Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tnet friends , I thought I would put my collection up of my best finds . All but two of these buttons came from a camp site in Germany that stretched from 1792 through 1813 .The other two were found just by luck at other locations. It was the adventure of a life time . The camp was about an hour drive from the village where I lived so I could only make it there about three times a month and most of these buttons were found my last six months in Germany. A friend of mine did the research on the place and we went there on one Saturday with hopes of finding the right area. After hunting some low ground in the rain and not finding what we were looking for we relocated and right about dark I dug a 27Th regiment button and about 20 dropped musket balls .One button that I found is very rare.The 136regiment was mustered in in 1813 and mustered out at the end of the year due to battle causalities. I went back as often as I could get away from work and when the wife would give me a kitchen pass.LOL It was a dream come true and looking back I wish I would have taken some leave and hunted there every day for a week or so . The area also gave up a few roman items and lots of coins and relics. Like I said it was the high point of my detecting career. I put back in for overseas but I am stuck in ND for a couple of years at least . Thanks for looking and HH. :)

Attachments

• Sep13_03nnavy.jpg
    Sep13_03nnavy.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,072
  • Nov26$07cannon.jpg
    Nov26$07cannon.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3,201
  • Sep20_02bestb.jpg
    Sep20_02bestb.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,787
  • Sep20_03ball.jpg
    Sep20_03ball.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,907
  • Sep13_03nnavy.jpg
    Sep13_03nnavy.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,058
  • Nov26$07cannon.jpg
    Nov26$07cannon.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3,172
  • Sep20_04136reg.jpg
    Sep20_04136reg.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3,258
  • Sep20_08repfrench.jpg
    Sep20_08repfrench.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,010
Upvote 1

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Dang Trent, a couple of years ? Can´t you get some 5 Star General that goes detecting to ship you back out. Tell him if he does, we´ll let him come on a couple of hunts too.
Got some nice Medieval Cast Iron figures the other week, one maybe even older.
HH Ray

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps if you have friends in high places but unfortunately I don't.LOL I have been told its four years if you transfer statside but you can go back overseas in two but I have not seen anything in writing. I sent an email asking where I can find out the time lines but they just changed a lot of the rules so no one seems to be able to give me an answer. It is not bad here ,the people are great and work is good but it is just a bit on the boring side. Sounds like you have been making some nice finds congrats. I went out yesterday and dug about 20 shotgun shells and an old fork.LOL

Attachments

• Sep20_09fcoins.jpg
    Sep20_09fcoins.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,927

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
I was going to throw them away as Iron junk, but I thought maybe they might be old nails or something (Just large blobs of rusty iron), so I put them in the Electrolyte bath, and one came out as a figure, and now I´m doing another. Only use 12 volt 3 amp, so it´s slow, but ensures that not too much good metal disappears with the crud ;-)

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray I can't wait to see em! :) I was amazed how well a Electrolyte bath works .I did one for a super crusty cannon ball and after three days in the bath the crusty shell chipped away real nice. I had a guy off the net send me instructions and it was very easy to put one together but was pretty spooked the first time I plugged it in.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Trent, just make sure you wash your hands well after pulling stuff out of it, and don´t breath the fumes. I had a small nick on my hand the other day, pulled a piece out, and the salt and crud got in it, man, that burnt !! ;-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early collection. :)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great early collection Birdman. As you said, it is a pity that you did not have more time to look for more.
I think that stuff would look great mounted in a large picture frame and hanging on the wall ;)

God bless
Peter

Piorek

Sep 16, 2006
Poland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Great collection, congratulation! I live nearly city Pułtusk where was Napoleonic battel I never find button like this. Super!

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piorek ,thank you for the nice comments. :) I hunted a battle field close to where I lived for hours upon hours and only found one button . The main digs were musket balls and more musket balls .

Peter ,thanks much . That is my plan to put them in a nice wall case.I have one but it is going to take time for me to get them packed in there where they won't slide down.

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Awesome Collection!! :o :D

Hope you can get back there one day and continue the hunt....Congrats!! :)

HH, Hank 8)

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Hey, got a nice Silver ring in the locality today Trent :-)

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray,did you ever find out any information on your silver roman coin?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Hi Trent, yes, but still three conflicting views of what it is. Even the coin forums have different photo´s under the different numbers, so I´m still at a loss. On two, I had a picture match, but different numbers, on a third, picture match, but different lettering and mint ! :-(
HH Ray

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me a Roman silver coin would be the find of a life time even though there are some common ones that people find often.I would be happy with one of those commom ones for sure as long as I dug it. :) Ray, It looks like yours is pretty rare.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow birdman...I thought I was keeping up on your find's when you were over there,had no idea you had that many.That is a beautiful collection bird....you should be proud of that.HH!!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Hi Trent, That silver ring turned out to be a gold one with 2 diamonds when I got it cleaned ;-)
Plus got a complete hammered silver medieval, and a quarter hammered ;-)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one incredible collection of buttons.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy crap bud! You weren't kidding!

I as expecting a "small" collection...that is a beautiful pile of buttons! Way to go on some amazing finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread