MY BEST AND WORST FIND??? YES, ITS GOLD!!!.....BUT GROSS!!! UPDATED

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
MY BEST AND WORST FIND??? YES, IT'S GOLD!!!.....BUT GROSS!!! UPDATED

Well, I haven't logged onto this site since about the end of April because my wife and I finally bought a house and I've had no time to do any MD'ing. We moved in around May 1st and I've been spending every waking moment fixing the house and cleaning everything up. This is our first house, so we had decided to buy an old, old, old fixer upper not far from downtown St. Paul with the intention of selling it again after a few years. The county records state that the house was built 1908, but we're thinking that the house is much older than that. Maybe 1880 - 1890 or even earlier. The dates on some of the gas light fixtures is 1880ish, so we're thinking around there sometime.

The story that we were told is that our fixer-upper was the original farm-house in this area before it was heavily populated. That makes sense since the house is by far the oldest in the neighborhood and it's built on the highest piece of ground in many blocks with most of the other land being fairly flat, like you'd find with farm fields.

So anyway, when we moved in at the beginning of May, I was checking things out and snooping around. I was in the old pantry off the kitchen and saw that there was a recess above the top cabinet shelf that was 1/2 covered with an old wood moulding. The pantry has 9 foot ceilings and I figured that when the lady got foreclosed on, she probably forgot to check up there.

So I got on the countertop, stood up, and reached up and over the moulding into the recess on the top shelf. Sure enough, there were a bunch of old newspapers in there. I tried pulling some down, but they were so brittle that they were just falling apart into little pieces. So my wife and I figured that we'd pull them out some other time when we didn't have anything going on (we were cleaning at the time and this was a low priority on my wife's to-be-done scale).

So a few weeks went by and we were soon settled into our new house. I was re-wiring a new light fixture and switch in the old pantry, when I remembered the old newspapers on the top shelf. Since I was already up on the stepladder I figured I would try to get some of the newspapers down to see how old they were or if there was anything interesting in them. My wife and kids were eating at the table just outside the door of the pantry. I told my wife to get a cookie sheet to put the newspapers on so that they wouldn't fall apart so bad and we could get a date off of them. So I tried pulling one of the top papers out and it again crumbled into tiny little bits. I thought something heavy was on top of the papers, so I reached up and started trying to find what it was.

The first thing I found was an old military uniform patch from a Minnesota regiment.
The next things were a few buttons, probably off of the same uniform.

And the last thing.............was a small manila-colored envelope about 3" tall by 2" wide......AND IT WAS HEAVY!!!

I pulled it down and realized that this was the heavy object that was sitting on the papers causing them to fall apart when I tried pulling them down.

I asked my wife what she thought would be inside and she jokingly said, "Teeth."

I said, "No way!!".

But, sure enough, the envelope had a number of gold teeth inside (6 total).

Now here's where it gets gross. Four of the teeth (big teeth too, molars??) were still connected by gold and had all of the roots attached!!!

And even grosser, the other two teeth inside were also attached......and had been charred by fire.

So, I thought it was most likely some type of battlefield war loot.....meaning that someone had pried them from a dead (hopefully) soldier or something to that effect.

Further backing up my little idea was the newspapers that we found. The one that was directly underneath the teeth was dated 1943 and had a front-page story about London being fire-bombed by the Nazis. I'm still trying to figure out if that is symbolic in some way, especially since two of the teeth were charred.

So, as my wife and I are broke after buying our first house, we were debating on what to do with the teeth. But, we decided to do the right thing and make a police report first before trying to sell the gold. Especially considering that I don't want to get in trouble for attempting to sell gold teeth that may or may not be war loot. Or, they could think that I'm some type of grave robber or something. I like to avoid those types of situations :-X

I called St. Paul PD and they sent a nice officer out. She confiscated the whole works and said it would be referred to an investigator. She said to call in a month and we may or may not have the gold teeth returned to us, depending on the results of the investigation.

Weird, huh? And I made one big mistake. I didn't take any pictures of the teeth, patch, or anything. Now I'll probably not get them back and will have no proof of this wild tale. :-\

But if I do get them back, you can be sure I'm going to post pictures on here right away. It's been almost a month now and I think I will give them a call after work to see what the results of the investigation are.

In regards to my old house's yard, I haven't found a thing with the metal detector except for one piece of copper wire. I couldn't believe it! I figure I'd find at least some old pennies, but low and behold.......nothing. This place must have been cleaned out by someone else with a MD. Oh well, there's lots of other places to go.

Take care,

Ryan1979

Well...I've left a message for every single investigator from this investigations department in the last few weeks. I'm going to call one more time to the property room and if they don't release it to me, then I'm going to give a call to Internal Affairs. I don't want to to do this, but if they can't at least give me a call back after all this time, then the He)) with them. One way or another, I'll be posting back here and letting everyone know what the outcome was.

Sunday August 24th, 2008 - I got a postcard in the mail yesterday from THE MAN (the police). The card says we can pick up the stuff within the next 30 days. I'm going down Wednesday. I'll take some photos and post them on here. Wow, it only took a full year to get this stuff back (sarcasm). Better than not getting it back I guess.

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: MY BEST AND WORST FIND??? YES, IT'S GOLD!!!.....BUT GROSS!!!

Wow! I am not so sure I would be excited about that find! Too funny that your wife guessed right tho....she must have peeked when you weren't home! ;) lol Thanks for sharing the story!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the new house! Sounds like a neat old place. What a strange tale though. I'm hoping that the teeth aren't really war loot, but just the former owners that somehow got burned (maybe she was a smoker :D) In any event, you did the right thing by turning them over-do the police always investigate cases where things of value have been left by former owners, or was it because it involved "human remains"? In any event, if you get them back, I think you should sell them ASAP. I know it sounds superstitious, but if there's a possibility that they came from where you think they may have came from, keeping them around is just bad karma.

OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used

artemis moon said:
Congrats on the new house! Sounds like a neat old place. What a strange tale though. I'm hoping that the teeth aren't really war loot, but just the former owners that somehow got burned (maybe she was a smoker :D) In any event, you did the right thing by turning them over-do the police always investigate cases where things of value have been left by former owners, or was it because it involved "human remains"? In any event, if you get them back, I think you should sell them ASAP. I know it sounds superstitious, but if there's a possibility that they came from where you think they may have came from, keeping them around is just bad karma.

I think they probably only get involved in the cases of human remains or suspicious items. If it would have been cash or something like that, I wouldn't have called them. And yes, if we get them back, they're getting sold (after some pictures are taken).

Ryan1979

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Sounds like your home might be a good one for the TV show "IF walls could talk". Love the show because of stories just like yours.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Don't think you need anything to back up the story, it'd be way too hard to make up! :) one of a kind find :)

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Ahhh... the "fixer er upper and flip" theory!! The problem with that whole thing is... by the time you get around to getting the old house all fixed up to sell.. is you have put some much blood and money into it.. you can't sell it! It sort of takes ownership of you.. not he other way around!! Keep looking all over the house. The house I live in now is old.. the original part is 1790 with one "addition" done in 1838 and another I did in 2002. I found boxes and boxes of stuff.. I decided to turn the attic into living space. I pulled the massive oak boards up and there was so much stuff underneath them it brought construction to a halt of days.. I found clothes.. shoes.. bottles.. letters.. books.. all kinds of stuff. The best from the attic were a a few bank drafts from 1833 - 1835.. I found a 1840s man's sleeping shirt and some high collars from the 1870s. The house was owned by William Matthews at the time.. his name in written on the inside of the collar.. he was a Virginia delegate during the Reconstruction. I also found a really cool gold and ivory writting pen under the wainscotting. By far.. the best thing I found was in the cellar... I was digging out the dirt.. leveling it off to pour concert when I turned over a Union knapsack triangle!! So I stopped using a shovel and slowly dug out the area.. I found all the brass from the knapsack.. some eagle buttons.. a few percussion caps AND.. a Union Soldier's Stencil!!! I will take some pictures and post them... but you don't know what you are going to find in an old house... I still find stuff in the yard.. when it rains or working in the flowerbeds.. tons of glass.. pottery.. clay pipes.. buttons etc... I have found a few good coins.. an early counterfeit British penny.. a couple of large pennies and a 1870s seated dime.. keep digging.. the stuff is there!!

MonkeyBoy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do a History search of the House and its Owners.
where they lived before,

and their Occupations.

Especially the Last one.
as it's hard to believe the last tennants missed it.

However I believe this

Further backing up my little idea was the newspapers that we found. The one that was directly underneath the teeth was dated 1943 and had a front-page story about London being fire-bombed by the Nazis. I'm still trying to figure out if that is symbolic in some way, especially since two of the teeth were charred.

Would make me guess they are Probably what was left of a Soldier,
and was returned to the family.

Very Cool & Intresting Find.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

mrs.oroblanco said:
I guess I'm a little less concerned than most - gold is gold is gold. If you melt it down, all the "other stuff" will be gone!!! ;)

B

I agree... teeth are teeth... nuthing too wierd about that! Someone saved gold... nuthing too weird about that. I think they are keepsakes that were forgotten about... your's now hopefully!

If you don't get your stuff back in a reasonable time call a newspaper and tell your tale - they should be able to find out what police are still doing with your teeth! Do you have a reciept for the items they confiscated or that you gave them?

What a cool story about finding stuff in the house - I think cntrydncr1 is right!

OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used

Good possibility Jeff, I'd never thought of that.

I called the Police yesterday and I'm waiting for the investigator to call me back. Quite a run-around. I started with the information line, then was told to call records with the case number, they said call the property department. The property department said they have something, but before they release it, an investigator has to review and sign off on it. So I called the investigation department, got the voicemail and left a message. So, if I get them back, I'm going to take the pictures, post them here, and then find somewhere to sell the gold!! I'm thinking the gold weighed in the range of two ounces, minus the weight of the teeth. So, we'll see. Old houses are the greatest!

Ryan1979

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

I'd call the newspaper if you think theres any hankypanky with the P.D., def make a great story.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Very interesting, sounds like a fun treasure hunt and adventure.

Personally, if I were to ever find something that I thought was human remains, IE the charred teeth with gold caps (as apposed to finding a gold cap at the beach that you could surmise was lost), I think I would have to treat it with a lot of respect. I would probably go to the nearest cemetary and re-bury it in the war hero section. It just seems like bad karma to profit from a piece of remains to me.

Hope you can get back there Ryan, good luck to you and keep the good finds coming.

Smiles!
BDoo

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have kept them......

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the newspaper story of the "nazi" fire bombing of london england and of "charred" teeth with w WW2 type uniform makes me think--a american soldier in WW2 england is killed in a "nazi" fire bombing raid---his "remains" (ie the teeth) are shipped home by some nice english folks with a paper that told of "what" happened to him---a symbolic uniform was "issued" to the family and the remains (teeth) turned over with it --- Ivan

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

I agree with cntrydncr1 it would make a good story for the tv show "If Walls Could Talk". Don't let this go. Keep calling the police department and if they won't give them back to you ask if you could at least get some pictures of it for yourself. Surely they couldn't object to that. This is one of the reasons that people DON'T turn stuff into the police.

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. I found a big fold up knife at a local park. Wicked looking thing. I did take pictures of it before I turned it in. They told me that they were glad I had turned it in because there had been a series of muggings at that same park by knife point. They told me to come back in 30 days and if that was not the knife in question the knife would be returned to me. Well the month went by and I went to claim it only to be told that the only way they would give it to me is if I put a $25.00 ad in the lost and found and wait to see if anyone claimed it from the paper. I said no so I didn't get it back. Well at least I do have the picture. Call them and ask if you can at least get a picture of it. ;)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

sounds like a cop got himself a new knife sadly---Ivan

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boy was that a ripoff on the knife...That is just why you dont turn things in and be a good citizen...YOU GET SCREWED almost everytime...They are so money hungry its unreal....

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

My grandfather passed on to me some gold crowns and bridgework he had "found" on someone who no longer needed them when he was riding with General Pershing against Pancho Villa. When I was young and a jeweler I melted them down and made an engagement ring for my wife-to-be. No idea what she did with that gold after the divorce but I'm sure that sometime in the future the gold will live again in some other ring or tooth or whatever. That's the nature of gold.

If I had found those gold teeth I woulda fired up the old torch and into the crucible they woulda gone ;D

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds similar to my story.
I went to the mountains near a few hrs from my house where
people were finding silver in a local park. When my buddy and I arrived we took off in different directions. I ended up heading up a small rise that over -looked the valley below. I got a signal as I was heading up a small granite rock burried in the ground with dirt covering it. Out popped a gold crown! I was excited.....
until I though of why it was there. I looked around and didn't see anything more so I continued to search. After 6 gold crowns and a small piece of bone about 1/2" or less, I decided I better quit. It was creeping me out and I didn't want to dig up any old body.
I took them back and showed my buddy who immediately thought of the obvious. It was where somone had dumped a loved one.
I toiled with throwing them back, but GOLD IS GOLD and it didn't come from this man's or woman's body originally anyways!
It came from the ground, so I figured I'd send it into the refiner and finish the job for the poor grieving widow.
After it was refined, I ended up with about $225. Not bad for a day in the mountains.
I think your gold is from the widows husband. Seems to me you bought the house. Anything you find in it is yours as you purchased it fair and square. You could have saved yourself alot of hassle by sending it in in the first place. But... you gotta do what is right for your concience.

Here's my teeth (that I found).
Found the other set at the beach. Boy was I surprised. I advertised to find an owner for these, but never did.

Attachments

• DSCN9066.JPG
    DSCN9066.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 6,727
  • DSCN1221a.jpg
    DSCN1221a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 6,713

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe

Update yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread