1626 Duit Holandia Cent

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all :hello:

Don't remember if I ever posted my oldest coin here. Dug at Pelham Bay Park, Bronx NY, about 800 feet from the Lagoon where the red brick wall run all the way down to the Lagoon. On the right of the wall was the old Huntington Mansion, who sold and donated most of the land to the City of New York. Funny thing is that, none of the Historical Societies, Museums, or parks department wanted this hammered coin with so rich history. I bet, if it were a Gold Specimen, they would have taken it away from me. Dated the same year the Dutch bought the Island of Manhattan, and for a this coin to be dug in the Bronx proves that commerce with the Indians was wide spread to the other boroughs or area of NY. :metaldetector:

I was hunting the outside of the wall I mentioned, and the areas I was hunting were riddled with iron and relics of all kinds. However, I can upon an area of about 20X20 Feet were there was no iron at all. I found this very interesting, so I slowed way down on my swing and ground coverage, and received a solid MineLab Mid tone with a number reading of 38 jumping to a 44, and on the screen, a bit higher than an Indian Cent reading. So, I carefully dug through the first 6 inches of coal ash and mixed black dirt, at 6 to 8 inches, the rich brown soil began to show. :metaldetector:

A little pass 8 inches, I dug my Samson spade into the side of the hole, so as to not damage the find, which I had pin pointed, flopped the soil up out of the hole, and I can see the coin as it went up from the hole and land on the mound that I had dug, and as I looked down, I could not believe what I was seeing... I can read from standing that the date read 1626... I was in disbelief. As I knelt down to take a closer look, it as if everything around had change, the wall had disappeared, as I took the coin in my palm. It was like I went back to the that spot before any development had been made. I guess, I went through a kind of Euphoria of time travel, as that coin vibrated in my hand. A total Rapture at the moment f such a great find... Happy Hunting. :metaldetector:

Philo

PS Up date: A few weeks later, parks department began making improvements to the same area, and I would have never gotten the chance to have dug this historical coin. There are two photos of the coin, one is in a sketch of what the coin looks like, if it were in mint condition, and the one next to that, is a photo I got off Google, which shows one o environmental damage, and my dug 1626 Duit in the safety folder...

Attachments

• 20171027_hol7.gif
    20171027_hol7.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 315
  • hol duit 1626.jpg
    hol duit 1626.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 142
  • SAM_2298.JPG
    SAM_2298.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 201
  • SAM_2296.JPG
    SAM_2296.JPG