My best day yet!

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, I've been very bad, haven't posted forever, and as excited as I was about this, still waited to post. Last week, finally asked permission to hunt at a farmhouse next door to a relative's home in Massachusetts. Oldest house in neighborhood, supposed to be from 1840s or so (town is from 1600s). I was really excited - my goals for the year were my first US large cent (have a couple of Canadian) and pre-1900 silver. The very first signal I got was mixed but strong. I dug, probed and came up with... a rusted staple. But I was good and rechecked the hole, and there was still something there. Probed some more, and found this button - believe it's a Civil War Union cuff button. yes? no?
IMG_0775.jpg
So I was all excited that my first find was a keeper. I was only digging strong, not deep signals b/c I was in someone's yard, brutally hot out, trying to conserve my energy and keep their lawn nice. The very next signal I dug was this 1848 large cent!!! The reverse was beautiful, the obverse crusty. Pics after just a rinse and then some rubbing (I know, I know).
1848LCObverse.jpg
1848LCReverse.jpg
IMG_0778.jpg
Obviously I was thrilled, kept digging and just dropping stuff into my pouch. Thought I had two more big old coins. The second turned out to be a clad quarter. The yard had obviously been turned more than once - kept finding lincoln mem pennies at same/deeper depths than old coins. The third big coin turned out to be this:
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
From the net, my best guess is a George II English half-penny from around the 1740s (no date). AAAHHH!!! Here's a better pic from the web (found a better one, but can't find right now...)
ha52.jpg
Thanks for looking, and hope everyones' summers are going wonderfully,
LL

Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Awesome day girl! I am so jealous. I wish I was there with you, but the way you dig I would have still had to wait until today to find out what you had!

Are you going to try and clean them up or leave them as is? Don uses the old warm peroxide trick and it does work wonders.

SWEEEEEEET! ;) ;) ;)

OP
OP
laralucine

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, guys.
Kim - did the large cent in peroxide, but got scared to do it too long. Soaking more in distilled water then I'll Renaissance wax them or something...
I forgot to tell you when I talked to you, but I did look at them right when I came inside. Drove straight to Scott's work to show him. yay!

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
wow I"m so jealous, I wish I could Detect anytime I wanted :) Call me we"ll get into the water this weekend.

Little finder

Jul 10, 2007
Awsome stuff I hope I find cool stuff like that on my first hunt ever! (well kinda my second) but I did not find any thing my first time :'(

From little finder! (history hunters daughter) :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions