My best finds of 2017, silver and gold

Triple555nickel

Mar 14, 2017
Staten Island, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excal II, AT Pro w/ 14" Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great year this year, met some great hunters and good people. Here's a shout out to new friends that I met TH'ing this year like East Coast Hunter, Smokey the Cat, TrebleHunter, Carolina Tom, Scrappy, Bartek, Smittyman, Loco Hunter and N3tuf. Without you people I don't think I'd have found half of what I found.

Anyway, There were way too many things to post pics of so I'm just going to show the very best.

Last January we made our annual trip down to Vero Beach, FL where someone must have flipped their blanket on the beach and lost this pair of Tiffany earrings and a titanium wedding band: Vero Beach Tiffany earrings Jan 2017.jpg Vero Beach titanium wedding band Jan, 2017.jpg

Found this Colonial belt/trade ax in a park in Edison, NJ: belt ax 01.jpg belt ax 03.jpg

East coast hunter (Charlie) set up a hunt at a colonial site in Staten Island where I met a great bunch of guys, some mentioned above and I picked out this beautiful NY state militia EXCELSIOR button c. 1819: NY militia button c. 1819.jpg

Charlie also set up another hunt on a colonial site where I found my oldest spanish silver, a 1750 0ne reale, also found were a 1773 and a 1781 half reale: 1750 obverse close up minor cleaning.jpg 1781, 1773 half-reales 02.JPG .
Also found on this site was the biggest crotal bell I'd ever found and also a brass figure of cupid sitting on a harp (I just thought these were cool): IMG_0040.JPG Cherub on a Harp 01.jpg

In September, a group of us went down to Delaware to Coin Beach to search the shore for coins from the wreck of the Faithful Steward, a ship that went down in 1785 carrying 400 barrels of British and Irish coins. We met some friends of my friends including Woody (N3tuf). We had a great morning hunt even though we didn't find any coins from the wreck. At a nearby beach I found probably my biggest bucket lister, a 1788 Spanish gold half escudo! obverse 002.jpg half escudo reverso just found.jpg

Next I went to upstate, NY near Coperstown and found this beautiful 1783 Nova Constellatio:
555 1783 Nova Constellatio obverse after cleaning 002.jpg 1783 Nova Constellatio reverse after cleaning.jpg

Next adventure was near Gettysburg where SmokeyTheCat invited TrebleHunter and I down to search a Union outpost where we did pretty good. I found another couple of bucket-listers, a eagle coat button in great shape and a 1834 capped bust dime. Also found were 3 silver half dollars (part of a cache) and a couple of other silvers, a few 3 ringers and some other civil war relics: civil war eagle button general service.jpg 4 coins.jpg 1834 Capped Bust Dime.jpg finds for the day incl. .54 & .58 cal minnie's and knapsack hook.jpg

This was a great year for me, made some great finds and made some amazing new friends. That's what it's all about!

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Impressive set of finds sir. You really got some good stuff this year. Congrats.

Nice getting to hunt with you again.

The Spanish gold coin is just something else. Ummm.

Good luck in 2018, and I’ll see you soon.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what got to the coin to corrode it? Here's mine from coin beach from a few years ago. You did pretty good. I just love those blanket spills. IMG_0002.JPG

OP
OP
T

Triple555nickel

Mar 14, 2017
Staten Island, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excal II, AT Pro w/ 14" Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what got to the coin to corrode it? Here's mine from coin beach from a few years ago. You did pretty good. I just love those blanket spills. View attachment 1533302

Mine wasn't corroded, it came out of the sand just like that. I think it was tumbled in the surf for years and that's why it looks like that.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR year there bud!!!!!! several of my wishlist pieces you got... CONGRATZ.....

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a great year. I love that gold coin, old and gold baby! Congrats on a great year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread