Post Your best finds That You Thought might have Made banner.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably everybody that has posted on here over the years has made a find that they thought might have made the banner, but for one reason or another they slipped by. This is not a thread for complaining it just happens, perhaps the find never received enough votes, or perhaps the story line was not good enough, could be a number of reasons.

I haven't posted a thread for a while, so a chance to look back at some of my finds, and others from over the years. I have had my share of banners so I can't complain really, but I must admit I thought some were a no brainer, and some unlikely to make it up top.

I'll start with one that I thought was a no brainer, but didn't go up top despite probably being one of the rarest of my finds. A key dating back to the 9th century and most likely from the Viking/Saxon period.

SS

Attachments

• Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 1 key.jpg
    1 key.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,501
Upvote 31

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never find anything worthy of being on a banner. It's just the nature of living in a town established barely 100 years ago.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner seems to be somewhat arbitrary. I understand that the moderators need final say but sometimes I scratch my head over what makes it and what gets passed over.

The only piece of advice I will submit to the moderators is that Banner finds generate traffic. I don't want it cheapened but perhaps finds like the key revisited in this thread may have deserved a harder look.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never find anything worthy of being on a banner. It's just the nature of living in a town established barely 100 years ago.
Modern finds like rings still make the banner Jason. Don't you travel to organised digs in the US.?

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner seems to be somewhat arbitrary. I understand that the moderators need final say but sometimes I scratch my head over what makes it and what gets passed over.

The only piece of advice I will submit to the moderators is that Banner finds generate traffic. I don't want it cheapened but perhaps finds like the key revisited in this thread may have deserved a harder look.
perhaps I never supplied the history behind the key in the original post, no worries though.:icon_thumleft: And I don't want this thread to go south, with what should have been.:occasion14:

SS

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern finds like rings still make the banner Jason. Don't you travel to organised digs in the US.?

SS

HAHAHA, you don't seem to understand the populace I live amongst. Banner worthy jewelry.... Maybe a small chance when I visit the ocean, but not around here.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
perhaps I never supplied the history behind the key in the original post, no worries though.:icon_thumleft: And I don't want this thread to go south, with what should have been.:occasion14:

SS

Agreed. I will tap out of the thread. It wasn't my intention to stir the pot.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't have that attitude. There's plenty of finds to make in Oklahoma, I'm sure of it!

Last edited:

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found an ID disc this year. It's toasty, but I was able to figure out who the soldier was.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have that attitude. There's plenty of finds to make in Oklahoma, I'm sure of it!

Well, I was being somewhat facetious in my comment. I realize an incredible find could come from anywhere, but the extremely limited habitation of my area seriously cuts those odds. The eastern part of the state (the part with the hills, trees and rivers) has had a lot more people for a lot longer time span but I'm not driving 4 - 5 hours without a good spot in mind and permission already secured.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to disagree with you Jason, the potential towards the fact that during the Oklahoma land rush every quarter section had to be built upon. I recall a teenager that found a tin can with 21 silver dollars inside when he and some other boy were clearing up an old homestead for 4-H. If you had found such a treasure I would most surely vote Banner. That is one of the reasons that I wish I was back in Oklahoma.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live in a town of 140 people, founded in 1903. Sure the chance of finding Spanish silver and Rev War relics is basically zero, but I believe "banner" finds are waiting to be found everywhere. Heck, gold coins were circulated I think into the 1920's, and I'm sure you have the possibility of finding some great relics where you live. I live north of North Dakota in the middle of nowhere, and yet I have managed to find some really great stuff. It's always where you least expect it! Keep digging.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread Silver Searcher, and that key is mega cool! I could definitely see that up top!

It irritates me when people downplay the banner. Why the attitude that it's "uncool" to be excited to make the banner? As long as people don't get obsessed with it, I think it's great to post a special find and then be recognized by your peers. Seeing the amazing posts on the banner inspired me to keep digging and stay interested when I was new.

Now, back to this "thought it was banner worthy" thread. I have made a few finds that I thought could make the banner in the past. This first one was my very first post on treasurenet, and I'm sure that's why it didn't make the banner. I found this huge coin spill- a Morgan and two Barber halves. The 1896 half has an "S" mint mark making it a semi key and worth a few bucks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477342826.635592.jpg

The next one I thought for sure would get voted up, a key date 1903s Barber dime in incredible condition. Even at XF 40 it's worth nearly $800. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477343002.751028.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477343030.117992.jpg

And finally this Indian Wars hat badge. One of my all time fav finds, never thought I'd find something like this where I live. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477343144.140982.jpg

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't care about the topic.

Just wanted to say that is a gorgeous key! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread Silver Searcher, and that key is mega cool! I could definitely see that up top!

It irritates me when people downplay the banner. Why the attitude that it's "uncool" to be excited to make the banner? As long as people don't get obsessed with it, I think it's great to post a special find and then be recognized by your peers. Seeing the amazing posts on the banner inspired me to keep digging and stay interested when I was new.

Now, back to this "thought it was banner worthy" thread. I have made a few finds that I thought could make the banner in the past. This first one was my very first post on treasurenet, and I'm sure that's why it didn't make the banner. I found this huge coin spill- a Morgan and two Barber halves. The 1896 half has an "S" mint mark making it a semi key and worth a few bucks. View attachment 1374200

The next one I thought for sure would get voted up, a key date 1903s Barber dime in incredible condition. Even at XF 40 it's worth nearly $800. View attachment 1374201 View attachment 1374202

And finally this Indian Wars hat badge. One of my all time fav finds, never thought I'd find something like this where I live. View attachment 1374203
Love the badge, I like finding stuff like this but it's nearly always in bits from the plow.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying on the Viking era this was another rare find for me, a Viking imitation of a Anglo Saxon silver penny from the reign of Edward The Elder...899-924.

SS

Attachments

• Viking.jpg
    Viking.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 791
  • V R.jpg
    V R.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 776

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only just got back into the hobby within the past year with no significant finds to speak of. That said, I have found a whole lot of cool things in past years. One thing i have learned by reading and watching others post is....Make the picture as presentable as possible. Staging the find with a great background can't hurt. Also, a well written story covering the event leading up to and the recovery of the object is a must.

Im not really sure if i want to go through all that trouble to get banner but i think i have an idea on how it works. Good luck to those willing to try.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
How about things that made banner that didn't belong? I found a small cache of Native American artifacts, very cool find but I didn't think it was banner worthy. Don't get me wrong, part of making the banner is your Treasurenet peers, and for that reason, I am grateful. Dang, the PM's that flooded in after that went up....lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions