OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awhile back, a couple of detecting buddies and I were invited to metal detect at an old post office and private property in a bordering city. Our main goal was to recover a lost rock breaker bar for the property owner, but ultimately we weren’t able to locate it without more information on where it was lost.

Since we were looking for a large object, I was digging most signals that I thought could be a part of the lost breaker bar when I got a nice high tone in my headphones and decided to dig the target.

About 5 inches down I found this The Anti-Automobile Thief Association of America badge from 1924-1925.

aabadge24.png

The date is difficult to see but top center I can see a date of 1924-25. According to research I was able to learn the following information about this interesting piece of history:

antiauto.jpg

“This early 1920’s photo courtesy of Fred Carlton shows two armed representatives of the Anti-Automobile Thief Association of America in a Stutz Touring Car in Dallas, Texas; it gets the message across that they meant business.

If the rifle didn’t make the message clear, its newspaper advertising campaign would as it stated: If you have a hankering for a sentence behind prison bars STEAL A CAR belonging to a member of the AATA. For we know you methods and you don’t know ours! We never stop until WE GET YOU!

An article in The Insurance Press December 7, 1921 issue about the Union Insurance Company of Wichita, an automobile underwriter, states that the AATA was also a Wichita product. The Company also required its insured to be a member of the AATA which cost the car owner $15.00 per year.

The Anti-Automobile Thief Association of America (AATA) was first formed in Wichita, Kansas, probably in 1918, the year its name was copyrighted.
References were found to the AATA being a parallel organization to the Anti-Horse Thief Association which was first formed in 1854.”

Historical pieces of Americana like this are what make the hobby of metal detecting so interesting.

These types of artifacts teach us about the past and how life was in days gone by. I had never heard of The Anti Automobile Thief Association of America prior to finding this badge so it was a pleasant surprise to learn about the history behind my most recent find.

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of that before.....very cool and a swell piece of automobilia.

Thanks, yeah I had never heard of it either, we never know what kind of Americana we're gona find! Like you said, before this I hadn't heard of the organization, but the research reveals a very interesting part of USA history!

Likewise, I can not find a picture of another one, anywhere!!!

Thanks for checking it out!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting & Cool Piece ! I Have been aware there used to be anti Horse Thief Associations.
around here.

Wasn't aware of the Auto Assoc.
Pre AAA

The Guthrie daily leader. (Guthrie, Okla.), 27 Dec. 1916.

0000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

The Topeka state journal. (Topeka, Kan.), 27 March 1917.
0000aaa.jpg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Abilene weekly reflector. (Abilene, Kan.), 07 March 1918.

000111.jpg
000222.jpg
000333.jpg
000444.jpg
000555.jpg

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GREAT INFO JEFF!!! Thanks for adding to the thread, I learned couple things!

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff, is says 1924-25 right on it :)

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I DO appreciate your help, and info shared! This one was found in NW Arkansas, but it's only like 45 mins to kansas... this was found in what was once a resort town from the 1920s-1930s. Folks that were able to afford the amenities had to be fairly well off back then to go to that resort, I sure wish I could pin down WHO it was that this belonged to. Like you, I was interested to find out that the organization began as the Anti Horse Thief Association! I had a lady contact me recently, apparently she is in possession of one of these as well.

For me, personally, these types of finds are what detecting is really about. I love finding silver... especially silver coins, but IMO this type of find is much more special as it is more rare, and tells a story of our past. There were millions of silver coins made, and still available... try to get one of these on ebay or a coin shop! lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep & though I haven't Found the Full History of the association,
if you look close at the Emblem it has 3 A's on it.

theeeef.jpg

So I do Believe it Morphed into AAA

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and story as well. Man, this organization would really be kept busy today in Atlanta.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How very cool! Great catch. 🙌

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice piece Ozarks. With a cool story. I have thought about until now. But before VINs, SNs, and most cars primarily being black and most being of the same make. I can see were it would have become an issue.

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I agree it's a neat find and piece of our history. From the sounds of it, thieves didn't ant these fellas on their trail! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread