"Hunted Out" Park Finds

M

minelabex1000

"Hunted Out" Park Finds

Here are a few of the finds I've made in a couple of extremely "hunted out" parks.

These are tiny parks in Michigan where entire clubs have regularly hunted for the past 20+ years. Even pull tabs are getting hard to find!

There are several gold and silver rings and large silver coins not in these pictures as my kids wanted them. I also found several Civil War era relics not shown here.

May this pump somebody up? ;D

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 1

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Hunted Out" Park Finds

nice finds, awsome fobs. Thanks for posting them ..............;jeff

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Yeah buddy! That's taking the leavins'! Great hunting!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Now when you hunt a prk when even pulltabs are a scarce commodity, then you're gettin' to the good stuff. Great finds! HH

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

Digginman said:
"Hunted out" usually means the junk has been removed.? Patience pays off!!!

Good show! You're exactly right.

Get a quality detector, do research, learn your detector, hunt slowly and methodically, bingo! It's utterly amazing.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE

Fantastic finds! Congratulations. When I am told a park is hunted out, it will usually be the next place I hunt. It motivates me. I actually get somewhat excited since, although not impossible, it is unlikely that there is nothing left. If you factor in the size of a coin (even a large one) compared to say just one acre, you begin to understand that it is entirely possible to hunt that area many times and still miss the coin. Now pepper in years of trash that may mask the signal and the odds grow greater that it will be missed repeatedly by perhaps many before it is found by one lucky soul. Great job! Good luck and HH to all!

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

This is what I like about this forum, there are many gathered here who know their stuff.

Right now is the best coin shooting opportunity the hobby has ever seen. Many have cleaned away the heaviest trash so we can find the deep stuff.

Very nice indeed.? ;D

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

DigginD said:
EXCELLENT FINDS!? Yeah!? :)? ? ? What does FOB stand for? ???

fob? Boy, you got me???

I've always known it as a fob but never asked what the letters stand for. I don't think it means the seller is responsible for the shipping :)

Anybody out there know?

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice stuff. I know what you mean about hunted out parks. I find them all the time with a good bit of stuff left behind from past hunters. Keep up the good work. Those are the type of era coins I turn up regularly. Good luck and nice finds.

HH Jer

M

mrmark55

That is about the best set of finds I have seen in a good while. Just don't see that many good finds much anymore! Congrats!!!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

I found that most of these clubs the hunt in parks are fast sweepers and don't take the time to hunt at a slow pace. Great finds, most excellent. ;D

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

49er said:
I found that most of these clubs the hunt in parks are fast sweepers and don't take the time to hunt at a slow pace. Great finds, most excellent.? ;D

Exactly right!

I'll never forget the first time I set up a "chalk line" as a guide. I moved very slowly and followed it up and down.? Then I moved it over until I had hunted a piece of ground about 10' x 20'. When I finished I had a hand full of old coins. I'd hunted over the same spot at least a dozen times before and never found a thing!

Move too fast and your detector will only catch SOME coins in the 2 to maybe 3 inch depth range (mostly new coins). Hunt slowly with a quality machine and start finding the old good stuff at 2 3/4 to 10+ inches deep.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Here's a little trick I picked up, probably should be under techniques. I have a Fisher w/spider coil. I use the center circle of it as if it was a 4" coil and then when swinging it, I overlap it. It takes a long time to cover any ground but I don't think you'l find much left behid me. Right now my trash ratio is eenough that I carry a 30 gal. trash bag w/me as the pouch gets full quick but the treasure side is also filling.

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

stoney56 said:
Right now my trash ratio is enough that I carry a 30 gal. trash bag w/me as the pouch gets full quick but the treasure side is also filling.

Oh yes, I've met a few guys like you out there. You're the ones responsible for REALLY hunting out our parks? ;D? That's OK, better you get the goodies than land development. There aren't many like you out there.?

Don't you sometimes wonder how people lost so much stuff?? I mean all those rings and coins and jewelry that was hard to come by a century ago. I know they played much harder in the parks back then, but still, it's amazing.

I'm not nearly as effective as I once was. Since my low back problems I've been forced to use more discrimination? :-\? Oh, I can still cut a mean rug, but I can't give it my all anymore. This is why I spend more time water hunting now using a long handled stainless steel scoop.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Good points all, I sometimes hurry my search in the mistaken impression that you can still "chery pick" the sites. No can do. Gotta follow Stoney's production model, overlapping the most effective part of your signal footprint. Since I mix hunting sites/styles often in the course of a single day, it is necessary to constantly remind myself what it is I'm looking for at a site to keep in mind the best approach to finding it. I like reading up around here 'cause you guys keep me mindful of the keys to good hunting habits and that's the best find!

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

Here are a few suggestions I'd make to park hunters.

1) Hunt the fringe areas. Those places most missed are where most of the coins and artifacts are located. This is where people parked their buggies and tied up the horses.

2) Look for hills or steep banks. In the old days, people used parks 100 times more than people today. They would "court" in the park, have Sunday socials, and many times engaged in vigorous competition (tug-of-war, etc.). Thus hills and steep slopes made for nice places to lie down for a rest, chat, etc. Also, these slopes got slippery after rains which resulted in falls. Then in the winter time little kids would slide on these little hills.

3) Find out where the gazebo was located. A gazebo is "A small roofed building affording shade and rest." These were common at the turn of the century (1900's). Bands played on these and people gathered around. Many of the coins posted here were found where an old gazebo once stood.

I could go on and on but this should give some newbees some ideas.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Fob \Fob\ (f[o^]b), n. [Cf. Prov. G. fuppe pocket.]

1. A little pocket for a watch; -- callled also a watch pocket. [1913 Webster]

2. a short chain or ribbon attached to a pocket watch, usually worn hanging out of the watch pocket, and used to conveniently remove the watch from the watch pocket. [PJC]

Fob chain, a short watch chain worn with a watch carried in the fob; a fob[2]. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions