Enquiring minds what to know!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 30 years ago, I was planting pines for paper companies in Ouachita Parrish Louisiana and had brought a book from home by a rich Englishman who visited Ouachita Parrish in 1833 and again in 1844. In 1833, he described it as rolling hills with trees that would take 8 men holding hands to reach around. In 1844 he described it as clear cut with gullies over 100 foot deep with petrified trees bridging them that you could drive a horse and wagon across. I was planting on a 1300 acre clear cut / burn site that was burned to bare ground and saw huge gullies with 6 to 8 ft. across petrified logs bridging them. It was like I had stepped back in time. One day on the site, I was hearing water running but there was nothing but bare ground as far as I could see. I kept planting and found a hole about 3 ft. across that went about 20 ft. down to a running underground stream. I had the willys until we finished the site.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought home over 500 pound of petrifed wood that season. By the way, COOL FIND!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 30 years ago, I was planting pines for paper companies in Ouachita Parrish Louisiana and had brought a book from home by a rich Englishman who visited Ouachita Parrish in 1833 and again in 1844. In 1833, he described it as rolling hills with trees that would take 8 men holding hands to reach around. In 1844 he described it as clear cut with gullies over 100 foot deep with petrified trees bridging them that you could drive a horse and wagon across. I was planting on a 1300 acre clear cut / burn site that was burned to bare ground and saw huge gullies with 6 to 8 ft. across petrified logs bridging them. It was like I had stepped back in time. One day on the site, I was hearing water running but there was nothing but bare ground as far as I could see. I kept planting and found a hole about 3 ft. across that went about 20 ft. down to a running underground stream. I had the willys until we finished the site.

I like your story I've read it a couple times since joining. Must have been amazing to see that!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearcut / Burn sites are horrible things but great for hunting relics, fossils and cool rocks. The paper companies would buy large tracts of mature hardwoods that were of no value to them. The would fly over and spray the equivalent of Agent Orange which would cause the hardwoods to die. Then a year later, they would fly over again and napalm the site and what once was a beautiful hardwood forest is reduced to ash. Some of the trees would burn several feet into the ground leaving holes that rattlesnakes loved to den in. This was and still is being done to thousands of acres every year. In 1985 I saw a sign that said it was the 3 millionth acres of pines owned by Johns Manville. I planted over half a million loblolly pines in 4 winters down south.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread