OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awhile back, a couple of detecting buddies and I were invited to metal detect at an old post office and private property in a bordering city. Our main goal was to recover a lost rock breaker bar for the property owner, but ultimately we weren’t able to locate it without more information on where it was lost.

Since we were looking for a large object, I was digging most signals that I thought could be a part of the lost breaker bar when I got a nice high tone in my headphones and decided to dig the target.

About 5 inches down I found this The Anti-Automobile Thief Association of America badge from 1924-1925.

aabadge24.png

The date is difficult to see but top center I can see a date of 1924-25. According to research I was able to learn the following information about this interesting piece of history:

antiauto.jpg

“This early 1920’s photo courtesy of Fred Carlton shows two armed representatives of the Anti-Automobile Thief Association of America in a Stutz Touring Car in Dallas, Texas; it gets the message across that they meant business.

If the rifle didn’t make the message clear, its newspaper advertising campaign would as it stated: If you have a hankering for a sentence behind prison bars STEAL A CAR belonging to a member of the AATA. For we know you methods and you don’t know ours! We never stop until WE GET YOU!

An article in The Insurance Press December 7, 1921 issue about the Union Insurance Company of Wichita, an automobile underwriter, states that the AATA was also a Wichita product. The Company also required its insured to be a member of the AATA which cost the car owner $15.00 per year.

The Anti-Automobile Thief Association of America (AATA) was first formed in Wichita, Kansas, probably in 1918, the year its name was copyrighted.
References were found to the AATA being a parallel organization to the Anti-Horse Thief Association which was first formed in 1854.”

Historical pieces of Americana like this are what make the hobby of metal detecting so interesting.

These types of artifacts teach us about the past and how life was in days gone by. I had never heard of The Anti Automobile Thief Association of America prior to finding this badge so it was a pleasant surprise to learn about the history behind my most recent find.

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Kedrin

Sep 17, 2023
Hello,
My mother passed away April 7, 2023. I was going through her belongings and in a box of her trinkets from her younger days I came across this and thought it was very fascinating. Had never heard of it before until I googled it and found this thread. We live in Ardmore, OK. I don't know where she acquired it, but she was a rock hound and paleontologist along with my father David Smith. So really no telling with them lol
20230917_113042.jpg

Attachments

• 20230917_113053.jpg
    20230917_113053.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230917_113130.jpg
    20230917_113130.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread