Liquor store find...

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A homeless guy in front of me in line at the shady liquor store near my apartment paid for a single soda with 5 mercury dimes, one 1964 silver Kennedy half dollar, and one 1964 silver washington.......

Just for a coke...

All I saw at the time was a bunch of really old change so I asked the cashier to give me 10 dimes, that 50c piece and 2 quarters. I got all the change the homeless guy paid with. I grabbed my stuff and tried to hey out there and give the homeless guy a $20 but he was nowhere to be found. I was going to ask to buy his other old coins from him and give him a lesson about dates and characteristics of silver coins in case He didn't actually know what he had.

Oh well. I got some nice silver coins out of it.

20170629_160941_HDR~2.jpg 20170629_161143_HDR~2.jpg

My first ever silver quarter and my first ever mercury dimes. And they came from a homeless person at a liquor store.... This is my second time this month getting silver coins at a store....

I feel like I should spend less time metal detecting and more time going to small stores and whatnot. Totally ridiculous that I have found more coins by accident than I have specifically looking for them.

Upvote 15

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow....you should hang out at the liquor store more often!

scdigs

Apr 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The important question is where did a homeless person pick up all that silver

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing... I really hope it's not stolen. Who knows... Maybe he has a metal detector. Homeless people even have cell phones these days...

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to know a guy that worked at a liquor store near Atlanta and he had received several gold coins in payment for booze over the years, and real silver dollars were not that uncommon either. On the other hand I received a Shield nickel in change from a food vending machine about 20 years ago - you just never know what you can run across in circulation given the dumbing down of the general population.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing... I really hope it's not stolen. Who knows... Maybe he has a metal detector. Homeless people even have cell phones these days...
highly unlikely on the MD Highly likely on unscrupulous gain. But not much you can do about it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to know a guy that worked at a liquor store near Atlanta and he had received several gold coins in payment for booze over the years, and real silver dollars were not that uncommon either. On the other hand I received a Shield nickel in change from a food vending machine about 20 years ago - you just never know what you can run across in circulation given the dumbing down of the general population.
Proof of the dumbing down of the population is the liquor store clerk giving them to you

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is now my second cash registerish find. Both times aided by ignorant clerks who don't know possible the value of currency

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sometimes when I go metal detecting I appear to be a "homeless" person. Wandering through the woods talking to myself and cursing all the litterbugs and their damnable TRASH!:pain10:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice observation skills there mate. Too bad the guy got away. I reckon there was more where he got that pocket of silver. Oh well. Ya' done good for sure. :icon_thumright:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someones silver stash likely got burgled.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I knew about silver coins since I was a little kid... It shocks me when I find out somebody doesn't know that our change used to be made of silver... Especially when they are a supposedly functioning adult

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great haul! Too bad he was nowhere to be found. My wife constantly comes home from work with more silver than ive ever dug!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The important question is where did a homeless person pick up all that silver

Sadly stolen I'm sure. My dad owned a gas station when I was a kid and people would bring all sorts of stuff in. Wasn't worth the hassle of trying to not sell to them so I'd take everything at face value. Sadly a dude brought in a $20 gold coin a paid for some cigs. We knew the local police and asked if there was any recent robberies and we were able to return the coin. The owner was cool and gave us a real $20 to cover the change we gave the dude.

Leroy36

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Cobra Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes when I go metal detecting I appear to be a "homeless" person. Wandering through the woods talking to myself and cursing all the litterbugs and their damnable TRASH!:pain10:

that is the most relatable post i have seen.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh man I know ! Most of the time my clothes are rags anyways so I look the part as well.:laughing7:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great saves! Yeah, sad to think someone else is probably missing those coins right now. Maybe you'll run into this man again.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Yeah and I have seen some folks that portray being homeless and broke, that actually get into a brand new Lexus, Infiniti, Acura and even Mercedes cars or SUVs when they leave their panhandling spots. Sometimes, it is hard to determine who is truly needy versus just someone padding their' Bank Accounts.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread