Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Group pic of my colonial silver coins - almost 200 of them!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2016
    nc
    Minelab etrac, Makro racer 2
    2433 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    I've been working on some of the hundreds of pics that'll be going in my colonial artifact book that I've been working on for the last year, and finally pulled out all my silver from the numerous displays for a group shot. Can't believe I'm approaching the 200 mark, with half of those coming in the last 5-6 years. This is a large file so you can click on it a couple of times to zoom in to see better details for the individual coins. And my slabbed Lord Baltimore sixpence is not included in this pic. Enjoy!
    so when can i go hunting with you?
    silver coins to date=199, large coppers= 36, best coin 1836 capped bust quarter in au condition. best button= nc button only a few exist, favorite= 1733 spanish cob, 3 early 1700s cut spanish silver, 1794 colonial Italian silver, 1757 half real

us
    Mar 2016
    Hammond, LA
    Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Impressive, to say the least!!

Charter Member
    us
    With proper planning, and investments...my retirement age is now 92

Nov 2013
    Ft. Myers FL
    Garrett AT Pro is my go to machine....the Bounty Hunter and Deteknix Quest Pro are collecting dust.
    10088 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Do any of the cobs match together?...

Thanks for the group pic...
    Oh, and your vanity plate is spot on!
    I invite you to visit my profile, look what I've found!

Be sure to check THE INJURY THREAD, in the General Discussion forum!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...unds-here.html
    and yes..I LOVE MY WIFE!

Super Bowl LI Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BigWaveDave View Post
    Do any of the cobs match together?...

Thanks for the group pic...
    Oh, and your vanity plate is spot on!
    Sorry, but not sure what you mean by cobs "matching together"??
    Many of you were aware that I've been working on a major book project for close to 3 years, and now it's finally been published. This book, entitled “DISCOVERING VIRGINIA’S COLONIAL ARTIFACTS – AComprehensive Guide to Recovery, Identification and Preservation”, is 400 pagesin length and packed with nearly 1000 color photos of 16th thru 18th centuryartifacts I’ve personally recovered over the last 20+ years along with manyquality post-colonial finds that randomly turn up at early sites. I alsobelieve it’s the first of its kind in this subject matter area to hit themarket. But don’t be misled by the title as this is a must-have not only forcolonial enthusiasts, but for all novice and veteran relic hunters as well as itcovers a wide range of pertinent topics including research methods, how tosecure permission, reading and searching sites, finding and excavating trashpits, artifact cleaning, preservation, documentation and display, ethics, andmuch more. It basically doubles as both a “how-to” manual as well as a colonialartifact “encyclopedia” covering all major categories to help more preciselyidentify and date your finds. It also contains 40 sidebars scattered throughoutthe book that expand on various topics of interest plus a listing of “SuggestedResources” at the end of most chapters that identifies other publications,websites, technical papers, etc, for additional reading if desired. The bookalso includes 9 appendices to provide supplemental material. It’s alsoprinted in all color on high quality, glossy stock and is contained within aheavy and attractive hardcover. If you're interested in ordering a copy you can click on the PayPal link below. It's cost is $59 + $5 for shipping within the continental US. If you’d like to check out some sample pages from the book, as well as scan the Table of Contents to get a better feel for what the book is about, you can click on the following link: http://colonialartifacts.com/2017/10/book-description/
    Thanks for looking ....

ttps://www.paypal.me/ColonialArtifacts

PBR

Nov 2015
    381 times
    Most impressive collection. You got me beat. That is an awesome photo of some beautiful pieces.

us
    Jul 2006
    Western PA
    Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
    1287 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    One of these things is not like the others LOL that 8r in the middle is absolutely stunning. Seems to me that you are digging way too much colonial silver you really should let some in the ground for future Generations LOL
    Seek and Ye shall find, (not necessarily what You were looking for)

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1255 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by relic lover View Post
    One of these things is not like the others LOL that 8r in the middle is absolutely stunning. Seems to me that you are digging way too much colonial silver you really should let some in the ground for future Generations LOL
    Look at that 8R, it's so pristine looking it looks like it was just bought off EBay. I'm gonna have to do some investigating.

us
    Aug 2014
    United states of America
    Minelab Exterra 705
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    I've been working on some of the hundreds of pics that'll be going in my colonial artifact book that I've been working on for the last year, and finally pulled out all my silver from the numerous displays for a group shot. Can't believe I'm approaching the 200 mark, with half of those coming in the last 5-6 years. This is a large file so you can click on it a couple of times to zoom in to see better details for the individual coins. And my slabbed Lord Baltimore sixpence is not included in this pic. Enjoy!
    Being in the Western U.S. I'd kill for any one of those! Great batch of colone! (Diggers)

us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Etrac,Excal II,Cibola with garret and minelab pinpointers
    911 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Bill I'll be honest...that may be the most beautiful picture that I have ever seen. I am just blown away by so many pieces of early silver. WELL DONE
    Coil-2-Soil likes this.
    God and country.

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1362 times
    Lots of old silver there Bill. Really is amazing to see all spread out like that.
    ZDD
    Coil-2-Soil likes this.
    Living the dream

us
    Dec 2015
    Ridgecrest CA
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    304 times
    Man that's a lot of silver.
    California Kid The Finder and Keeper of treasures. The dirt pirate. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The California Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

us
    Dec 2006
    Ocean City, Md
    XP Deus. Have Blisstool V6 but only used once.
    1067 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Mind boggling success. Sadly I don't have a single English silver (not even a milled) in my entire collection. I understand the hammered will be tough in my area but a William III ought to pop up here eventually. I have seen them found around me on our local hunts. Anyway, I must be getting close to 100 colonial silvers. All but one is Spanish. If we count forgeries, than 2 as I have a counterfeit 1/3 cut Dutch rider.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus
    4443 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I just found a holed Charles II half real cob the other day. I was again admiring your collection and noticed you did not have any holed cobs. In fact only a few of your earlier pieces are holed. This tells me that holing coins was probably not as common early on. Mine has some wear so maybe it was holed well into the 18th century
    Last edited by toasted; Jun 18, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
    2017 Best Finds
    4 Spanish(2 cobs)-lots of British coppers-1810 LC-1828 LC-1853 Trime-2 1853 Half Dimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token-1875, 1876CC, 1877CC, 1882 and 1887 dimes-colonial silver cuff-Late 1600s two piece asymmetrical buckle(avatar)

All Time Best Finds
    Colonial silver pomander-1600s trefoil spectacle buckle-Philip V 1 real cob-Philip V cut Pistareen- Seated Half Dollar-2 Seated Quarters-21 Seated Dimes-5 Seated Half Dimes-3 Trimes-10k class ring-0 Capped Bust silver

us
    Apr 2014
    White's MXT Pro / Garrett AT Gold
    378 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    WOW! That is so awesome! Congratulations! Congrats again on the cut Noe-11 too!
    White's MXT Pro / Garrett AT Gold

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    I just found a holed Charles II half real cob the other day. I was again admiring your collection and noticed you did not have any holed cobs. In fact only a few of your earlier pieces are holed. This tells me that holing coins was probably not as common early on. Mine has some wear so maybe it was holed well into the 18th century
    Actually, one of my cobs is holed - a 1685 pillar and waves 1 reale. I don't think the hole shows up very well in the above photo, but here's another pic where it does.

Attachment 1463690Attachment 1463690
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cob group pic.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	1463692  
    Last edited by Bill D. (VA); Jun 19, 2017 at 08:45 PM.
    toasted likes this.
    Many of you were aware that I've been working on a major book project for close to 3 years, and now it's finally been published. This book, entitled “DISCOVERING VIRGINIA’S COLONIAL ARTIFACTS – AComprehensive Guide to Recovery, Identification and Preservation”, is 400 pagesin length and packed with nearly 1000 color photos of 16th thru 18th centuryartifacts I’ve personally recovered over the last 20+ years along with manyquality post-colonial finds that randomly turn up at early sites. I alsobelieve it’s the first of its kind in this subject matter area to hit themarket. But don’t be misled by the title as this is a must-have not only forcolonial enthusiasts, but for all novice and veteran relic hunters as well as itcovers a wide range of pertinent topics including research methods, how tosecure permission, reading and searching sites, finding and excavating trashpits, artifact cleaning, preservation, documentation and display, ethics, andmuch more. It basically doubles as both a “how-to” manual as well as a colonialartifact “encyclopedia” covering all major categories to help more preciselyidentify and date your finds. It also contains 40 sidebars scattered throughoutthe book that expand on various topics of interest plus a listing of “SuggestedResources” at the end of most chapters that identifies other publications,websites, technical papers, etc, for additional reading if desired. The bookalso includes 9 appendices to provide supplemental material. It’s alsoprinted in all color on high quality, glossy stock and is contained within aheavy and attractive hardcover. If you're interested in ordering a copy you can click on the PayPal link below. It's cost is $59 + $5 for shipping within the continental US. If you’d like to check out some sample pages from the book, as well as scan the Table of Contents to get a better feel for what the book is about, you can click on the following link: http://colonialartifacts.com/2017/10/book-description/
    Thanks for looking ....

ttps://www.paypal.me/ColonialArtifacts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links