1926 F6 Canadian Nickel: The Bucket Lister I Never Knew I Wanted

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happened last year. It was yet another ordinary drive up to Maine. However, I was always wasting gas and stopping to go check out Coinstar machines, waiting to find a score! Now I've found Peace Dollars, Morgans, Mercs, old foreigns, you name it. However, I was surprised when I found this coin on top of a machine in a store I've never visited since I found the coin there (due to it being inaccessible most of the time!). This nickel from Canada seemed well...different! It obviously was dated. I checked the other side of it, and was pleased to find that it was minted in 1926. However that wasn't all I found out about the coin. I researched it further, and brought it to a coin shop to double check. Imagine my shock when I was offered $90 on the spot for the nickel. I politely refused, but it definitely made my day. It's not every day you find a Canadian 1926 Far 6 nickel. I've stashed it in a place where only I can find it where family lives in Maine. I'll be grabbing it when I get the chance again so I can bring it down and get it graded.

It was the first key date coin I've ever found, and will always remain as one of my favorite finds of all time. Not bad for being found in a Coinstar machine. Whenever people ask me why I look, I show them the picture! In this condition, it's worth anywhere from $100-$300, grade dependent. I'm sad that it's scratched and damaged, but it's a good find nonetheless. I hope to get it graded soon!

attachment.php

Upvote 7

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW great snag off the top of the machine! :icon_thumleft:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, been an avid nickel hunter for years now. Absolutely love those "Big 5s" as we sometimes call them.

I've been looking for a Far 6, Far 2 and a 1925 for years and for you to stumble on one of the very few.... I am ever jealous.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow to find that that's freakin sweet!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread