot of money.

Jeff

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Tesoro Silver Umax
The Cross is Truly a Treasure. The coin is a just a bonus!!!! Great Find!!

~Chris
Cape Coral, FL :icon_sunny:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned several California gold fractional coins through the years and this one looks to be legit to me. That said I don't know the current value trends of these pieces but completed ebay auctions would actually be a good indicator,however, be aware there are several fakes listed at any given time (some are honest, some are not). Congrats on the great find! :thumbsup:

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Great find!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions