tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are a couple of things I consider good finds I've picked up along the way. I've been a road peddler for over 20 + years and I love the highway way of selling much more then the air travel way I did it in the late 80's and 90's as you can't hunt the way I do for all the treasure that's out there. In all those years I've hit all kinds of places that sell antiques. One item I took to the Roadshow is this sterling silver football trophy presented by a William Andrews Clark III who I believe is the grandson of this guided age millionaire who made his fortune starting as a 1860's tin pan miner who headed west and later found the need in goods to supply the old west mining camps to later become exceedingly wealthy in copper mining, railroads and other enterprises of the late 19th to early 20th century. The trophy was presented to the best out of three games between the rivalry football teams of the University of Montana Grizzlies and the Montana State Bobcats (known as the Brawl of the Wild) beginning in 1926. This match was to be the first of many rivalry matches played in Butte, Montana at a place called Clark Park in Butte. This trophy is 3.14 lbs. of sterling silver and W.A Clark III would later die in a plane crash along with a fella named Jack Lynch who was instructing Clark in the new method then of flying blind by instruments in Clarksdale Arizona in 1932. Jack Lynch, I have read was an early flight instructor to Charles Lindbergh.

The number two items I took to the roadshow was this pair of (1750) 18th century casted sterling candlesticks. Together they weight 1.10 lbs. I don't even want to say how little I paid for these as you wouldn't believe me. The appraiser agreed only that they were English 18th century sterling pieces, but it would take some research time to pin down the maker and who's Motto of VINTUS NON VITCUS has been inscribed in the center of this Scottish Belt Crest with a Lion. One member on TN from GB thinks the Motto was for the Galways of Ireland?.

At the roadshow my appraiser was Meredith Meuwly Meredith Meuwly | Antiques Roadshow | PBS

She gave a value of no more then $1000. on the trophy and $1000. to $1500. on the candlesticks.

I wasn't allowed to take any picture inside the appraisal area and I did see many appraisers who are regulars on the show, but the fun part was talking with all the other folks in line at the show and hearing about the things they brought along.

Attachments

• clark trophy 1.jpg
    clark trophy 1.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 210
  • clark trophy 2.jpg
    clark trophy 2.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 204
  • clark trophy 3.jpg
    clark trophy 3.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 181
  • candlesticks 1.jpg
    candlesticks 1.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 187
  • candlesticks 3.jpg
    candlesticks 3.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 220
  • candlesticks 8.jpg
    candlesticks 8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 226
  • antiques roadshow SLC 081316.jpg
    antiques roadshow SLC 081316.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 201
Upvote 8

Wetony290515

Aug 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's amazing 🖒

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool stuff. Sounds like you had a good time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread