Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past October, I was hunting with my Harbor Freight 9-Function MD that the kids had bought for me as a present. It was the first time I had ever gone MD'ing. I decided to try a place with known history (War of 1812). I have access to a location that not too many other people have, due to various reasons, and decided I was going to try there first. The HF unit has no VDI display, only one tone, and little discrimination, but it goes pretty deep and seems to pick up on targets a good deal smaller than a lead .22 bullet.

I basically had to dig everything that rang ("All Holes Matter", as the Hoover Boys say). After a few hits that I could not even locate (I didn't have a pin-pointer at the time), I found a waxed paper wrapped bundle of coins about 3" down, below soil and gravel. The bundle was wrapped in successive layers of this paper, with each layer being wrapped in the opposite direction from the previous layer (if that makes sense). Inside the bundle along with the coins was a piece of dark red, felt-like, crusty, material that reminded me of the felt rings you put on your car's battery terminals. The bundle was also tied closed with a piece of red thread. A few inches away, I located another bundle and then another few. The last few bundles were found with me not even using the metal detector anymore. I just figured I'd dig down about 3" along the whole wall section :)

Along an attached wall, I found an ancient looking baby food jar containing 97 Mercury Dimes, also at about 3" deep. There was a piece of the crusty red fabric in this jar, just like with the waxed paper bundles.

In all, the coins were pretty much clean with only a few being tarnished. The oldest was from the 1880s(Morgan) and the newest from 1976(quarter).

2nioc5z.jpg

Top left corner is all foreign coins, big one being Mexican, and even a Chinese coin from 1950. It has both Chinese writing and Arabic numerals on it. The 2 elongated pennies have religious printings, one is The Lord's Prayer, and the other, The Ten Commandments. The dark half dollar on the right is a Barber.

116sv10.jpg

97 Mercury Dimes laid out by date (older ones on the left), at work, hoping for one on the rarities list. None found. Most were from WWII era

Last edited:
Upvote 24

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is fascinating! how long were you out there? I would almost bet there is more

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show.You don't need to spend a million bucks on a M.D. .... Well done :)

OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is fascinating! how long were you out there? I would almost bet there is more

I was out for maybe an hour max. The area is basically a small courtyard. I was time constrained the first time I was there (lunch break). The dimes were actually found the second time I was there. When next I go back, I'll hopefully find more, as I now have an Equinox 800 ☺
I had been hoping for some War of 1812 era items, or something of the time period the building was built, which I believe was around 1900 or a bit earlier. The structures in the area were all military buildings at the time of construction. Nowadays, they are privately owned and commercial. All in all, I found nothing in the way of historical artifacts at the site...so far.
I'm "assuming" someone (probably elderly) in the 1970s/1980s decided to squirrel away their coins, for whatever reason. Then maybe 20 years later, access was blocked off from the general public. When I made the find, the newest coin was over 40 years old.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
andygold, FIRST time out? wow, in 30yrs that has never happened with me, now what a "Rush" that must of been. RTR is right, in that you don't really always need to spend a lot for a detector, simple case in point, not long ago, four of us went detecting at random, just happened to stop at a ball field. With the four of us, there was one Minelab 3030, a Minelab Safari, a Minelab EQ 600, and a Garrett Ace 150, the 150 found a GREAT 14k gold ring. Go figure. Great find andy, Hmmm.......now, where do you go from there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woowza bet u have a upgraded detector now and a addiction issue

OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
andygold, FIRST time out? wow, in 30yrs that has never happened with me, now what a "Rush" that must of been. RTR is right, in that you don't really always need to spend a lot for a detector, simple case in point, not long ago, four of us went detecting at random, just happened to stop at a ball field. With the four of us, there was one Minelab 3030, a Minelab Safari, a Minelab EQ 600, and a Garrett Ace 150, the 150 found a GREAT 14k gold ring. Go figure. Great find andy, Hmmm.......now, where do you go from there.

Thing is, I feel a little ruined! I'm probably never going to find anything like that again. Probably all downhill from here. I liken it to a bowler who rolls a lucky 300 game, and then is forever chasing that 300, but never gets one again.
With that said, I now have a machine that can find stuff that other machines have missed. So, the mental spark now is to locate those skipped-over items. Would like to find some gold rings wrapped in iron nails.:tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The images keep disappearing. Can anyone recommend a good, free image hosting site that works with forums. Photobucket and Tinypic have deleted my images.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the pic are on your computer, click the icon below reply (3rd from the right, little pic frame) and use that to post photos.

Really want to see your goodies!

Congrats!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well bowling is a poor exsample --because once you bowl a 300 you can never do better ...with metal detecting that's not the case --after a super duper find --there is a slim chance you actually can do even better---tough but possible

OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more time. Lets see if this works

Cache photo 2.jpg Cache photo 1.jpg

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Very cool. there's a good chance this ends up being the best find of your life but hey, who knows? Go find another one!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'd be hitting the same area for more, for sure. Congratulations on a dream come true.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you hit it big, early. :occasion14: Yep it's all downhill from now. :tongue3:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh, insane beginners luck. First hour out ever and found that? That is crazy awesome sir, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread