Found a whole bunch of memories today...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Back in the 1970's when I was a kid growing up in Michigan, Mr. Warner lived across the street from my house. Mr. Warner was probably in his late 40's to early 50's, but to my brother and I, he was the "old man" who was always off deer hunting, snow mobiling, visiting his cabin "up north," and metal detecting. One day my mom told my brother and I to go across the street and see Mr. Warner's treasure. Reluctantly, my brother and I walked across the cul-de-sac to see the gruff, pipe smoking Mr. Warner and learn about his treasure.

Ok, if you've seen the movie National Treasure, there's a scene at the end where the characters enter into a huge room loaded with every kind of treasure imaginable. While Mr. Warner's "treasure horde" was not quite as extravagant, there is no doubt that my brother's and my eyes were popping out of our heads when we saw the boxes of coins, rings, other jewelry items, and relics that Mr. Warner had found over many years of metal detecting. We were HOOKED!

After bugging our mom incessantly, she bought us our own metal detector, and thus began our treasure hunting adventures. Mr. Warner was kind and patient enough to take us out with him on many journeys around Bay City, Michigan, and even took us "up north" to a Michigan ghost town.

Here is a picture of my brother and I (I'm on the right) at one of the locations Mr. Warner took us to...

medding2.jpg

My brother and I enjoyed many years metal detecting together, but then other things like goofing with friends, highschool, summer jobs, etc., resulted in the metal detector settling into a corner of the garage for many years to follow.

Fast forward to the mid 1990's. Reminiscing about my childhood and the memories of metal detecting with my brother Tim and Mr. Warner rekindled a flame that had been dormant for far too long. I bought myself a new metal detector and rediscovered the thrill of dreaming about and finding treasure, while being able to explore some really neat and historic places in and around the San Francisco Bay Area.

Over the past 12 years, I have armed myself with some of the latest and greatest metal detectors that today's technology has to offer...

IMG_6045.jpg

(missing from the above photo is the new Excalibur Minelab 1000 I purchased this summer)

My biggest problem, though, is that I never have enough time to get out and detect. Work, family, etc., all takes priority, and it is only every now and then that I slip out for a couple of hours here and there to hit a park or, more preferably of late, some shallow water and sand. I have an 11 year old son who has a Garrett Ace 250, but he doesn't seem to have the patience that I had at his age. He has fun when we go out, and he's uncovered some good finds, but he doesn't want to stay out for hours and hours like his old man.

So, today I was looking back through a couple of boxes full of stuff that I've found all the way back to when I was a kid, and realized that I have not done to bad at all with this "part time" hobby. So I've taken some pictures to share of the interesting stuff. I have hundreds and hundreds, maybe even into the thousands of clad coins - I am not going to bore you with photos of these dirty coins.

First up is an interesting collection of dog tags I've found over the years...

IMG_6771.jpg

My favorite one is the "Livingston County Dog Tax - 1927" tag I found at my in-laws' old farm house in Pinckney, Michigan...

IMG_6772.jpg

I now live in Marin County, California, and I've found several neat dog tags from the sixties...

IMG_6773.jpg

Next up is this interesting mix of odds and ends that ended up under my coil at one point or another over the years...

IMG_6775.jpg

Close ups of a few of these items reveal some neat stuff...

IMG_6776.jpg

IMG_6777.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

I've found a few interesting foreign coins as well. Each time I dig one of these odd foreign coins, I wonder how it got to its final resting place before being dug by me...

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6780.jpg

Jewelry??? Yes, I've found a fair share of rings and things over the years too. Here is a batch from when I was exclusively hunting on land...

IMG_6798.jpg

IMG_6804.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

And since I've started hunting in shallow water here in the San Francisco Bay Area, as well as Cape Cod for two weeks each summer, the jewelry finds have improved with a neat 14K crucific ring, and my first ever platinum in a large men's wedding band...

IMG_6781.jpg

Besides wheat cents, I have not found very many other old or silver coins in all of the time I've been detecting. Pretty much all of them fill up one page in a coin binder sleeve...

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6790.jpg

My brother and I did find a 1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar at a high school back in Michigan when we were kids, but it got misplaced over the years. I have pretty much everything else we found back then, including this V Nickel we found in a farmers field...

IMG_6791.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

And the only Indian Head I ever found, but WOW is it ever in nice condition. Found it at an old school house in Pickney, Michigan down the road a ways from my in-law's farm house. The school house has been a regular residence for a very long time now, but the owner let my father-in-law and I detect around it a bit. He told us that others had been there over the years to detect, but they left this beauty behind...

IMG_6788.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

As much as I'd love to find more old coins and more silver coins, I have found several pretty neat tokens over the years. These three I found at my in-law's old farm house in Michigan...

Light's Golden Jubilee - Thomas Edison - 1879-1929
IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6784.jpg

Marquette Musical Company Player Piano Token
IMG_6793.jpg

IMG_6794.jpg

Half Dollar-sized Good Luck Token (note the swastika in the crystal ball)
IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6796.jpg

My strangest find to date has got to be what appears to be very old metal dental work. Not sure if this is platinum or palladium, or some other special metal that starts with a "p" that dentists use, but you can definitely see the shapes of the teeth this thing covered...

IMG_6806.jpg

And now I come to the end of my walk down memory lane. But not before I share my oldest coin to date - an 1837 Canadian Bank Half-Penny found in the woods far behind my in-laws' farm house in Michigan...

IMG_6785.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

... and my BEST find ever, found about five years ago in the back yard of a house my mother was renting in Marin County, California while showing my then 6 year old son how easy it is to find coins with a metal detector...

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg

Yep - that's an 1886s $10 Eagle. Funny... my brother and I used to sit up late the night before a planned hunt with Mr. Warner, and we would talk about finding a gold coin. We never found one back then, but it was just as sweet to find one as an adult, while detecting with my own son.

So now I'm all jazzed up and ready to head out somewhere this week. I'll let you know what I find.

Upvote 0

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Great bunch of finds you have! And also a great story. I like that Livingston County dog tag.......I grew up & lived there most of my life, and also lived in Pinckney for a short time. I hope to get back there detecting someday soon.

Paul

Gulfcapt25

Aug 23, 2007
New Orleans La - The Big Easy-
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow! Your finds are awesome. Im just a rookie in the metal detecting game, but I really enjoy it. Your finds and story are inspiring, they make me want to get a flashlight and go find some park ( its midnight here LOL) and go metal detecting. Thanks for the great pictures, and history of your metal detecting. John

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
Great Pics and Real nice story, It was almost like walking though time with you.

Whata way to find a gold coin , With you son watching and all.

mrtoog

Greenie
Jun 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer se, whites prizm III
awesome post. I really enjoyed reading it.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Time4me,

This is the first time I have read one of your posts so let me take the opportunity to say welcome to treasurenet.

Extremely great entrance as well. I have not seen your other posts and the finds associated with them, but this post is a great one. Very nice collection of finds. Congratulations you have done extremely well.

Postalrevnant

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking gold & great story.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds there. Including the 10 dollar gold coin. As an aside, thought that you might like to know, that back at the turn of last century, the swastika symbol was a "good luck" sign. Just goes to show what someone can say or do to change the meaning of things over time. Nice post.

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
WOW I'm jealous. Your collection is awesome. And you have a nice arsenal of metal detectors also.

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
outstanding story!

wondering what your brothers reaction was when you told him about the gold coin?

some things in life never leave you. the might come and go, but they never leave you. wondering what might turn up in that plug of dirt is an amazing feeling.

im still looking for my first gold coin!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoyed your walk down memory lane..you've had some wonderful finds through the year. I'm glad to hear that your son can enjoy the hobby with you. My husband's family has a cottage on North Lake in the Dexter/Pinkney area of MI. You've inspired me to bring my detector next time we visit!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story and pictures!! That detector you and your brother are holding in the first picture looks like the same Whites Coinmaster I used when I first started detecting back in the early 1970's as well. Same thing happened to me - I was 150% gung ho for a couple years until baseball, basketball, hanging out with friends and girls came along :)

Dabbled now and then during the 1980's and 1990's, but finally got back into it as a true hobby again a couple years ago.

I enjoy doing it just as much as I did the first time I went out and I'm still excited every time I get a "good" signal wondering what it's going to be this time!

Thanks for the post

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread