I found this back in 2004 - 140 peices of silver

mickael

Jul 14, 2014
France
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Tesoro µMax - lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in France back in 2004 next to a chateau from the 14th century - 140 pieces of silver
I only now figured out how to convert analog to digital

update:

I was detecting one night under a new moon just off the original road that led up to the chateau about 300 meters before the chateau this must have been a safe keeping stash before entering the chateau then for some reason it was never recuperated anyway I was detecting the evening with no moonlight whatsoever and in a newly cleared field next to the dirt road and was finding nothing what so ever ... I was detecting for a good while and finally decided to pack up, so going towards the road I was symbolically swinging the detector and hit a big strong signal the kind you say to yourself this has got to be a coke can ... it was mid summer and the ground was dry and hard on this spot, I carry a mean viking size hoe style digging tool that weighs about 3kg, I swung it and hit the ground and sparks flew, I hit some flint rock and was like I'm over this but decided one last time, I swung as hard as I could and wedged out a chunk of dirt ... like I said there was no light so I swung the detector again and it was beeping all over the place, I'm like oh sh!t my detector is acting wonky, I pulled out my lamp and Bingo ... coins everywhere, I kept slowly digging this hard dirt and kept seeing more coins .. all I have to say this was a really unforgettable find for me

Last edited:
Upvote 9

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty special find you got. I would keep it together...in a safe place. Some commentary would have been nice, like the ...rest of the story.Thanks for sharing it:thumbsup:.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about some close up pics and dates? Great find!

OP
OP
M

mickael

Jul 14, 2014
France
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look closely you'll see dates like 1556 etc...
most of the dates were from the mid 1500's
there was one from 1498

How about some close up pics and dates? Great find!

OP
OP
M

mickael

Jul 14, 2014
France
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty special find you got. I would keep it together...in a safe place. Some commentary would have been nice, like the ...rest of the story.Thanks for sharing it:thumbsup:.

thx for the input ... I updated with what happened that night

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds on old coins that are worth a lot of money. Good hunting and good luck.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow incredible. !!! One day I hope somthing like that happens to me. Keep swinging that viking hoe.

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great! Awesome find for sure. I couldn't imagine:thumbsup:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SOME will wonder why you worked at night, suggesting no permission? ( although I am certain it was to avoid the heat of the day)

I have not one doubt about your story

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a life time

Top Member Reactions