Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging a road tearout in Minnesota today, this was my very first good signal. I had no idea at first that I had just uncovered a bit of very ancient American history, dating almost certainly to at least 1000 years before Christ!

IMG_20170509_194818066.jpg

I had a friend with me that knew exactly what I had found. It is a Copper Culture spear point. A beautiful one, and in pristine condition! How it got under that asphalt, we'll never know. It really wasn't all that deep... maybe 4".

I found it only a few hours ago, and am still trying to wrap my mind around what I have. I am boggled.

Upvote 24

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find congratulations

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Nice Find.
It's stuff like that that makes me certain that our history is something very different than what we've been taught.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about that spear point & decided to see what else was going on in the world at the time that was made. The experts say that the Copper Culture existed from 1000-6000 BC (some say only to 3500BC).

In 1000 BC, the Iron Age started. The Phoenician alphabet was invented. Soloman & David were kings of the Israelites.

In 2000 BC, Stonehenge was being completed. My spearpoint may well be older than Stonehenge!
In 2000 BC, glass was discovered.

In 4000 BC, they discovered silver.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind boggling, isn't it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be posted in Native American artifacts forum! They'll give you tons of info on it!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were there any archaeologists salvaging artifacts from the road tear-out? NO?
Score another one for guy (or gal) with a metal detector! :hello2:
Imagine if you hadn't been there, that amazing piece of history would never have been found.
More than likely would have been scraped out and hauled away. That's what you call "Saving History!"
I would let it soak for a few days in distilled water to let any contaminates seep out.
Congrats on a super find!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW WOW WOW !!!!! Soooo, forgive my ignorance , is this "Native American" or brought here from Europe??? Oh and Congrats :headbang:

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations that's a great find!

Thirftstore

Greenie
May 4, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Fisher coin machine.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 2017 and I just read your post. I'm humbled by your find. Congratulations.:occasion14:

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
They were very advanced & dangerous ppl. Tons to learn about them. A real dark age. It's difficult to imagine anybody could have cold hammered copper ore into that incredible spear - surprisingly similar in design to later examples found throughout the world. Perhaps some learned to forge? Incredible find!! Congrats dude. Can't get enough of seeing copper culture. Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• 1494999159149.jpg
    1494999159149.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They were very advanced & dangerous ppl. Tons to learn about them. A real dark age. It's difficult to imagine anybody could have cold hammered copper ore into that incredible spear - surprisingly similar in design to later examples found throughout the world. Perhaps some learned to forge? Incredible find!! Congrats dude. Can't get enough of seeing copper culture. Thanks for sharing.
Without sharing too much, I have some family history with Isle Royale National Park and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. When I was about 13 or so, I "mined" a small piece of rock from one of the prehistoric (eg: Copper Culture) mines at Isle Royale. I could see hints of copper in spots. So I brought it back with me and made a hot campfire, heated that rock up in the fire, then tossed it into Lake Superior to shatter it. I then used a rounded beach rock as a hammerstone to break off some of the rock, exposing a nice chunk of native copper.

I had that for years, but alas... when I was away in the Navy and my parents moved across country, that, along with much of my other history, went in the trash.

So, in a way, this is more than a find for me... there is a certain amount of reconnecting to my own past, as well.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Is that your own point in the picture?

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
My buddy Glenn found that on one of our digs a few weeks​ ago. I have some awls, conical points, beads, a knife & a bunch of preforms. Posted most of them in NA indian forum. Send you a pic if your interested. He has found way more than me, but neither of us have a freak'n spear head yet :{ Copper culture is our favorite stuff to find.

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Im not 100% sure how the whole process works, but I have nominated this as a banner find. I hope it makes it, in my opinion it belongs there. Incredible find, congratulations. If that were in my collection, it would hold a special place.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW WOW WOW !!!!! Soooo, forgive my ignorance , is this "Native American" or brought here from Europe??? Oh and Congrats :headbang:
Native American, from what we call the "Copper Culture". The area around Lake Superior is one of the few places in the world with native copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread