MY FIRST COIN CACHE !!!

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been metal detecting off & on since 1971. Most of that time was spent in Alaska were I hunted gold nuggets....at which I was very successful! But in 1982 and 1983 I attended college out in the "lower 48" and spent lots of time looking for old coins in the local parks. I used a Whites 4000 D Series 2 detector, which was really good for the time. I found hundreds of Mercury dimes, wheat pennies, and even dozens of silver quarters during those years because the parks were not so hunted out back then. But I never found a coin cache. Time warp ahead to 2015, when I was fortunate enough to acquire a new Whites MXT All Pro detector. After hitting city & state parks hard for a year, I only had 8 silver dimes and some silver rings to show for it. Silver coins are getting VERY hard to find anymore. So, I decided to head to the desert area of the state and do some detecting around old abandoned farms and houses in the country. Its very dry over there and any coins are always in excellent shape, unlike the coins dug at the coast or the wet Cascade range. I had detected several abandoned houses with good results, finding several old Mercury Dimes and even a couple Barber Dimes in excellent shape. I was busy detecting in the hot sun when a pickup stopped and a man approached me. I thought "oh great....here comes trouble!". But he was very nice and suggested I hunt an abandoned farm (he called it a spread) not too far away. So I loaded up and headed over there. It was certainly abandoned and there wasn't a "no trespassing" sign anywhere. After walking the "spread" and not seeing any recently dug holes by other detectorists I started detecting in earnest! I'll never forget this day, August 20th, 2016! After finding the usual wheat pennies, horse shoes, tin, and scrap iron I decided to hunt in angles as seen from the living room window of the old house. I figured that if there were any elusive caches around, their location would have been where the owner could have seen them from his favorite rocking chair in the living room. After hunting out about 200 feet I had found little. Now the address of this "spread" was 249 East - - - - Road. So I put on my thinking cap and decided to go 249 feet due east of the living room window. After detecting about 5 minutes I got a very weak signal which indicated it was deeper than the 12" that my detector reads. I marked the place and went back to my truck and got my clam shovel that I always carry. Going back to the target place I started digging and got down about 10", which took almost 20 minutes in the rock hard dirt. The signal was still there but I couldn't get my pinpointer to read anything. I dug another 3" of hard packed dirt and tried the pinpointer again, and this time it sounded off. Carefully digging a little further I exposed a small white lid and thought, great just another scrap lid. But it was attached to something & wouldn't budge. The lid was 14" deep! After digging around it for 10 more minutes I had it loose in the hole. When I pulled it out I about fainted! It was an old bird seed jar filled with coins! I tried opening it but the lid was stuck on solid! It was getting late in the day so I put it in my bag and headed home. After I had carefully cleaned the jar I saw that someone had applied wax all the way around the lid, apparently to keep moisture and water out. The lid came off with some effort and revealed Buffalo Nickels clear to the top of the jar. Dumping them out onto a towel on the table I as stunned to see 7 silver dollars at the bottom! The coins were very clean and looked like they had just came out of circulation. The wax job on the lid had really worked! There were 108 Buffalo Nickels and 7 silver dollars, 4 of which were the old Morgan dollars. The oldest silver dollar was an 1880 and the newest a 1922. The oldest Buffalo Nickel was a 1918 and the newest a 1937, and one had a key date of 1931-S. I wish I would have had a camera with me that day, as I would have loved to photographed the jar in the hole and just after recovering it. I'll always have a camera with me from now on! I can't wait to get back to that "spread" and see what else might be waiting for me! DSC02300.JPG DSC02301.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 37
OP
OP
F

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for 40 years and I have found several small caches. Some of them were found in jars similar to yours, and in different types of soil. But I have never found a jar that did not have some rust in the lid that did not let moisture in onto the coins. One of the caches that I found was a small jelly jar that had the rubber seal inside the lid and the rubber hardened and cracked allowing moisture into the jar. I am just saying that it is very odd that the outside wrapper (80% +-) was still glued to the outside of the glass. And yes I am still dubious that seven silver dollars and over hundred buffalo nickles fit into that size of a jar. That would be an exhilarating find and I share your excitement. That may it be, I wish everyone luck in finding that illusive treasure waiting to be found. Good Luck in your future hunting. :headbang:

OP
OP
F

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, I challenge anyone doubting all those coins will fit into a jar measuring 4.5" high and 2" wide to try it. I also believe that the depth it was buried (14") and the rock hard material it was buried in helped protect it from moisture. And the lid was rusted, but the wax(or what ever it was) kept the moisture out

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find and story behind it. Thanks for sharing!
I bet there are more cache finds like that around old houses. You hit a good one.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find. I take your claim at face value. You are not saying you found a Viking gold hoard in a Skippy jar and posting it on the Royal British Society of Archeology and getting a multi-million endorsement deal from Garrett . Banner!

Last edited:

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find ! When ever hunting on dry land , I try to think like you did in this situation. " Where would I hide a stash if I lived here in the old days ? ". Love it when I suspect a certain area , and end up being right ! Great feeling ! Congrats again !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story and very cool cache, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread