Trade point with part of arrow shaft

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an Indian trade point I dug a while back. Didn't know at the time what it was and wondered what that wood was inside of it. Glad I didn't toss that piece. It's kinda shriveled from its age, but you can see the tip is squished where it was jammed into the trade point. The brass preserved the wood inside there. Found this in a place I think was perhaps an early trapper's camp due to a large amount of flat buttons and other related period 1700's relics. I always like to imagine a party of Indians firing upon them and that's how this came to be there. Perhaps it even met an intended target.

Picture 063.jpg

Upvote 6

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Those 18th century items are near impossible to get anymore. Most of the known sites have been hit previously, and these days you just have to get lucky.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. Those 18th century items are near impossible to get anymore. Most of the known sites have been hit previously, and these days you just have to get lucky.

Thanks, Smokey. Yep, you are right. This place was a huncher spot near a spring in a field so I did get lucky on this spot for sure. You are right, most known sites have been hit and leftovers are good to go after from time-to-time, but I like to get a four course meal if possible (untouched and unknown spot.lol)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the awesome find! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good point Cool that the wood is still inside Nice

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Arrows used for killing men had barbs on them so they couldn't be pulled out.when strap iron ,steel,came along native Americans used it to make arrow heads.Strap steel was thin enough so if it hit bone the point would bend and form a hook so you couldn't pull the arrow out.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arrows used for killing men had barbs on them so they couldn't be pulled out.when strap iron ,steel,came along native Americans used it to make arrow heads.Strap steel was thin enough so if it hit bone the point would bend and form a hook so you couldn't pull the arrow out.
Would have been a horrible way to have died, that's for sure! I have a couple of iron ones too, which I found those at a 1700's fort site. Right where the fort wall would have been and those make me wonder if it was from an attack on the fort.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well,if a people were trying to destroy my people and the way of my life I would have no mercy whatsoever on them either.A horrible death is what they would get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread