Token - Road to the Devils Saloon 12 1/2

diggermt

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at metal detecting and new to this site. I obtained permission from a friend who owes a Ranch in Eastern Montana to detect the original homestead on his ranch. I'm finding a lot of really good old stuff. Such as this Token: Road to the Devils Saloon 12 1/2. This might be my best find so far? My neighbor found a recent posting showing the saloon was located in Ismay Montana in the later 1800s. Any more information is appreciated, since were new at this and learning as I go. Everything I have found on the ranch has dated back to the 1878 to 1920's. I've found lots of buttons, bullet casings, a couple spoons and more. Will post more later.

Attachments

• Road to the Devils Saloon.JPG
    Road to the Devils Saloon.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 7

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool. I wonder if the 121/2 is supposed to stand for cents? If so, it stands to reason that they also had a .25 cent token. Great find. Hopefully someone else can tell you something about it.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice token. Lots of collectors in Montana that would love that. We have a ranch 15 miles outside of Kalispell. I was supposed to move there 5,4,3,2,1, year ago, but the weather is just too cold for these old Texas bones. 90's here this week and humid. Changed the cat's litter tonight, carried it outside and came in sweating all over. Ah, paradise...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Digger, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "two bits", which
typically refers to the value of a US $.25 cent coin, better
known as a Quarter.

What you have there is "one bit", or 12-1/2 cents in value.

Way cool find, BTW...:occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What a VERY COOL way to introduce yourself! Cool with Thumbs Up - Copy.gif

OP
OP
D

diggermt

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all//// still wondering if there any way to date something like this. will post more stuff from the same homestead soon ben a good spot for a newby

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An interesting ad for the saloon appears in the right hand column on this page (though politically incorrect by today's standard):
file:///C:/Users/Don/Downloads/seq-9.pdf
And another, equally politically incorrect) appears here (again, in the right hand column)
The Ismay, July 01, 1908, Page 1, Image 1

http://montananewspapers.org/lccn/sn85053189/1908-07-01/ed-1/seq-1/

Don.........
PS: Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all//// still wondering if there any way to date something like this. will post more stuff from the same homestead soon ben a good spot for a newby

I don't know .. the Book on Google I listed is a work of Fiction.

But Obviously the Saloon existed .
I'd guess turn of the Century. But other then that,
I can't find anything

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Trivia about Ismay to enhance (truthfully)the story:
After the Chiefs acquired longtime San Francisco 49ers quarterback Joe Montana in 1993, a Kansas City radio station commemorated Joe Cool's arrival by convincing the smallest incorporated town in Montana to change its name to Joe for the duration of the football season. The residents of Ismay—a town named after two sisters, Isabelle and Maybelle—voted 21-0 in favor of the change. "It would have been 22-0, but one of our voters was out of town," town clerk Wayne Rieger said. In addition to receiving national attention, Ismay's residents were flown to Kansas City to see the Chiefs play the Bengals.
Don....
Source:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/25021/9-towns-changed-their-names-and-4-almost-did

OP
OP
D

diggermt

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks to all so it looking like the 1900's on the token good for me it don't look like a lot off them around// and the ads in the paper are interesting to say the least again thanks for helping diggermt

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kcm ! I'm not sure exactly how I did that :(

Fixed :thumbsup:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might contact Idahotokens on here for more info. He has a lot of resources and may be able to give you more info. Western saloon tokens can be fairly valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread