Grand Slam on Colonials

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For many years on several forums a Grand Slam was considered getting a Seated, Barber, Mercury and Rosie Silver dime in one hunt. Well, in one of my most satisfying and quick hunts, I kind of came up with a new definition of a Grand Slam. :)

I was hunting on a long sand spit, and area of sandy high ground surrounded on both side by swamp and ending at a swamp. Where the end of the land was I came upon a small clearing and iron hits abounded. I quickly and I mean quickly, within 15 minutes dug 4 Colonial coins, one button and pewter spoon piece, and a few more relics afterwards.

What was surprising was that these four coins were evidently dropped by the same person or persons who occupied this what must have been a trapper's campsite in the late 1700's or so.

The big surprise was the span of the coins, 1694 William n Mary Halfpence, 1724 King George I Halfpence, 1740-1754 King George II (Old head style) Halfpence, and a 1770 King George III Halfpence.

I don't think the odds are too great on a repeat performance and I did go back and hit this small site several more times but no more coins were found.

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• Grand SlamReduced.jpg
    Grand SlamReduced.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 1,401
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Looks like a great spill and congrats on finding it!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you Don. Unbelievable finds!
Thanks for sharing the post and pictures,
MM

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Sweet! So how much iron did you dig to get it? Pounds would be good ;) . With the iron the coins will come? Goodness I hope so, I'm digging in the right era :-\. Time.....

Wicked nice finds!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
One of my most memorable days came this year. I found 3 Colonial coppas in about 30 minutes. I hope I can top that this fall, bud.

By the way, Don, you kicked some major a$$ on that site! Keep it up, buddy!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a day Don. What strikes me as odd is they all seem to have the same amount of wear. Not exactly what you'd expect from a Colonial slam.

C.C.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All i can say is Don your the MAN!!! aa

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why I never replied to this one, but I have to say that's an incredible hunt. I like all the finds, right down to the cool padlock. And of course Old Georgie is in my list of things to find this year--any of him. It's great that you got a George I (or should I call him the Elector of Hanover). He was quite a German. LOL.

Regards,

Buckleboy

jonw440

May 26, 2004
Central,MA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, M6, Classic ID
WOW!
I was happy with one.... 4 Holy cow!
I dont think this find will be topped anytime soon!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Quite a day Don. What strikes me as odd is they all seem to have the same amount of wear. Not exactly what you'd expect from a Colonial slam.

C.C.

Welcome to TNet CC, hopefully you will enjoy the more social atmosphere on this forum, and I know with you pingin again, some great finds to be posted.

Now that you mentioned the wear factor, I will have to look at the coins this weekend and see how close they really are, photos are misleading sometimes, there is no doubt in my mind there was nothing more than a lean-to or small cabin, no hole, no foundation bricks or stones, so it was not occupied too long. Also, it is very close to where my Indian Peace Medal and Dragoon button were found, a long stone' throw away. :)

Don

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Great Historical Coins And Great Hunting Spots! The only thing - don't you wish they had more silver in their pockets back then? I know, I know, a silver coin was a lot of money.

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
My guess is you came upon a small camp site, Not occupied to long ,,,I would do a couple of test holes, Maybe you would recover some sherd's of pottery, bones, etc, Use a quarter inch screen ,,,
Best of luck .......................................Regards Simon....

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy mentioned the lock, I believe that lock is the oldest lock I have ever found, I would have to look up again, but I am fairly certain that type was early to mid 1700's, or earlier, I just don't remember anymore, maybe someone will chime in .

Don

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Super job Don. Definately a Grand slam on those great Colonials. I am yet to find any, and don't really think I will here in SE KY, but ya never really know what you can find.

Rev

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy ,you did have a grand slam! Amazing.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my source for the lock, very similar and it appears this reference says it is 17th Century (1600's) so yes, that triangle shaped little lock is my oldest lock found. :)
It is possible it could be a tad later but considering the artifacts found that year in the general area, it is old, regardless. :)

Don

Attachments

• locks2.jpg
    locks2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 741

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions