Antique ivory billiards 3 mini pocket ball.

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This is an ivory billiards 3 pocket ball made from either elephant or buffalo. Weighs one pound and 1 1/4 inch in diameter. Ran test to confirm and numerous opinions from people who make ques. Most likely from the world trade fair in Hampton park 1901. Also German and antique machine made marbles. I wouldn't know how to valuable ivory or the history of us handmade antiques. Anyway it is a very awesome find.

Upvote 4

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to knock your find...

But IMO I see nothing to indicate / indicative of Ivory... of any kind... let alone elephant.

I suggest you find better "experts".

PS... There is NO such thing as "buffalo ivory".
Buffalo have horns... not tusks.

Sorry.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem. I'm not an expert but I was just going of people's opinion. I know it's not plastic because it did not melt and to heavy for plastic or resin. I don't know if you see the faded 3. You can only find that in billiards. Hope this is a simple description for you.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup it is clay. Mini pool ball. Make since I found it with clay marbles. They think early 1900's. Thanks I was about to give up.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got here a little late. I am an expert 35 years in the business. (now retired) Those are clay composition balls as you already know.

The number 14 ball appears to be cast phenolic resin manufactured by Saluc imported from Belgium, also known as Belgium Aramith balls.
Hard to tell for sure because the ball is so dull. Could also be a Chinese imitation of the Aramith ball. :tongue3:

Would have to see it in person to be certain.
*Never mind I zoomed in on your photo and am now fairly certain that it is not a Belgium ball.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread