Rutherford B. Hayes Error

Ender_boy24

Jan 20, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Pro Bounty Hunter with Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So a while back i headed to a bank near my house. I was gonna see if they had any old rolls or just coins. I headed over and asked if they had any presidential dollar coins. I heard that some are circulating with no edge lettering which makes them worth some more. They set a handful on the table for me to look at and i was about to buy all of them when i pick up a slightly worn Rutherford B. Hayes dollar.. without any edge lettering! I bought the handful of presidential and examined the coin with a magnifier. I have a really sharp eye and couldn't see any of the letters which comprise of the date, mintmark, IN GOD WE TRUST and some stars. I took it to a local coin dealer and they said that they couldn't see any letter's either. I told the rest of my family and we decided that we are going to take it to a coin convention that will be coming here. If the appraisers say its good we will send it to either NGC or PCGS. Here's a picture:
20171025_182640.jpg
The rest of the photo's won't work they show up as invalid links.. well the edge is the most important part in this case! Happy Hunting:tongue3:

Upvote 3

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you post a better in-focus pic of the coin's edge? It appears that it is not only missing the Edge Lettering but also may be a Partial Collar Strike.

Frank

OP
OP
E

Ender_boy24

Jan 20, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you post a better in-focus pic of the coin's edge? It appears that it is not only missing the Edge Lettering but also may be a Partial Collar Strike.

Frank

Here you go: 20171026_153510.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the new pic! The Copper core showing through in the one area in the first out-of-focus pic is what threw me off but now also has me wondering if the coin was tampered with before you got it. Since part of the layers of Manganese Brass are missing in the area where the Copper Core is showing, one would wonder if the coin had been sanded down on the edge to remove the Edge Lettering or if it is just due from being circulated. If you can check the diameter of the coin, it would tell you which occurred. The diameter of the coin from the Mint, should have been 26.49 millimeters and should not vary very much from being circulated.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ender_boy24

Jan 20, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the new pic! The Copper core showing through in the one area in the first out-of-focus pic is what threw me off but now also has me wondering if the coin was tampered with before you got it. Since part of the layers of Manganese Brass are missing in the area where the Copper Core is showing, one would wonder if the coin had been sanded down on the edge to remove the Edge Lettering or if it is just due from being circulated. If you can check the diameter of the coin, it would tell you which occurred. The diameter of the coin from the Mint, should have been 26.49 millimeters and should not vary very much from being circulated.

Frank

I did a measurement and got 26.4 milimeters so i'm pretty sure it's not sanded though i may of measured wrong

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been a very educational thread. I hope you have something EB24!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a measurement and got 26.4 milimeters so i'm pretty sure it's not sanded though i may of measured wrong

If there is a Coin Show near you in the near future, take it there and get some opinions from Coin Dealers that deal in Error and Variety coins besides other coins. Also, sometimes Representatives of PCGS, NGC and/or ANACS attend the bigger Coin Shows and most any of them could give you an opinion. If it is genuine and you desire to sell the coin, then you need to consider if it is more advantageous to sell the coin as is or have it certified and graded and the Attribution of the Error noted on the holder's label before selling it.

Frank

OP
OP
E

Ender_boy24

Jan 20, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is a Coin Show near you in the near future, take it there and get some opinions from Coin Dealers that deal in Error and Variety coins besides other coins. Also, sometimes Representatives of PCGS, NGC and/or ANACS attend the bigger Coin Shows and most any of them could give you an opinion. If it is genuine and you desire to sell the coin, then you need to consider if it is more advantageous to sell the coin as is or have it certified and graded and the Attribution of the Error noted on the holder's label before selling it.

Frank

Every season there's a big convention hosted by the Michigan State Numismatic Corp and they have experts from the PCGS and NGC holding coin appraisals. The next convention is in 4 weeks and i'm planning on bringing it there. If they can say it's genuine i'm going to get it certified and slabbed by the NGC or PCGS and if it is genuine i'll think about selling it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Every season there's a big convention hosted by the Michigan State Numismatic Corp and they have experts from the PCGS and NGC holding coin appraisals. The next convention is in 4 weeks and i'm planning on bringing it there. If they can say it's genuine i'm going to get it certified and slabbed by the NGC or PCGS and if it is genuine i'll think about selling it.

Great and I am sorry I did not post a link to upcoming Coin Shows in Michigan! I had it up on my screen but forgot to copy and paste the link.

Local Shows 2017

Frank

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I tend to agree with the opinion that this is an altered coin, so I am going to guess, based on images and posts above, that this coin is also a bit underweight. Perhaps as much as 0.1 grams, but more likely between 0.07 and 0.09 grams.

I have found a few similar to this, with the core showing, missing edge lettering. All have been light by about 0.1 grams, and smaller in diameter by about 0.1 mm. Most have had sanding scratches or machine marks visible when viewed through a 30x loupe.

You may still have a genuine error. Let the professionals take a look.

Time for more coffee.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you run into Bill Fivaz (Cherrypicker's Guide to Rare Die Varieties of United States Coins fame) and/or Larry Briggs (of Larry Briggs' Rare Coins, Sovereign Entities Grading Service - SEGS and the leading Expert on Bust and Seated Liberty Coinage), please tell them that Frank Ferrell from Tennessee says hi. While they are getting old (older than me) and may have difficulty remembering me as they meet and know a lot of people, I have known them both for about 20 years. While Bill is from Georgia and Larry from Ohio (part of the time in Chattanooga, TN), they both attend lots of Coin Shows across the United States and there is always a chance that folks get to see and/or meet them at the bigger Coin Shows.

Frank

Bill Fivaz
Bill Fivaz pic.jpg

Larry Briggs
Larry Briggs pic.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread