My most emotional find ever. (A short story)

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not too often that I get emotional about my finds. But this one nearly brought tears to my eyes. It’s not so much what they are, but rather where I found them. There is a little story about these items that I need to tell. It’s the story of a little boy of 9 years old growing up in the small town of Grimes California. He lived next door to the house his grandfather built in 1908. More than 60 years ago, that little boy was me.

My grandfather died in that house in 1930. My father, as well as all my aunts and uncles, were born in that house. My grandmother passed away in the same house in 1950. A family friend and her family have been the only other people to live there since 1950. As a boy of nine, I played in the yard with her son Gene. Gene and I were best friends.

One day my Uncle Joe came home and gave me the Bayonet shown in the photograph. It is a World War II Japanese Type 30 hooked Bayonet. I have no idea where he got it. But to me it was a sword. I used that sword to fight off dragons, evil knights, and of course, Indians. I chopped down many a Star Thistle in the open field across the street while making tunnels to crawl through. Then one day I got into trouble with it. I chopped the bark off my grandma’s Orange tree! My mother took my sword away from me and left me defenseless against my many imaginary foes. She placed it on top of the old pump house in the back yard. I never saw my sword again.

Jump forward 60 plus years. Last week I went on vacation and paid a visit to the old home place as I have done every few years since leaving Grimes in 1955. I discovered that the family friend who had lived there since grandma died in 1950 had also passed away the year before. A very nice young family now owns the property. After I introduced myself and told him about my connection to the home, he wanted me to tell him all the history I could about the house and the property. He also gave me permission to use my metal detector in the yard, and to keep whatever I found.

I found many odd pieces of iron, and lots of old purple glass pieces and bottle necks. Some of the items were an old water faucet handle, a broken metal knife handle, and a porcelain automobile license plate from about 1916. I also partially excavated the old root cellar that was dug in the back yard in 1909. Redwood timber lined the walls and bricks covered the floor. It was filled in and relocated about 1925. The license plate was found at the 4 foot level. But the most exciting thing found in the hole was three old beer bottles dating to the 1920s era.

All of these items are a direct link to my ancestors. They surely handled each one of these treasures. Each item recovered stirred strange emotion in me. But none did so as much as what I found near where the old pumphouse once stood. My detector rang out the sound of a large iron object about 6 inches down. At first I thought it was just another flat piece of metal. But then the pointed end was uncovered, and I realized that it was a knife. When I finally completely removed it from the ground, I was speechless and shocked to see that it was my long lost sword. Suddenly I was back in time, and my emotions ran wild. I just couldn’t help myself. The wood on the handle was gone, but that didn’t stop me from standing up and swinging it around as if I were a 9 year old boy once again.

The photos are of some of the things I kept from the day. The block of wood is Redwood from the Root Cellar. I expected to find many items from my family history, but I never expected to find an item directly linked to my personal history. This was definitely my best hunt ever!

Desert Don

20160509_172811 (800x450).jpg 20160509_172933 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173009 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173116 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173146 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173208 (800x450).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 60

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story.
It's amazing when something that's lost comes back to you when you least expect it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Thank you for sharing the story!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nominated for Banner... Cool factor off the charts!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how I missed this post? Great wonderful memory and now you know where she buried it. Thank you for sharing this!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Totally awesome. You certainly must have freaked out finding that. My most emotional find was a handmade infant's silver ring from a known East Coast shipwreck.

OP
OP
D

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Totally awesome. You certainly must have freaked out finding that. My most emotional find was a handmade infant's silver ring from a known East Coast shipwreck.
Very cool!
DD

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what its all about! Super cool Don

Go!d&$ilver

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing story there. I expect we'll see that bayonet popping up in the restoration forum now.

OP
OP
D

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing story there. I expect we'll see that bayonet popping up in the restoration forum now.

No...I don't plan on restoring it. I like it just the way it is. Good idea though.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the best told detecting story I've ever heard, thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
D

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a neat story. Thanks for sharing!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome read! Congrats

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know I am late to the party here, but I am fairly new to these forums and still poking around when I have a chance. With all due respect to BVI Hunter and Night Stalker, this is by far the best story I have seen yet. Congrats on a very emotional personal find. Some things are worth more than gold.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
D Don: read your story, but I have my own reverse story of yours, but I hope mine turns out GOOD like yours. My dad & I started collecting coins back in the '60's. At one point we went to a coin show and purchased a worn down but readable 1848 Large Cent, but it had a flatted smash on one of the edges, thus making it worthless, and only classified as a FILLER coin. I had kept this coin in my pocket, ever since 1987 with the passing of my dad. I had kept it in a squeezable pocket coin purse (mouth) and would get it out every now & then to remind me of dad. Whenever there was some type of family affair (weddings, funerals, etc) I would take it out & rub it gently thinking about dad. Sadly however, sometime two weeks ago I had lost or misplaced my coin purse. I wasn't worried about how much in coin that was in it, only the COIN that reminded me of dad. It has probably been the only thing in my life that meant so much to me & him. I only hope that my luck turns for the better, and I find again my change purse that has within it the memories of DAD. Wish me luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread