My strangest paranormal experience and ring return in metal detecting!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has been several years ago, but I thought I would share this experience with the members of TreasureNet. I do have photographic proof of this incident because I wrote a story about it. at the time, which was published by Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine. The following is a brief summary of my experience along with some photos:

I lived in a small town at the time. The type of town where everybody knows everybody. So, most everyone in the town knew that I was the local metal detecting nut because they would see me in yards, fields, and down by the railroad tracks. One morning, at 7:00am, I received a call from a local lady named Ruby and she was, basically, in tears. She had lost her gold wedding and engagement rings, the day before, while raking leaves, and asked if I could find them for her. I said, yes, and quickly drove to Ruby's home.

When I arrived at Ruby's she told me the strangest "paranormal" story. She had raked the leaves in her yard the day before and placed them into large trash bags. Finished with her task, she made dinner, watched some TV, and retired for bed. At around 2:00am, her deceased husband came to her in a dream and asked her a question, "Ruby, where are your rings?" He then proceeded to tell her that if she did not find the rings, at that moment, they would be lost forever. Ruby awoke immediately from the dream and realized the rings were not on her fingers, nor on the nightstand.

Ruby searched the house but could not find the rings. Remembering the leaves, she took a flashlight out into the yard hoping to see the glint of gold in the dark. She had no luck in finding the rings and thought about the trash bags of leaves that she had collected. She went down to the curb and retrieved the trash bags so the garbage man would not pick up the bags. She stored the trash bags, full of leaves, in the kitchen and called me the next morning.

I set out searching the yard after hearing this incredible story. After about an hour with no luck finding the rings, I asked Ruby to get the trash bags out of the kitchen so I could scan the bags of leaves. I was quickly becoming discouraged in having no success finding the rings. Ruby dumped the contents of the bags onto the ground while I scanned the leaves with my White's XLT. Bingo! I found the first ring followed up quickly by the second in the bags of leaves! Ruby was smiling from ear to ear and I couldn't believe what just happened!

The "moral" to the story is the "paranormal" experience. Ruby's late husband, John, came to her in the dream and told her she lost the rings. That was not all, as he also said that if she did not find them immediately the rings would be lost forever. That would have certainly been true had Ruby not awakened, searched, and, finally, retrieved the bags of leaves from the curb. If the garbage man had picked up those bags early the next morning then the rings would have surely been lost forever as her late husband stated in the dream! Western Eastern Treasures January 2006.jpg Western and Eastern Treasures 2.jpg Western and Eastern Treasures 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 25

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic story and congrats for finding those rings!

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good of you, great story and whoa! :angel8:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love those stories like this. It was almost dark and I was hunting a Civil War Battlefield once and heard my name whispered from behind me (I use the single headphone so I always have an ear I can hear things around me.) At first I thought it was my brother ( I even remember asking, "What?" when I heard that), but I looked up and he was way off in the distance. He was the only person around and was busy detecting with his headphones on. I even took my headphones off and glanced around it was so clear. Well I turned and went metal-detecting in the direction I heard the whisper and literally in about one step in that direction I found a Civil War minnie ball. I remember going at least an hour previous and not finding anything, because it's a typical "hard-hunted" battlefield. Made me wonder if some soldier's spirit was playing with me and helped me out a little at that moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love those stories like this. It was almost dark and I was hunting a Civil War Battlefield once and heard my name whispered from behind me (I use the single headphone so I always have an ear I can hear things around me.) At first I thought it was my brother ( I even remember asking, "What?" when I heard that), but I looked up and he was way off in the distance. He was the only person around and was busy detecting with his headphones on. I even took my headphones off and glanced around it was so clear. Well I turned and went metal-detecting in the direction I heard the whisper and literally in about one step in that direction I found a Civil War minnie ball. I remember going at least an hour previous and not finding anything, because it's a typical "hard-hunted" battlefield. Made me wonder if some soldier's spirit was playing with me and helped me out a little at that moment.

I am a firm believer that many finds are out there just "waiting" on you. Other's can't find them because they are meant for you to find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the very interesting/heart warming story! :icon_thumleft:

JBM

Nov 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like these type of reports when personal irreplaceable finds have been found on request.

I have returned a few myself from over the years.

It gives the finder a warm feeling inside to watch the losers face when the items are returned.

I can also relate to the paranormal side of your story myself.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice story Donnie. Thanks for sharing it with us. This kind act and great story was well worthy of an article written for sure. A win-win situation. The lady had a visit from her late husband and he revealed to her how to go about finding her lost rings. And then of course you came into the picture with your trusty XLT and helped her find her rings. Thank the Good Lord for her dream. If the bags of leaves had been left out on the curb for the trash collector, as said they probably would have never been seen again. You are a man I'd like to talk to. I too use the Whites MXT PRO for relic hunting here in Georgia. I saw too that you also use the Garrettt AT Gold. How would you compare these two detectors for relics? I once owned the AT PRO. I liked the detector, but I wanted to go back to a detector with a threshold for relic hunting. I know the AT Gold has the threshold and I always felt that maybe I should have gotten the Gold instead of the PRO. I really like the MXT PRO. I have found some relics in areas that I couldn't believe. Areas that have been hunted and beaten to death. I was just wondering how you would compare the two. I know that the AT Gold operates at 18khz. Would you say that the Gold is more sensitive and a deeper detector than the MXT PRO?

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice story Donnie. Thanks for sharing it with us. This kind act and great story was well worthy of an article written for sure. A win-win situation. The lady had a visit from her late husband and he revealed to her how to go about finding her lost rings. And then of course you came into the picture with your trusty XLT and helped her find her rings. Thank the Good Lord for her dream. If the bags of leaves had been left out on the curb for the trash collector, as said they probably would have never been seen again. You are a man I'd like to talk to. I too use the Whites MXT PRO for relic hunting here in Georgia. I saw too that you also use the Garrettt AT Gold. How would you compare these two detectors for relics? I once owned the AT PRO. I liked the detector, but I wanted to go back to a detector with a threshold for relic hunting. I know the AT Gold has the threshold and I always felt that maybe I should have gotten the Gold instead of the PRO. I really like the MXT PRO. I have found some relics in areas that I couldn't believe. Areas that have been hunted and beaten to death. I was just wondering how you would compare the two. I know that the AT Gold operates at 18khz. Would you say that the Gold is more sensitive and a deeper detector than the MXT PRO?

Thank you for your kind comments. I ran a White's XLT for over 15 years. After that, I ran the White's DFX for a few years and then strayed off to "greener pastures" for a year with Minelab. I loved the Minelab but I couldn't bear the thought of paying that much money for the machine and the extra coils. I also never found anything deeper than I had with White's. I bought the Garrett because a lot of my buddies were using them at colonial cellar holes and I must say that I love the machine for it's ability to pick through the iron.

I still own the Garrett and use it on rainy days but since I cut my teeth on White's I just love the machines. I know what they are telling me. I would think the MXT is a deeper machine than the Garrett due to the frequency. I use both machines the same way so it is not a big deal to go back and forth. I use mixed mode on the White's and Iron Audio on the Garrett. I like to hear the iron and the good stuff in between.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every other year or so I get a call from a guy who wants to take me hunting. He always takes me to some strange place and explains what I am actually seeing. His knowledge of the old areas is awesome. I dont know where he lives, or what he does for a living. I could not tell you his nationality. But would say maybe native as he can walk for miles in the worst of conditions. While I hear a lot of storys from other treasure hunters, this ghost of a person actually takes me on walks and shows me how its done. I can not wait for his return again, its always a adventure.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the very interesting/heart warming story! :icon_thumleft:

I like these type of reports when personal irreplaceable finds have been found on request.

I have returned a few myself from over the years.

It gives the finder a warm feeling inside to watch the losers face when the items are returned.

I can also relate to the paranormal side of your story myself.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

awesome story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Every other year or so I get a call from a guy who wants to take me hunting. He always takes me to some strange place and explains what I am actually seeing. His knowledge of the old areas is awesome. I dont know where he lives, or what he does for a living. I could not tell you his nationality. But would say maybe native as he can walk for miles in the worst of conditions. While I hear a lot of storys from other treasure hunters, this ghost of a person actually takes me on walks and shows me how its done. I can not wait for his return again, its always a adventure.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. Casca, that is a strange story! Wow!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting deep in the woods at a burned down 1912 logging camp, It is a place so remote Ive seen more bears than people over 4 years...
One day I returned to the camp with my dogs and started in where I had left off the day before...I was picking nails out of a burn site and spent the entire previous day working a 8x8' area....
As I started in again, I caught a glimpse of a shiny round metal object, I seemed to catch me looking at it as it slowly duct back behind a downed log out of site. I was completely shocked, my dogs noticed me looking at attention and they both saw the object rise up again to take a peek at us. My dogs went nuts, I called out "hey"...this is private property and no response, the thing slowly duct back behind the log. My mind racing I stepped forward with the dogs, still yelling, the object once again rises from behind the log....
Son of a gun.....its a half spent helium balloon, rising and falling behind a log...

Haha!! That's my scary story...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread