Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking through the boxes of finds I made when I started this hobby back in 2010. Found a few cool things that I didn't appreciate back then, I was obsessed with old coins. Also I was on my own, no detecting forums or digging friends to give feedback.

Anyway, tonight I came across this thing. It still had dirt on it, I never even cleaned it after I dug it! Tonight I cleaned it up because I really like the image, and sure enough it's marked Sterling.

I found info online, its a match safe circa 1900, and in nice shape they go for around $400. Obviously mine is pretty beat up and the top is missing.

With the lid it would have weighed 1.2 oz, so I figure I still have the better part of an ounce of silver. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479177548.188050.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479177582.166425.jpg

Thanks for looking, and don't forget to look at those old finds you have stored away!

Upvote 9
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice piece. What was it for?

Thanks bag lady, it's a match safe. Keeps your wooden matches dry, even has a rough strip on the bottom to strike the matches on.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean 90% of my finds after the hunt. That is a nice piece. My suprises come when I clean my wheats, My eyes are not as good as they once were and while hunting I wipe the back of the pennies to see if they are memorials or wheats. A few times when I cleaned the wheats when I return home I get pleasantly surpriczd to find an IHC in the batch.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean 90% of my finds after the hunt. That is a nice piece. My suprises come when I clean my wheats, My eyes are not as good as they once were and while hunting I wipe the back of the pennies to see if they are memorials or wheats. A few times when I cleaned the wheats when I return home I get pleasantly surpriczd to find an IHC in the batch.

Thanks Loco. I usually clean my finds as soon as I get home these days, long ago I didn't. I only rinsed off the coins haha. I still love my coins, but I really enjoy finding a good relic!

Finding an IH in the wheat pile would be cool, hasn't happened to me yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread