55.4 KB · Views: 1,578
Upvote 0

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Pretty amazing...first one I've ever seen....any info you can provide about them?...were they issued to all soldiers?...thanks for sharing......what else are you hiding from us? ;D

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperhead said:
Pretty amazing...first one I've ever seen....any info you can provide about them?...were they issued to all soldiers?...thanks for sharing......what else are you hiding from us? ;D
Private issue. The soldier probably had it made for himself. Very Rare to find one. I have never seen another, although there are some out there. Not hiding anything, but it takes 1-1/2 hours to tour through the museum. I will show a few things as I get time.
DG

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captain Jack said:
amazing finds! Do they give you credit at the display in the museum for finding and donating them?
The things I have found and donated, I just put on display. People who donate items are given credit for the item. I have most of my collection on display so I don't need to take credit for them since i am the executive director. Is that what you mean?
DG

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
dg, what's the size and composition of the tag? ...did some searching about civil war tags and read some were made from coins....was yours specifically made to be a tag?....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RUDY2003 said:
Truly a piece of history!.

That's the truth. DG, this is really awesome. One day I'm gonna get to your neck of the woods to tour your museum.

;) RR

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Copperhead said:
dg, what's the size and composition of the tag? ...did some searching about civil war tags and read some were made from coins....was yours specifically made to be a tag?....
I am also curious DG. What type of metal is that and was it made from a coin?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually I was curious about the research done on the soldier. Did he survive the war?

George

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Here is one a buddy found name scratched into coin.

Attachments

• coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,189
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,110
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,110
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
Actually I was curious about the research done on the soldier. Did he survive the war?

George
To be honest George. I never got around to tracing him down. if anyone wants to.. :) feel free to do so.
DG

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
When I get some time I'll run the name and see what comes up. I don't want to be negative, but it looks more WWI era then Civil War. I thought I saw some others on T-net there were almost the same that were WWI vintage. No matter what the period still a great find!!

MonkeyBoy

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Copperhead said:

Figured I'd ask again....maybe you missed it.....maybe not.... :-\

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperhead said:
Copperhead said:

Figured I'd ask again....maybe you missed it.....maybe not.... :-\

Sorry Copperhead. The size is aprox. 50 cent. It is at the museum so can't measure it right now.
For some reason I thought I had answered your question, then I saw I had not. Composition seems to be a lead based material. Maybe aluminum ,but i don't think so. I know it was specifically made to be a tag. It 's workmanship is clearly seen in the photo's. Washington Art. was a Central Louisiana CW group.
DG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread