🥇 BANNER The find of a lifetime! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. 18814336_10209321218691077_6990423850541621481_n.jpg 19105701_10209321219051086_7146193852843806294_n.jpg

Upvote 137

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy moly. This one should be displayed up top for sure. Banner vote. Incredible find and amazing condition!

Thank you! I still look at it every day. I can't believe I actually found the Number One coin on my bucket list!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm voting banner for this coin. Don't know why it's not up there already? Congrats on a great find

What an amazing find, and the condition is superb for a dug coin. BANNER

I voted Banner on this as well. A 350 year old coin find in the US deserves it, I don't care what anybody says.

Obvious BANNER! That is one of the nicer dug tree coins you are going to see. In my opinion any Mass silver should go up top.

Donnie you definitely brought home the mail with that one! Talk about a BINGO

Thank all of you for your kind words and comments. I also want to thank my digging buddy and good friend, Dan, because it was his site and I will be forever in his debt.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stellar find! Congratulations! Banner!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was always under the impression that these were made with a screw press like this
View attachment 1466259

Thanks for the image! From my reading, it is generally assumed that the large planchets were made on a rocker (or roller) press and the small planchets (like mine) were made on a screw press. Unfortunately, there are no detailed accounts of exactly how they were made; therefore, the experts make their assumptions by looking at the details of the coins themselves as being the best evidence of how they were made.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the image! From my reading, it is generally assumed that the large planchets were made on a rocker (or roller) press and the small planchets (like mine) were made on a screw press. Unfortunately, there are no detailed accounts of exactly how they were made; therefore, the experts make their assumptions by looking at the details of the coins themselves as being the best evidence of how they were made.

Kind of makes them even cooler with so little known Donnie

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how in missed this one, but WOW! To find such a coin, and in that condition is just mind boggling.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't know how in missed this one, but WOW! To find such a coin, and in that condition is just mind boggling.

Thank you! I'm afraid to touch it. It still has the dirt on it!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really say other than what's been said already...congrats on a GREAT save, that unit is in stellar condition....BANNER...Ddf

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a find.
A big congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to prove great finds are still out there. Congratulations on a find of a lifetime!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe how nice this coin is! Congratulations on such a magnificent find.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bbbbbbbbbbbbb......

Can't really say other than what's been said already...congrats on a GREAT save, that unit is in stellar condition....BANNER...Ddf

What a find.
A big congrats

Just goes to prove great finds are still out there. Congratulations on a find of a lifetime!

Awesome coin!!! congrats

I can't believe how nice this coin is! Congratulations on such a magnificent find.

Thanks everyone! Not only is it a dream come true just to find a Pine Tree Shilling but the condition is unbelieveable! The coin was obviously lost soon after leaving the mint or hoarded and then lost. My digging buddy, and friend, Dan, told me that sometimes colonists would save their better coins and spend their more worn or clipped coins.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin, congratulations! :occasion14:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez Donnie the Banner Nazi's here aren't going to put this coin up because why ?
That's what we all would like to know. Just exactly what does it take to rate banner?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeez Donnie the Banner Nazi's here aren't going to put this coin up because why ?

I have no idea. I thought it was The Holy Grail of Metal Detecting! monty-python-and-the-holy-grail_pan_17302.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread