Logging camp Winchester 1894 saddle ring carbine

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this Carbine in my first post on this site over four years ago, titled "100 year old Washington State logging camp finds".
I found this Carbine in the first week of a three year dig! Talk about setting the hook on a young md'er!
The camp suffered a fire in 1913 that burned a row of 14 bunkhouses, my family owned the property and we have roots that go back to the R.R. logging company. After this find I was fully prepared to pull every nail out of the burn site. The next 3 years produced hundreds of buttons from work clothes and suspenders of 30 different designs. The Carbine will always be my favorite "best" find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 663
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 591
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 560
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 19

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow you say that hooked i say you swallowed the hook were netted and mounted adter that great job thanks for the great post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow you say that hooked i say you swallowed the hook were netted and mounted adter that great job thanks for the great post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app
Haha!! I wish I knew what I had dug up at the time, I hunt and own guns but I'm not a collector and had no idea what kind of gun it was...I called my buddy (non-metal detector) who knows his guns and he drove over and just about died, he freaked out and I knew it was a cool gun find. Now I realize just how cool it was. Thanks A2...appreciate the encouragement you give myself and others on here

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words. I text on my phone with my big fingers and later realize al my type Os and Es and Rs and Ts and Bs lol

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unique finds for sure!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, it is surprising how even old rusty guns hold our interest.
I agree...I think more would be found if they weren't passed up by a iron tone. I was lucky and found it before I knew how to read my machine, just dug anything that made noise. Haha

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING find :) Do you need help detecting that camp ? LOL
Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread