Logging camp Winchester 1894 saddle ring carbine

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this Carbine in my first post on this site over four years ago, titled "100 year old Washington State logging camp finds".
I found this Carbine in the first week of a three year dig! Talk about setting the hook on a young md'er!
The camp suffered a fire in 1913 that burned a row of 14 bunkhouses, my family owned the property and we have roots that go back to the R.R. logging company. After this find I was fully prepared to pull every nail out of the burn site. The next 3 years produced hundreds of buttons from work clothes and suspenders of 30 different designs. The Carbine will always be my favorite "best" find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 663
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 591
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 560
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 19

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's awesome! ...Forgive my ignorance, but what is in the image to the top right?

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a piece of flow blue porcelain by Petrus Regout, "Atlanta"....found in the camp.
is that what your referring too?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Incredible! I would be in finder's heaven with that site? Thanks for the pictures.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a piece of flow blue porcelain by Petrus Regout, "Atlanta"....found in the camp.
is that what your referring too?

Actually, I was referring to the entire picture #3. Are they all variations of the same type 'thing'?

Ah, NOW I noticed the porcelain in pic #1 *lol* Guess my mind is elsewhere today!

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of real nice finds.Verify of suspender clips real neat.I was however confused your title of 1896 Winchester or mfg.date of yours as per ser.#showing it made 1896 Winchester never made a model 1896,they made the model'95 which you have and a very scarce flatside model at that,meaning the side of the receiver has a flat side as opposed to a step in receiver of those mfg.after the first approximately500which yours is.The flatsides were made 1895-96 as opposed to my stepsided one mfg.ser.#dated 1917 uploadfromtaptalk1462661485875.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1462661485875.jpg

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of real nice finds.Verify of suspender clips real neat.I was however confused your title of 1896 Winchester or mfg.date of yours as per ser.#showing it made 1896 Winchester never made a model 1896,they made the model'95 which you have and a very scarce flatside model at that,meaning the side of the receiver has a flat side as opposed to a step in receiver of those mfg.after the first approximately500which yours is.The flatsides were made 1895-96 as opposed to my stepsided one mfg.ser.#dated 1917 View attachment 1309504 View attachment 1309504
I am interested for sure in any info I can get...serial numbers are not retrievable from rust.
The only reason I thought it was a model 1896 is because of the lever, the lever is not complete, but I thought that the upturn (nub) of metal on the lever. If it is a model 1895 and rare I would be super excited...any other way to tell?

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
highnam I am super embarrassed,just got you and Bavarian Joes notification,looked again at your photo and discovered I had not seen the forrest for the trees.Yours has a tubler magazine instead of the magazine attached to the lever.Baverian Joes very likely correct in stating mod.1894 but it could also be a mod.1892.I am going to attach a photo,I hope .One on the right you can see vertical locking bolts just forward of the hammer,the mod.1894 on left does not have that.Hope this helps!I feel like a real a**! uploadfromtaptalk1462672568083.jpg

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries ecmo...I appreciate the help from those more knowledgable than myself. It can't be easy to ID a rusty gun a such rough shape. I took a picture of the top of the Carbine to hopefully get some more info as to a model 92 or model 94.
Anybody know if a serial # could be retrieved by X-ray or some other technology? Probably a long shot, but how great would it be to know what day it left the factory. image.jpg

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that baby is pretty much toast.Trying to peer through the rust scales(assuming that photo was a top view op the receiver)I couldn't see any trace rectangular hollows of the vertical locking bolts so have to assume it was a mod.94.The model designation would have been stamped on the top tang.That 2" long tapered piece behind the hammer.The serial# would have been stamped on the bottom of the frame forward of the lever and just behind the forearm wood.All the ser.# would do is give you year of mfg.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is there any reason not to use electrolysis on this piece?

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that baby is pretty much toast.Trying to peer through the rust scales(assuming that photo was a top view op the receiver)I couldn't see any trace rectangular hollows of the vertical locking bolts so have to assume it was a mod.94.The model designation would have been stamped on the top tang.That 2" long tapered piece behind the hammer.The serial# would have been stamped on the bottom of the frame forward of the lever and just behind the forearm wood.All the ser.# would do is give you year of mfg.
Thanks Ecmo! I'll go with model 94, because I don't see any trace of the vertical locking bolts either. I would love to buy a much later model to display with the relic one, but I wanted to make sure I was accurate with the right model. Does Winchester still produce a descent model 94? If not, what years did they produce a solid 94? Thanks Ecmo

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the mod.94 is still made to this day but by Fabrique National arms of Belgium under licence of the Win.name as Winchester closed its doors in 2006.Finding a used one should be no problem as millions were made.President Dwight Eisenhower received serial# 2,000,000 back in the 1950's as a gift from Win.Just 1 1/2 week ago my favorite gun shop had a real nice unrefinished mfg.1960 for $450.If you just want a comparison one to the one you dug up you could get a well used/abused one for less.Also bear in mind if you wanted an older (say 19teens)in a saddle ring carbine as yours be prepared to pay at least double that $450 for one not real pretty to look at as the old Winchesters are very sought after collectables.Shop around,visit as many shops as you can.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the mod.94 is still made to this day but by Fabrique National arms of Belgium under licence of the Win.name as Winchester closed its doors in 2006.Finding a used one should be no problem as millions were made.President Dwight Eisenhower received serial# 2,000,000 back in the 1950's as a gift from Win.Just 1 1/2 week ago my favorite gun shop had a real nice unrefinished mfg.1960 for $450.If you just want a comparison one to the one you dug up you could get a well used/abused one for less.Also bear in mind if you wanted an older (say 19teens)in a saddle ring carbine as yours be prepared to pay at least double that $450 for one not real pretty to look at as the old Winchesters are very sought after collectables.Shop around,visit as many shops as you can.
Thanks for the advice Ecmo...exactly the info I was looking for.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Most likely an 1894 Winchester. Man that would be awesome to find one like that...what a story that gun would tell if it could.

I'm wondering if you could use a sandblaster on the bottom part of the frame to uncover a serial number???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread