RARE 1877 INDIAN HEAD CENT

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
Back in the 1980's, I was metal detecting in an old Midwest park and dug up this 1877 Indian Head. As shown in the picture, it came out of the ground pretty green but it has pretty good detail and it is, still, a rare 1877. I've never sent it in for grading but wonder what it would grade in that condition.
Any comments??

Attachments

• 1877IndianHead(side1).jpg
    1877IndianHead(side1).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,223
  • 1877IndianHead(side1).jpg
    1877IndianHead(side1).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,223
  • 1877IndianHead(side2).jpg
    1877IndianHead(side2).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,206
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the letters in the headband are all too worn to be read. The good news is that the coin grades a strong G-4. Undug, it should fetch a little over $700. I would imagine you could still get $400-500 for it even though it is in dug condition. Don't attempt to clean it though. And I don't know that it is worth your trouble to send it in for grading. Key dates in G or VG condition usually don't warrant that type of treatment.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.

Only 2 replies to date on a 77, tough crowd!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Great find.

Only 2 replies to date on a 77, tough crowd!

Yeah. Two replies and 1200 views. Ain't that a crock! This is a KILLER coin, and worth more than most of the coppers or spanish silvers that make the banner. Way to go!

Cheers,

Buckleboy

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great injun! Most members looked at this and said oh its only one coin big deal! They have no idea what they are looking at! If it was a gold ring that had 24k marked on it ( 24k is the first sign it is a fake junk or plated etc) you would have made the friggin banner!

KFB

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Gorgeous coin, I know I would be willing to give $400 for it even "dug" to add it to indian head collection. That does beat most finds out there, including most gold coins. You made my banner...Ryan

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Great Find!! Good Luck with the grading.

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Great find!! ;D

This is my first time seeing the post....must've missed it the first time around...Well worth a pat on the back!! :D

WTG!
Hank 8)

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you sure, cause I have a few of theses coins, but not that date, mine are from 1983 to 1908 and in nice too

jc

BuckleBoy said:
It looks like the letters in the headband are all too worn to be read. The good news is that the coin grades a strong G-4. Undug, it should fetch a little over $700. I would imagine you could still get $400-500 for it even though it is in dug condition. Don't attempt to clean it though. And I don't know that it is worth your trouble to send it in for grading. Key dates in G or VG condition usually don't warrant that type of treatment.

Regards,

Buckleboy

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
OUTSTANDING FIND SWANNIE1...

I'm NOT trying to steal ANY of your thunder but,yesterday I unearthed an 1889 indian head from 6" deep that completely blew my mind.It is green in color but it looks like it didn't see more than a month of circulation,EVERY detail is preasant,the field doesn't have a single scratch on it,full reeding, the works!!She's the prettiest IH I've even seen.I can't understand how this coin has no oxidization or verdigres on it.I'ts the seventh one I've ever found and none of the others can even hold a candle to it.My oldest is a 1864,and no not the "L" variety..Thats the closest I ever came to a key date like the 1877,Congrats again.

Sorry I can't share a picture with you all,I have NO idea how to.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Looks about VG8 and worth about a used XLT. ;D even though it is "dug" it does not appear to have a pourous or pitted surface, so color in that condition would not have much effect on the value. The deep scratches may net it a G4, but still several hundred bucks.

Way cool find!

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
kindafoundabuckle said:
What a great injun! Most members looked at this and said oh its only one coin big deal! They have no idea what they are looking at! If it was a gold ring that had 24k marked on it ( 24k is the first sign it is a fake junk or plated etc) you would have made the friggin banner!

KFB

Plus, most gold rings, after being melted, only have about $40 in gold. This is WAY better!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a house full of stuff that I have dug but nothing that valuable. Find of a life time! Big congratulations!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread