Silver Treasure found in the Mountains 07/05/2016

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My story began almost 4 years ago when I purchased my first metal detector that I was dreaming about since I was a kid. Over the years I learned that this is more than a hobby and it is also my favorite workout and a way to travel into the past. I’m not doing this for treasure hunting but sometimes I do find interesting old artifacts.
Today me and my brother we make a team with passion for World War history and we are sharing our adventures with the public trough our Youtube channel and also our Facebook page.
We do go on out trips very often especially in the weekends and last weekend was the same, we decided to do hiking in a close by mountain area and also taking our metal detectors with us. It was a cloudy day with light rainfall but that didn’t stopped us from our adventure so we started climbing. Hiking has some perks sometimes and one of those is that you can see and interact with the wildlife and that day we saw a lot of deer and squirrels and not to forget the birds that on this time of the year are very active.
When we reached the top we found evidence of World War 2 activity, German trenches where were installed tents and where they stayed a few weeks before Russians arrived in the summer of 1944. I forgot to say that on that mountain side there is a forest road about 3 m wide that is used for wood extraction and also as a mountain bike track.
This wasn’t the first time to be in the area we have been there many times and each time we found a few WW2 relics that are present in our videos, this time was the same we found a lot of pieces from explode German S-mines along the forest road. We do not scan the roads all the time because are full with beer and soda cans, meat cans, bottle caps and all sort of nowadays trash. But while we stopped to eat something on the right side of the road I was playing with my metal detector, testing ground balance and adjusting some of the settings. And while swinging the metal detector I had a high signal that on my Garrett AT PRO between 80 and 83 like most of aluminium trash and I was 100% that is a soda can. I almost decided not to dig but the my brother told me if I’m not digging he will do it:D so I started digging.
After removing the first layer of soil I saw something grey but a little bit shiny on the edges this was the first object from that pit and it was a silver bracelet. It was a little bit bent and had some cracks due to it’s location on the road just where the tire of forest vehicles is going. All the pressure over the years affected the relic. After digging out the first objects I checked with my metal detector if there is any signal left and the signal was still strong and about the same value. Just under the bracelet were another two this time one broken into three pieces and one still intact, but that wasn’t all. About 20 cm away from the edge of the road again high signal that was the cherry on the cake, two beautiful “ring” necklaces also silver that were coiled for transportation and maybe lost on the road.
After taking photos, saving GPS coordinates we called the authorities to tell them that we found something really old and we are about to prepare all the paperwork to pass all the relics to the archaeologists legally.
We had a 72 h period to admire the relics, take photos and we also made a short video to show the treasure to the world by sharing it on the internet. In total were five pieces, two necklaces 40 and 60 g of silver and three bracelets 13, 14 and 16 g of silver in total about 145 g of silver. We cannot date these objects precisely but we think are about 1800-2000 years old and we are still waiting for the archaeologists answer for a more accurate dating.
This treasure will be included on the list of National Heritage Goods of Romania and hopefully will be displayed on a local museum after classification and cleaning.
This is not the only ancient relic to be found in the area because last year I found and old mirror about 1800 years old at about 3 km distance from recent finds and about 800 m altitude and maybe are linked but I will let the archaeologists to further investigate and decide if I’m right.
I still can’t believe that I found such treasure, all by mistake and where archaeologists would never reach or do research diggings and I’m glad that I helped to enrich our National Heritage with such discovery.
Maybe I entered into too many details but small things are important in order to do big things and I thank you for the support and for your attention, not at last thank you Garrett for reliable and high quality metal detectors that serve all over the world with great success stories.

With all respect and being thankful
Cristian H.

13123129_503359356539423_8431768653415138170_o.jpg 13217145_503360383205987_6475710527221875667_o.jpg 13116288_503360639872628_1080278628585747085_o.jpg 13122933_503359593206066_1420463177835166310_o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Treasure & Video ! Thanks for sharing it with us :thumbsup:

I like the way you display your Finds photos on your shelf also.
room looks a little empty though. I'm not used to that :tongue3:

OP
OP
CristianH

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Treasure & Video ! Thanks for sharing it with us :thumbsup:

I like the way you display your Finds photos on your shelf also.
room looks a little empty though. I'm not used to that :tongue3:

Thank you so much, well it is a virtual room :D and I'll try to fill it with more of our finds next time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much, well it is a virtual room :D and I'll try to fill it with more of our finds next time.

I was wondering if that is what it Was :tongue3:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very, VERY impressive!
Super finds!
Glad to see you are giving the authorities a chance to do a little science on them...! :thumbsup:
thanks for the video, AND the story!!!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Great to hear and view your finds, ChristianH. Thanks for sharing! Hope they are 1800-2000 years old! In the road did you say? (Well, let's see. There's the language problem, the lack of a VISA ... JUST KIDDING!)

OP
OP
CristianH

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear and view your finds, ChristianH. Thanks for sharing! Hope they are 1800-2000 years old! In the road did you say? (Well, let's see. There's the language problem, the lack of a VISA ... JUST KIDDING!)

Thank you so much, i have the confirmation that are ancient and over 1000 years old but the final results are yet to come :D

Very, VERY impressive!
Super finds!
Glad to see you are giving the authorities a chance to do a little science on them...! :thumbsup:
thanks for the video, AND the story!!!!

Thank you so much, I would be so happy to see these objects in the museum, this would be the biggest reward for me.

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrific finds,recovery and video!
The archeologists will likely want to go to that site and look for other ancient relics.Thanks for posting this amazing find and good luck on future hunts.

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
WOW!!!! stellar. Have you gotten anymore info on the items. Thanks for sharing.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread